Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just calculated that i can have a new kindle with a cover by February 2010 if I give up my 3 day per week
bagel and coffee at Panera.  There's no way I can pay cash, and I won't put it on a credit card.  Any other suggestions?
I'd like to know from users experience, too, if you feel the newspaper/magazine subscriptions are satisfying on a kindle?
thanks

·
Super Moderator
67,246 Posts
Save your change and take it to a coinstar that give Amazon gift certificates. . . . .you may be surprised at how much you have lying around. Also, do you have special occasions coming up? Birthday, Mothers/Father's day, etc. . . . .if people ask what you want tell 'em an Amazon gift certificate. . . . . . focus on the Kindle first. . . cover and other accessories can come later. . . . .

You may also be able to find a K1 for significantly less money. . . . many of us are perfectly happy with our K1's. . . me included!

As to newspapers, I get the Washington Post and it's generally fine. Doesn't have all the pictures and comics. . . .but also doesn't have all the adds. I read articles I'm interested in on Kindle and go to the website if I want to find out more or if I want to tell someone about an article I read. Figure to get the Atlantic on Kindle when my current paper subscription runs out. . .also got Ellery Queen which, since it's just stories, is just fine. It even usually has the funny little drawings at the start of each article.

Good luck. . . this is a great place to hang out while you're waiting but <fair warning> it can be hard on your will power! :D

Ann

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Have a garage sale and take the moolah to coin star.  Perhaps there are things you can do to help people.  My daughter is 36 and house sits, cares for animals while people are on vacation and she does some babysitting for co-workers friends that are in a bind.  Good Luck!  The Kindle will be well worth your sacrifice. 

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Following up on what Ann said: pay for everything with bills and save all the change -- use that for in the Coinstar machine for Amazon gift certificates (www.coinstar.com to find one near you that gives Amazon cards).

Return bottles and cans and save the money from that.

Ask people who give you gifts for birthday/Christmas/other events to give you Amazon gift cards.

Another suggestion I read on the Amazon board, way back when: pay yourself to do laundry. Keep a jar near your washer/dryer and every time you do a load of wash, put the amount of money it would cost at the laundromat in your jar. Our washer broke a few months ago and one load at the laundromat was $5! Yikes! (It had been awhile since I'd been to the laundromat.) At that price, it would take only 70 loads of laundry to buy a Kindle -- and that's not counting the dryer. At a minimum of 2 loads/wk (one light, one dark) you'd have a Kindle in 35 weeks -- and that's not counting the Panera money and other change you are saving.

Good luck and welcome to the club!

L

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I sold a bunch of stuff on ebay to earn the money for mine. It added up pretty quickly. I couldn't believe how much junk I had sitting around. I don't regret a single thing I sold.

Melissa

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
meljackson said:
I sold a bunch of stuff on ebay to earn the money for mine. It added up pretty quickly. I couldn't believe how much junk I had sitting around. I don't regret a single thing I sold.

Melissa
Good suggestion. In the PK (pre-kindle) days, I was selling lots of books on the Amazon marketplace. Don't have as many of those to sell now! LOL. DVDs sell well, too.

L

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I personally do not buy electronics off from CL but I'm always on there for car parts.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
I'm saving for a Kindle, too. I have jars of spare change all over my house. Sometimes when I'm out shopping I find coins in the parking lot and I always save these in the jars and call them Kindle coins. I also go to the jobs section on Craigs List every day and look for focus groups I might qualify for. I have done a couple of these and they pay pretty well ($50 and up). I've put the money I earned from these in my Kindle savings. The money is adding up fast.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I also used every bit of spare change I could find toward my first Kindle, and now use coinstar trade-ins toward gift certificate book allowance. I also use swagbucks that I read about here on Kindleboards - you can "win" swagbucks just by using their search engine. 45 swagbucks = $5 amazon.com gift certificate. It is free, and with normal searching takes about two weeks to get enough swagbucks for a GC. Oh, and they take trade-ins for cell phones and video games. http://swagbucks.com/?cmd=sb-register&rb=325899

1 - 10 of 10 Posts