Kindle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Very cute!!!! And I love that you probably have the only collector Oberon with the old button and new design  ;D

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
you should sell those. I love charms I would buy one

·
Registered
428 Posts
Is it attached to the elastic, or the button?  There is a thread around here somewhere... where the charm was attached to the elastic, which got caught on something, then snapped back and hit (left mark) on kindle screen.  Be careful.  It's way cute though.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's on the elastic, I'm using it as a pull to unhook the cover.

Patrizia, I might do that. I'm testing this one out and seeing if there are any changes or adjustments I need to make. Also want to see how it holds up to repeated use.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Rasputina said:
It's on the elastic, I'm using it as a pull to unhook the cover.

Patrizia, I might do that. I'm testing this one out and seeing if there are any changes or adjustments I need to make. Also want to see how it holds up to repeated use.
I was thinking about these as well--but I was concerned that the eyepins & headpins used in jewelry making really aren't meant to be handled constantly or with any torque. They bend so easily. I'll be very interested to see how you like yours over time, but it looks terrific right now!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Are you kidding, we are all born Enablers here..a few.. for a good price and color choices, I promise you we would be all over it.. ..we are not exactly shying away from commerce here :)

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I need to check out a few options for attaching them, because I used my jewelers pliers for that. I am going to try other ideas that would allow easier self attachment and removal without messing up the aesthetics.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
VictoriaP said:
I was thinking about these as well--but I was concerned that the eyepins & headpins used in jewelry making really aren't meant to be handled constantly or with any torque. They bend so easily. I'll be very interested to see how you like yours over time, but it looks terrific right now!
Yep. I just used what I happened to have on hand because I had an instant inspiration when I saw the charm. I kinda doubt that the pins will stand up to repeated use, so I'm going to investigate other options. I've never made anything that would be used in this way before.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Rasputina said:
Yep. I just used what I happened to have on hand because I had an instant inspiration when I saw the charm. I kinda doubt that the pins will stand up to repeated use, so I'm going to investigate other options. I've never made anything that would be used in this way before.
Lobster claw clasps: http://cgi.ebay.com/Free-Shipping-100pcs-Silver-Plated-Lobster-Clasps-10mm_W0QQitemZ270403747600QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ef551bf10&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1326|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

The smaller, the better. I'll try to remember to measure the one I have on a "charm" I picked up recently; it's the tiniest I've ever seen.

Since you've made jewelry, you know--the catch 22 is finding wire strong enough not to bend too easily by hand, but thin enough to go through the beads. An alternative would be something like tiger tail (plastic coated braided wire), which is meant to bend without breaking, or chain, which is what I was thinking about using on mine.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
!
Neo said:
Very cute!!!! And I love that you probably have the only collector Oberon with the old button and new design ;D
What do you mean "classic buttons"? Did Oberon change the button??

I have the exact same cover and charm minus the cute earring for my K1, Sookie!!!

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
VictoriaP said:
Lobster claw clasps: http://cgi.ebay.com/Free-Shipping-100pcs-Silver-Plated-Lobster-Clasps-10mm_W0QQitemZ270403747600QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ef551bf10&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1326|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

The smaller, the better. I'll try to remember to measure the one I have on a "charm" I picked up recently; it's the tiniest I've ever seen.

Since you've made jewelry, you know--the catch 22 is finding wire strong enough not to bend too easily by hand, but thin enough to go through the beads. An alternative would be something like tiger tail (plastic coated braided wire), which is meant to bend without breaking, or chain, which is what I was thinking about using on mine.
yep exactly that about the problem with strength and being able to string beads. I was debating tiger tail too, but I'm concerned that at the loop and pinch point it wouldn't be strong enough for repeated pulls. Have to test it. I actually thinking that a rosary bead style might be better strength wise. I have some small lobster claws but chose not to use it. I don't think it would look very pretty.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts