Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to have one that would start chirping very quietly, so that if you were sleeping lightly you'd hear it and shut it off, but if you didn't shut it off it would get progressively louder every minute, changing the type of sound a couple of times too, for about six or seven minutes.

It broke a couple of years ago, and wasn't fixable, and the company no longer makes anything similar, and I couldn't find anything else like that.

Today I realized that lots of people read these posts and have all kinds of good ideas, and maybe someone knows of a similar product <keeping my fingers crossed>.

I've been using a noisy one. I dislike it because it jars me awake, which tends to make me grouchy. If I use a quieter one, or a radio alarm, I usually sleep right through it. Having one that gets progressively louder is great because you wake up when it's the right volume for you, depending on how much sleep you had and where in your sleep cycle you are.

Anyone know of such a product?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
DH's clock/radio is like that. He has it set on music and it starts off soft and gets pr0gressively louder...the max being the volume level that you set. I usually hear it as soon as it goes off and his listening levels are louder than mine so I just end up nudging him to turn it off sooner :p It's really old though so I'm not sure if they still sell/make them. It's also ugly :p

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
My favorite alarm clock had a flashing light followed by a buzz.  The light usually woke me up before it started buzzing.  Small problem.  I can see light through my eyelids, but my late DH couldn't.  He wouldn't wake up until it buzzed and he hated that buzzer.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lights wouldn't wake me, partly because my bedroom gets bright anyway, especially in summer, and partly because half the time I sleep sort of burrowed into the pillow.

And unfortunately I sleep right through music.  I'd sleep through multiple volume levels of music and just wake up when it started buzzing loudly, so it would have the same effect as now. 

I don't care about "ugly", I just want it to work.  My old one was pretty though, nice and sleek, and only about 3" by 5" by 1/2", so it worked well as a travel alarm too.  And they claimed that they didn't sell enough of them to keep making them.  ???  ::)

·
Registered
159 Posts
It might be killing flies with a bazooka since you don't think a light alarm would do the trick, and it's defintely not for travel, but I have this and love it:

Sunrise System Dawn Simulator Alarm Clock

It's expensive ($115), but there is a gradual buzzer alarm option as well as the simulated sunrise option. For those who think light would work, oh, it's lovely and it uses your own lamp. I have a 150 watt bulb in a floor lamp and it wakes me up.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
chevauchee said:
It might be killing flies with a bazooka since you don't think a light alarm would do the trick, and it's defintely not for travel, but I have this and love it:

It's expensive ($115), but there is a gradual buzzer alarm option as well as the simulated sunrise option. For those who think light would work, oh, it's lovely and it uses your own lamp. I have a 150 watt bulb in a floor lamp and it wakes me up.
A gradual buzzer! Perfect!
You're right, it's overkill for me, but I could put that one on my birthday wishlist unless I find something a little cheaper before then.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have this one. Well, actually I don't think I have THAT one... but it's a smart set by emerson. Not only do I never have to set it, but it's got exactly what you're talking about, quiet to loud buzzer. I bought it from Target for probably $40. The one I found on amazon has a touchless snooze alarm which I think could be dangerous. I press the snooze button so much that just waving my hand? That means I'd be getting snoozed all morning long...

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gertie Kindle 'Turn to Page 390' said:
How about this one.

The bed shaker feature might do it.
Yikes. Doesn't sound particularly pleasant. And it doesn't have a gradual buzzing sound, so that one's definitely out.

But in the "frequently bought together with" section, I see...
"Vibrator Extension Cord (SBE115) for Sonic Boom Alarm Clocks - Extends 15 ft"
I mistakenly only read half of that at first, and then decided that I really don't know what concept troubles me more, an extension cord for a vibrator, or a sonic boom alarm clock.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shadowraven said:
I have this one. Well, actually I don't think I have THAT one... but it's a smart set by emerson. Not only do I never have to set it, but it's got exactly what you're talking about, quiet to loud buzzer. I bought it from Target for probably $40. The one I found on amazon has a touchless snooze alarm which I think could be dangerous. I press the snooze button so much that just waving my hand? That means I'd be getting snoozed all morning long...
Waving my hand to snooze some more? Ha! I'd never make it out of bed. As it is I have to put the alarm in a place where I have to get up to turn it off, because otherwise I'd grab it and stuff it under the pillow without fully waking up.
The Amazon one doesn't mention a gradual-buzzer option, but I'll check at Target next time I'm near there.

Thanks for all the suggestions, it's nice to see what options are available!

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Get one of these:

For several days running, feed it at the time you would like to normally get up, and for the rest of your life it will plop down on your face, stick its nose up one or your nostrils, or punch you in the eye with a furry little fist, typically beginning 4 hours before you want to wake up.

But you will get up on time, even on days when you want to sleep in.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thumper said:
Get one of these:
LOL! That was great.

But I already have three of those. And since they have dry food out all the time, they don't plead for food in the mornings. One of them has been spending her nights trying to burrow under the (firmly installed) carpeting for a few years now, but I'm so used to the sound that I don't hear that anymore either.

It's funny, really. I sleep through just about anything, but when DD has a bad dream or is sick, the tiniest little unhappy sound from her wakes me instantly. One of those weird mom things, I guess.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I use the alarm on my cell phone.  It starts off softly and then gets louder the longer you let it go, it does stop playing (I have it set to music but can set it to a buzzer) if you don't turn it off but will wait a few minutes and start playing again until you turn it off.  The other really nice feature is that you can set the alarm to just weekdays and never have to reset it unless you need to change the time you want to wake up.  Works for me.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
B-Kay 1325 said:
I use the alarm on my cell phone. It starts off softly and then gets louder the longer you let it go, it does stop playing (I have it set to music but can set it to a buzzer) if you don't turn it off but will wait a few minutes and start playing again until you turn it off. The other really nice feature is that you can set the alarm to just weekdays and never have to reset it unless you need to change the time you want to wake up. Works for me.
Same here... I use my cell phone.

We do have an alarm clock at the lake hosue that starts out very soft and gets louder. It also have 2 alarms settings (a his/hers setting, or weekend/weekday). I got it at Wal Mart, but I don't remember what brand it is.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well it does sounds as though there are plenty of of graduated-volume options available after all!  :)

I'll go hunting at Target and Walmart etc. next week.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.