Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I’m looking for a now author to read, I Like authors that use a main character through a series of book like Lee Child, Michael Connelly, or David Baldacci. But any good crime mystery author would be fine.

Thanks
Jerry

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
JerryG, welcome to Kindleboards!

Saw your "Next Page button cover" in the "Holding your kindle" thread (or whatever it was called).  Very clever, great post complete with pic!

Glad you're loving your Kindle!  I've no doubt that someone will post with tons of suggestions soon!

Betsy

·
Registered
731 Posts
Have you read the Spenser books by Robert Parker?
Travis McGee books by John MacDonald?
Matthew Scudder books by Lawrence Block?
Burke books by Andrew Vachhs?
Elvis Cole books by Robert Crais?
Dave Robicheaux books by James Lee Burke?
Alex Cross books by James Patterson (Caveat: Do not read anything else with his name on it They're co-authored (not a bad thing in and of itself) and mostly stink!)?
Lucas Davenport books by John Sanford?

I've read all of these and many others. Please feel obliged to ask me any questions you might have; this is obviously one of my favorite genres. You can find the series orders at http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk . Some of these are much darker than others, you should find something to read until Gone Tomorrow (Jack Reacher, No. 13) comes out on May 19th :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info Scott, I have read all of the Burke book and most of the Alex Cross books but I,m not familiar with the other authors.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just wished to second on Lucas Davenport books by John Sanford. My husband and I both enjoy the Burke series ( and my husband is a Lee Child fan), an the Prey series (starts with Rules of Prey) is one of our favorites.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Jerry and/or Beth,

I bought Another Life a few days ago but haven't read it yet. Have you? What do you think about the series ending?

Scott

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I third the John Sandford series featuring Lucas Davenport.  All 18 books currently published are available on Kindle.

Most of the Spenser books by Robert Parker (of which there are 35 or 36) aren't on Kindle yet, but it's a great series too.  He also has a couple of other series (not as many books in those yet) which are pretty good, some on Kindle and some not.

I don't foresee the Travis McGee series by John D. MacDonald ever being on Kindle, seeing as how it's pretty old and there are probably copywrite issues with MacDonald's estate, but it's a wonderful series that stands up to the test of time in re-reads (fun nostalgia stuff). That's one series of paper books I won't be getting rid of, unless it does happen to ever come out in ebook form.  Same with the old Dell Shannon series featuring Luis Mendoza.

J.A. Jance has a good Seattle cop series featuring J.P. Beaumont, as well as a series featuring an Arizona sheriff named Joanna Brady.  All books in both series are available for Kindle.  She also has a not as good but still okay series with a character named Ali Reynolds.

·
Registered
70 Posts
ScottBooks said:
I bought Another Life a few days ago but haven't read it yet. Have you? What do you think about the series ending?
I haven't read Another Life yet, but I am kind of glad it is coming to an end. The series had become somewhat labored, and had lost it's original spark for me.

Have you read a 'bomb built in hell', Wesley's book (free pdf of Vachss's site)? I just read it a few weeks ago, and while it was a little darker then I usually prefer I was glad to read it.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Steph H said:
I don't foresee the Travis McGee series by John D. MacDonald ever being on Kindle, seeing as how it's pretty old and there are probably copywrite issues with MacDonald's estate, but it's a wonderful series that stands up to the test of time in re-reads (fun nostalgia stuff). That's one series of paper books I won't be getting rid of, unless it does happen to ever come out in ebook form. Same with the old Dell Shannon series featuring Luis Mendoza.
I haven't read Travis McGee in a while, but like you, I won't be getting rid of my paper books any time soon. I have 11 of them.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Check out Laura Lippman. She writes great suspense, both as a series set in Baltimore and a few superb freestanding thrillers. Lisa Gardner is also really good. And Dennis Lehane is a master.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Steph H said:
I third the John Sandford series featuring Lucas Davenport. All 18 books currently published are available on Kindle.
Well, I wuz wrong. Sometime in the last few months since I last checked, #6 in the series, Night Prey, has been un-Kindleized (de-Kindleized?). And of course I only discovered that after I'd decided to re-read the series and gotten through #5. :mad: I hate when that happens. But all the rest are currently on Kindle, anyway...

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Steph H said:
Well, I wuz wrong. Sometime in the last few months since I last checked, #6 in the series, Night Prey, has been un-Kindleized (de-Kindleized?). And of course I only discovered that after I'd decided to re-read the series and gotten through #5. :mad: I hate when that happens. But all the rest are currently on Kindle, anyway...
Do you mean that once something is kindled, it can be un-kindled?

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
drenee said:
Do you mean that once something is kindled, it can be un-kindled?
I guess that would be. . . .wait for it. . . .extinguished. ;D

Seriously, I think this happens when there are formatting issues reported. Amazon pulls it down to be fixed. I guess it could also happen if it was put up prematurely, say, before the copyright issues were resolved. Remember, even if it's a series by all one author, there could be separate contracts or even separate publishing houses.

Ann

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Without question the Mitch Rapp series has to be included. This is the first in the series. 1. Transfer of Power (1999)
2. The Third Option (2000) 3. Separation of Power (2001) 4. Executive Power (2002) 5. Memorial Day (2004)
6. Consent to Kill (2005) 7. Act of Treason (2006) 8. Protect and Defend (2007) 9. Extreme Measures (2008)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm always looking for new authors as well.  Since I got my Kindle in October I really got into Jeffery Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme series.  If you haven't read him, you may recognize the first novel by the title since it was made into a movie a number of years ago...The Bone Collector.  I'll definitely be looking into the other authors listed here.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Go for Robert Crais--his books are amazing, and Elvis Cole is hilarious.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Wow, Scott took most of my suggestions...I'd also add Ken Bruen

1 - 20 of 35 Posts