Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in search of a new series to read on my Kindle...I'd like either a police procedural, legal or thriller series. I've listed a few of the authors I've read and enjoyed below. If you have any suggestions for me, please post them!

Anything about Alex Cross/James Patterson
Anything about Lincoln Rhyme/Jeffrey Deaver
Anything about Odd Thomas/Dean Koontz
Stephanie Meyer/Twilight Series (which I never expected to like in a million years)
Everything by Lisa Scottoline

Other favorite books/authors (non-series)
Edgar Sawtelle/Wroblewski
Stephen King
Anne Rivers Siddons
Memoirs of a Geisha/Arthur Golden
Jhumpa Lahiri

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have,

·
Registered
795 Posts
I think you'd enjoy the 'In Death' series by J.D. Robb (aka Nora Roberts). It's a police procedural (main character is a homicide detective) and a thriller series....the twist is that it is set in the future. Around the year 2058.

Wisteria Clematis

·
Registered
829 Posts
some that I've enjoyed:

Stuart Woods
John Burdett
Anne Rice
Christopher Moore (there is more than one, I'm talking about the one who wrote Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal)
Robert Ludlum
Robert Fate
Charlaine Harris (True Blood series based on)
Jean Auel
Janet Evanovich (pure escapism)
Michael Connelly
Lee Child

·
Registered
122 Posts
If you liked the Twilight series, I'd second Kirsten's Charlaine Harris books, the Southern Vampire series. A bit darker and definitely funnier!

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Lisa Scottonline's legal thrillers are all set in the same "universe," so to speak (modern day PA and its surrounding areas). They're fantastic.

Jason Pinter and Harlan Coben are excellent crime thriller authors I've just recently discovered.

I second J.D. Robb and the In Death series.

Since you listed Twilight, it seems you're open to some fantasy. If that's the case...

I've heard great things about Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, but I've not read them myself. There's a thread somewhere else in this section devoted to it.

On that note, the Harry Potter and Pendragon series are great too. They're pure fantasy but are rooted in a kind of reality as well.

Discworld, HP, and Pendragon are obviously not of the police/legal/thriller variety though. ;) (But they do offer plenty of thrills!)

EDIT: Argh! I forgot I was on a Kindle board. HP is obviously not available in that format (damn you, Jo Rowling), and only one of the Pendragon books (somewhere in the middle of the series) is there. Really weird. I hate when they do that. Everything else I mentioned has Kindle representation though, so you're good to go.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Johnathan Kellerman/Alex Delaware series
J A Jance/Sheriff Joanna Brady series
Nevada Barr/Anna Pigeon series
Catherine Coulter/FBI series
Linda Fairstein/ Alex Cooper series (Asst DA in New York)
Kay Hooper/The Bishop/Special Crimes Unit series
Jeff Lindsay/ Dexter series (Serial Killer fighting crime)
John Sandford/ Prey series
These are a few you might look at.  Yes on J D Robb's in Death series

G

·
KIM HARRISON!!!  sorry I get excited about her  :)

Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series is good but it can be tedious sometimes.  There is a syndicated series that just started a couple weeks ago called Legend of the Seeker.  It is loosely based on the books at best.  It's still a good show.

Kelly Armstrong's "Women of the Otherworld" series is good.

Stephenie Meyer's "The Host" is good.  I didn't like "Twilight" maybe because I am a 52 yo male but I do like the Host. 

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
I love this thread - I am a big fan of all of the authors listed in the original post and some mentioned in the recommendations.  I don't have the budget for this many new authors though! 

I hate to finish the last book an author has written - but having so many books on my Kindle and new recommendations from fellow readers eases the pain.

Susan

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Buttercup said:
What about the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich? I've not read them but have heard great things.
She's fantastic and one of my favorite female authors. So far she's up to 14 on the Plum series, not including the Christmas one. She also has two where the female character is into race cars.

Lawrence Block is also a good one and he writes in a similar style to James Patterson...fast moving and humorous at times.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Darn!! The ones that I was going to recommend have been suggested by others. :'( --Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse (Southern Vampire) books are all great reads. I don't usually like vampire books but I love these ones. I recently discovered J.A. Jance's Joanna Brady Books and have really been enjoying them. And of course I think EVERYONE should read the Stephanie Plum novels by Janet Evanovich they are hilarious. No matter how bad a day you are having all you have to do is pick up a Stephanie Plum and it immediately gets better-- because you could be having the day she's having. Plus with the Plum books its really easy to tell which comes next as they're all titled after what number in the series they are all the way from One for the Money to Fearless Fourteen.

Rla1996

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Wisteria Clematis said:
I think you'd enjoy the 'In Death' series by J.D. Robb (aka Nora Roberts). It's a police procedural (main character is a homicide detective) and a thriller series....the twist is that it is set in the future. Around the year 2058.

Wisteria Clematis
I'm going to third or fourth this - I'm addicted to this series, and also love most of your other favorites. I love this thread, lots of new suggestions!
And HI Wisteria, haven't seen you since the 3-27 board!
Jen
(was Jennifer L. Armbruster on the ordered 3-27 board)

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I am going to check out the Southern Vampire (True Blood) series. I read the first two Twilight books (and I am not afraid to admit I am over 40) and though I found them
pretty addicting, I was also frustrated with the main characters lack of self esteem, especially annoying since it is geared toward young women. Still I was planning to get the 3rd book and still may but this might be more up my alley. I have True Blood saved on my Netflix and the very positive reviews of these have me kind of excited. I have downloaded the sample and will give it a shot. Wow, how much do I love that sample feature!!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Buttercup said:
I'll be looking into some of these suggestions myself, thanks everyone!
I second Buttercup's statement...thanks for all the suggestions, when I finish the books I have lined up, these will be next.

Buttercup...I LOVE your bassethound siggy.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.