Kindle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there. I have a children's book I want to publish w Amazon and need an illustrator. The book has a market in which it will be sold but it seems the majority of decent illustrators want a few thousand dollars to illustrate. I tried my nephew and neice as they are both in school and pretty skilled but both declined the project. LOL. I want really good illustrations but am assuming I won't make a few thousand back if using Amazon to publish it. I am considering contacting schools for interns at this point. Wondered if anyone has thoughts about illustrations and also if it is viable to make money w Amazon publishing after paying a few thousand out to an illustrator. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
unruleyjr said:
Hello there. I have a children's book I want to publish w Amazon and need an illustrator. The book has a market in which it will be sold but it seems the majority of decent illustrators want a few thousand dollars to illustrate. I tried my nephew and neice as they are both in school and pretty skilled but both declined the project. LOL. I want really good illustrations but am assuming I won't make a few thousand back if using Amazon to publish it. I am considering contacting schools for interns at this point. Wondered if anyone has thoughts about illustrations and also if it is viable to make money w Amazon publishing after paying a few thousand out to an illustrator. Thanks for your time.
If you want really good illustrations, you should be prepared to pay a decent rate for them.

Kids' books are a notoriously hard sell for indies. You might do better to go for a trad publisher instead.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I used upwork years ago and founded a talented artist at a reasonable rate; I think it was $10 or $20 per page. She was trying to built out her portfolio and mostly wanted byline credit as the illustrator of the book.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Children's books are indeed a tough sell for indies... I've seen a few really nice ones out there, with neat stories, but the rankings are low, reflecting relatively few sales. It seems the deal is to get pro illustrations, paper books (instead of eBooks), and some sort of trad backing undoubtedly helps.

I put out a kids eBook a few years back, but the illustrations weren't pro and it got maybe 2-3 sales max. So I learned the lesson the hard way. And this was in 2014 or so, when the eBook boom was still a new thing. Now I'm certain it's harder for an indie to break in that market.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts