Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom and I are now looking for books with camping or backpacking stories (either fiction or non-fiction).  I'm on a huge kick right now... have found a passion for Yosemite, read Into the Wild last summer, and enjoy Man vs. Wild and other outdoor shows on Discovery.  If it involves a horse or horses, all the better for my mom.  If it's Kindled, all the better for me.

I've browsed Amazon but mostly when I end up arriving at are travel books :(

·
Registered
468 Posts
I loved this book. It made me laugh and almost made me want to hike, but...no thanks. Unfortunately not kindled.

Maxx

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Unfortunately it's not available for kindle yet, but it is a great book. One of my favorites, true story/memoir.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
If your more into short stories/yarns about camping/hunting oudoors give Patrick McManus a try. This one isn't on kindle yet but some of his others are.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Try Nevada Barr's "Blood Lure," which is set in Glacier if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
534 Posts
First of all, I second the Bill Bryson book. I laughed out loud at several points and was convulsing in giggles at other times.

Here is the kindle like for Nevada Barr's book mentioned above:

This is one of her books based in Yosemite:

I haven't read either of the Barr books; I read one that was set in the Nez Pierce trail. Several of her books are kindlized.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Here's another that looks good. My hubby read this one; I need to get to it sometime, but ours is the DTB version. Here it is in kindle form:

·
Super Moderator
67,326 Posts
Nevada Barr writes mysteries set in various National Parks; her 'sleuth' is a Park Service ranger.  Good stories if you are interested in the Parks or Park Service.  Not deep and meaningful, but enjoyable and informative as she usually includes some unobtrusive history of the Park, etc.  I do think her ranger gets moved around more then the average Park Ranger, though.  Also, like Jessica Fletcher, she runs into more than her share of dead bodies.  But that's the nature of these sorts of series.  :)

·
Registered
534 Posts
Forster said:
If your more into short stories/yarns about camping/hunting outdoors give Patrick McManus a try. This one isn't on kindle yet but some of his others are.

Ah, a fine, pleasant misery. My husband recites a poem to me everytime we go camping.

Here's another short story book that looks good:

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
frojazz said:
Here's another that looks good. My hubby read this one; I need to get to it sometime, but ours is the DTB version. Here it is in kindle form:

I'll second this one -- an extremely good read.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Another one that is not Kindlized, but it showed me the beauty of the desert (it's not fiction)

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
It seems that is it a little harder to get factual books for the Kindle for some reason, more non-fiction out there

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maxx said:
I loved this book. It made me laugh and almost made me want to hike, but...no thanks. Unfortunately not kindled.

Maxx
I checked this one out in the bookstore today since it was in stock... couldn't stop laughing within just the first few pages. Man, that bear stuff is really freakin' scary! I had to close the book at the "poop myself to death" scene because although it's a B&N and not a library, there are still quiet decorum rules I feel the need to abide by. So I am going to try and get ahold of a copy instead of buying, part of the reason I got the kindle was environmental. Thanks for the recs though!!! Since I'm in the desert I'm gonna try to check out that desert one too.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
frojazz said:
Here's another short story book that looks good:

I got this book for a couple of friends for christmas, and one for my boyfriend. I read some of it before he took it to work to read. He has a lot of down time. It really is a good book with some funny short stories.
deb

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you thank you for all those who posted here and PMd the recommendation of Walk in the Woods.  I'm around page 60 or so and I am laughing my butt off!  Books hardly ever (IF ever) make me laugh OUT LOUD, like actual sound escaping my lips :)  But this book is so hilarious I can't help it!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Although not a backpacking/camping book Bill Bryson has another one that I thought was really funny, I laughed out loud when I read this one too:

This one is kindled ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Tony Hillerman's books are good. They are not really camping stories, but they take place in the southwest and have lots of detail about Navajo culture. He wrote a bunch and it looks like many of them are kindleized. Here's just a sampling of links:

L

·
Registered
17 Posts
Maxx said:

Maxx
Maxx said:

Pee your Pants funny! I have given about 6 copies of this book away!

Maxx

1 - 20 of 21 Posts