Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loved loved loved Outlander.  (Did I mention I loved it??) :)  I notice that most of the people on here seem to enjoy thriller, disaster books, mysteries or CSI type stuff.  That stuff is way to depressing for me to read, so I am looking for some good recommendations for books similar to Outlander, maybe even Twilight, I don't mind Sci-fi as long as it's not a mystery type thing.  I most definitely do not like to read anything scary that could happy in real life (serial killers, hurricanes, etc..)  But don't mind a little sad in my books, I also enjoyed The Secret Life of Bees, though it was sad it was compelling. 

Anywho, I'd love some suggestions and links please!!  The longer the book, the better!!  Series are great too!

Cheers!
Rachel

·
Registered
918 Posts
I like reading Judith McNaught, Lisa Kleypas, Suzanne Enoch, Kat Martin, Sabrina Jeffries, and Julia Quinn

·
Registered
103 Posts
I really liked "Silent in the Grave" and "Silent in the Sanctuary." Both are set in Victorian England.

Also, I liked "His Lady Mistress" and its sequel, "A Compromised Lady."

And I like this series by Lynne Connolly.

I got this one because it's also my name, but it's a good one as well.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Here is a thread with a ton of historical fiction recommendations: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,1590.0.html

I personally loved:

I would say it's a historical fiction romance, but it does have elements of mystery and murder.

For sci-fi, may I suggest:

It's an excellent book with elements of sci-fi, fantasy and romance. The author is a member of KB as well, so many people here have read it (I'm reading it now and I love it).

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Athenagwis said:
Loved loved loved Outlander. (Did I mention I loved it??) :) I notice that most of the people on here seem to enjoy thriller, disaster books, mysteries or CSI type stuff. That stuff is way to depressing for me to read, so I am looking for some good recommendations for books similar to Outlander, maybe even Twilight, I don't mind Sci-fi as long as it's not a mystery type thing. I most definitely do not like to read anything scary that could happy in real life (serial killers, hurricanes, etc..) But don't mind a little sad in my books, I also enjoyed The Secret Life of Bees, though it was sad it was compelling.

Anywho, I'd love some suggestions and links please!! The longer the book, the better!! Series are great too!

Cheers!
Rachel
If you want to do another time travel, A Knight in Shining Armor ends up on a lot of keeper shelves:

If you like that one, the heroine's family (Montgomery) is present in a lot of the author's books. The author can be pretty hit and miss, but it's usually because she takes risks.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I just finished this:

A very nice romance that takes place in New York right after World War I. The author writes some great dialog. I'd definitely recommend it.

For a cowboy romance with a twist, try this:

It's a fasy, easy read with a very sweet story -- as I told the author, I'm a sucker for sweet! I enjoyed it very much.

L

·
Registered
138 Posts
I also love the Outlander series. I just finished Pillars of the Earth and the sequel, World Without End. I think anyone who enjoyed Outlander will enjoy these two books by Ken Follett.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Athenagwis said:
I am looking for some good recommendations for books.... I most definitely do not like to read anything scary.
Anywho, I'd love some suggestions and links please!! The longer the book, the better!! Series are great too!
Well, staying to the thread name, there's this book, which I read and have already recommended on another thread. Any book by this author is likely to meet your criteria, and they're all set in the Regency period, early 1800s England:

There's some suspense, but never anything very scary in any of Carla's books.

And then going by your further words, I hope no one will mind if I mention this one. Try the free sample first to see if you like it. There's scary and then there's scary. I don't think this is all that scary. Suspense, maybe? Search around the boards. I'll let others rule on that.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
These are two books, both brand new, by authors that I really enjoy. The books were only going to come out in paperback but through whatever process, clicking here or whatever--they are being released in Kindle versions, too. Yeah! I am so excited.

False Colors
by Alex Beecroft got an absolutely stupendous review on Dear Author yesterday. They gave her an A and these people never give As.

You can read the review here:

http://dearauthor.com/wordpress/2009/04/09/review-false-colors-by-alex-beecroft/

and here is a link for the book:

There aren't any reviews of Transgressions, yet, but I have really enjoyed everything Erastes has written so I am sure I will enjoy this. It takes place during the English Civil War. (I am ashamed to admit, I didn't even know there was an English Civil War! Oh well, I'll probably learn alot reading this book.)

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
MichelleR said:
If you want to do another time travel, A Knight in Shining Armor ends up on a lot of keeper shelves:

If you like that one, the heroine's family (Montgomery) is present in a lot of the author's books. The author can be pretty hit and miss, but it's usually because she takes risks.
I liked this one, it was pretty fun to read.

theresam

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you like Diana Gabaldon's writing style, you may also like Sara Donati. The first book in her series is called [i]Into the Wilderness[/i].

It is December of 1792. Elizabeth Middleton leaves her comfortable English estate to join her family in a remote New York mountain village. It is a place unlike any she has ever experienced. And she meets a man unlike any she has ever encountered--a white man dressed like a Native Anerican, Nathaniel Bonner, known to the Mohawk people as Between-Two-Lives. Determined to provide schooling for all the children of the village, she soon finds herself locked in conflict with the local slave owners as well as her own family. Interweaving the fate of the Mohawk Nation with the destiny of two lovers, Sara Donati's compelling novel creates a complex, profound, passionate portrait of an emerging America

Elizabeth and Nathaniel are wonderful characters and funny enough, Sara Donati works Diana Gabaldon's character Claire into one of the books. I can't remember if it is the first one or not.

Unfortunately, I don't believe the first book is available on Kindle.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Julie Garwood has several historical romance books and also Kathleen Woodiwiss. Kathleen Woodiwiss books are so good. She died last year, but all of her books are on the Kindle. My 3 favorites:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts