Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings and Salutations!

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Edmond Henry. I am an aspiring author who for the past two weeks have sunk my teeth into the world of posting on Kindle Vella.

So far, my numbers look pretty solid... I think... I have no frame of reference due to the facts I had just found out about Vella on April 28th and my first episode went live on the 29th.

Now on to the reason for this post...
I seem to be having trouble finding anyone who actually reviews Kindle Vella stories. I mean, I found hundreds of links to people who will read an E Book, but no mention if they would even take a look at an episode or two of a Vella.

In short, does anyone here review the works on the platform, and if so.... Where/Who the hell are they?

Thank you for your response.

-Me

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
SSDD. Everyone wishes they could get more reviews. Most review services don't work. Those that do (and that don't violate TOS) tend to be swamped and, at the end of the day, are very YMMV.

Most of the time, you just have to wait. Time and readers will eventually review or rate. Trying to push the process or take shortcuts seldom works.

I say seldom, because of course we've all heard of people paying for reviews etc. and the green monster bites us. Resist the temptation.

·
Registered
Of Claws and Inferno (Of Cinder and Bone #5)
1,099 Posts
Greetings and Salutations!

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Edmond Henry. I am an aspiring author who for the past two weeks have sunk my teeth into the world of posting on Kindle Vella.

So far, my numbers look pretty solid... I think... I have no frame of reference due to the facts I had just found out about Vella on April 28th and my first episode went live on the 29th.

Now on to the reason for this post...
I seem to be having trouble finding anyone who actually reviews Kindle Vella stories. I mean, I found hundreds of links to people who will read an E Book, but no mention if they would even take a look at an episode or two of a Vella.

In short, does anyone here review the works on the platform, and if so.... Where/Who the hell are they?

Thank you for your response.

-Me
My advice is if you're at zero, start small: friends, family, and colleagues. Ask them if they're willing to give it a read and post a review. It can seriously be just one sentence and that'll count--they don't need to write an essay. Most of the time, the folks in your immediate social circle are willing to do so if it's a genre they'd like, so if you can get to about 5 reviews, that's a good start for potential readers and for you to market the book.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
My advice is if you're at zero, start small: friends, family, and colleagues. Ask them if they're willing to give it a read and post a review. It can seriously be just one sentence and that'll count--they don't need to write an essay. Most of the time, the folks in your immediate social circle are willing to do so if it's a genre they'd like, so if you can get to about 5 reviews, that's a good start for potential readers and for you to market the book.
Does Vella have different review rules than Amazon in general? Amazon doesn't allow reviews from family and close friends, and they have busy little bots to detect if a review is from them...eventually...maybe.

So OP, I would check Vella's TOS and see if reviews from friends and family is allowed--assuming you value your account.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Does Vella have different review rules than Amazon in general? Amazon doesn't allow reviews from family and close friends, and they have busy little bots to detect if a review is from them...eventually...maybe.

So OP, I would check Vella's TOS and see if reviews from friends and family is allowed--assuming you value your account.
Your friends should be able to review it, depending. I still think that's a ridiculous policy to ban friends because often your friends DO genuinely enjoy the book and provide valid criticism of it. Amazon's also a hypocrite because they'd ban a friend from posting a review, but if some random chode gives you a 1 star and admits in the review they didn't read it, Amazon won't remove it, so I'm less inclined to listen to them as a result, but I get it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Your friends should be able to review it, depending. I still think that's a ridiculous policy to ban friends because often your friends DO genuinely enjoy the book and provide valid criticism of it. Amazon's also a hypocrite because they'd ban a friend from posting a review, but if some random chode gives you a 1 star and admits in the review they didn't read it, Amazon won't remove it, so I'm less inclined to listen to them as a result, but I get it.
I have to agree with this. I gave a book to a woman, and the deal was that she gets a free book and reads the ENTIRE book to review. She read the first chapter and poisoned ithe entire novel with a 1-star review. I went to her blog site, and she did the same thing with at least 1/3 of the books she reviewed.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I have to agree with this. I gave a book to a woman, and the deal was that she gets a free book and reads the ENTIRE book to review. She read the first chapter and poisoned ithe entire novel with a 1-star review. I went to her blog site, and she did the same thing with at least 1/3 of the books she reviewed.
Ugh, I'm so sorry to hear that. I wish I knew why people act so hateful for no reason at all. It's so frustrating.

·
Registered
7,755 Posts
Man, I thought I was the only one that knew this one! lol

The reason Amazon doesn't allow friends, family or closely related people through social media to review is because they are going to be biased. It won't matter if they really liked the book, are they going to one star you and still have to face you afterwards?

People abused the review system so badly Amazon had to clamp down on it. You don't like it? Blame those people, but know that you still have to follow the rules, or risk having your account terminated. And it won't come back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts