Kindle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like both Jim Butcher series and am looking for similar books.  Any ideas?

DeDe

·
Registered
463 Posts
DeDe said:
I really like both Jim Butcher series and am looking for similar books. Any ideas?
I also like his books and just read Spiral Hunt by Margaret Ronald - very similar in that they are in the same genre, action packed, have an underdog going against the seemingly favored enemy (but not overwhelmingly favored, as some books seem to do -- Dark Rain is one recent one, where the author has been compared to Butcher, but I didn't like nearly as well), and a good read that doesn't bog down.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The Dresden series certainly has a fun laid-back 'popcorn flick' sort of style that's hard to match. The Codex Alera series was a bit different but extremely enjoyable. I loved them both...
Now, as for what's 'similar'... tough call. If you haven't read Raymond Feist's work, much of it is definitely worth a read. He's got quite a few books and a number of them are available for the Kindle. Go to http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/f/raymond-e-feist/ to see the list by series and in order (I use that site a lot since Amazon/publishers are so inconsistent about naming books with the series order). If you want a series that's all available on the Kindle, start with the Conclave of Shadows series, leading into the Darkwar series.
I've enjoyed a great deal of Terry Brook's books as well - oo, actually there's a really good dresden parallel. Check out Terry's fantastic 'Word and the Void' series starting with 'Running With The Demon' (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/b/terry-brooks/) - I'm pretty sure the whole series including the followup series (Genesis of Shannara) is available for the Kindle. The word and void series is about people like Michael in the Dresden series - good stuff, and certainly his most well regarded series.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the recommendations...I ordered one of the books (Talon of the Silver Hawk), ordered a sample of the Terry Brooks book, and tried to look at Spril Hunt but it's not out until end of January.

Once I get my Kindle (in 3 months) I'll have lots to read!! :D

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
It's hard to find something as enjoyable as Jim Butcher's books. I read a lot of Terry Brooks and did not enjoy the first couple Shannara books. Are the new ones better?

You might like Glen Cook's Garrett, PI series.

·
Registered
277 Posts
You might also like:
C.E. Murphy (Urban Shaman series and The Negotiator series)

PN Elrod's Vampire Files books - Only #11 available in Kindle so far and its important to read them in order :'(
My SO likes her other series about a Vampire from a TV show, but I haven't read them yet - they're available through Baen webscriptions www.webscription.net/s-35-p-n-elrod.aspx

I'm still trying to come up with others that are most popular amongst my circle of Butcher fans.

Katiekat

Edit - I tried to put in links to the CE Murphy books and don't have time to try to figure out what I screwed up, I'll try again later, I promise!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually have 3 CE Murphy books on my coffee table...just bought them 2 weeks ago and couldn't read them fast enough...I think it's the Negotiator series, there are 3 books out so far, main character is Margrit.  I'll have to check out the other series.

DeDe

·
Registered
168 Posts
MonaSW said:
It's hard to find something as enjoyable as Jim Butcher's books. I read a lot of Terry Brooks and did not enjoy the first couple Shannara books. Are the new ones better?

You might like Glen Cook's Garrett, PI series.
You should definitely check out the 'Word and the Void' series and Genesis of Shannara followup I mentioned. Very similar to Dresden and set in modern times. Genesis is post apocalypse with same character lineage. Both have nothing to do with shannara (except the last book of genesis which is a loose tie-in).

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm also a huge Jim Butcher fan, and while I haven't found anything better than a new Harry Dresden book, there's a few that come close, haha!

Take a look at Kim Harrison's "The Hollows" series (first book is "Dead Witch Walking"). It's set in Cleveland, in a world where magic is known and regarded with suspicion by "regular" humans. Rachel Morgan, a bounty hunter and white witch, works with a pixie and a vampire to take down the bad guys. Good humor, good mystery.

I first found Jim's books by being on a Laurell K Hamilton mailing list, where he was also a member. When "Longshot" announced his first book was going to be published (back in 1999 or so?), I grabbed the first copy I could find, figuring if his humor and wit in the message posts carried over, I was in for a good read! :)

Anyway, Ms. Hamilton's "Anita Blake" series is a pretty good, and in the same vein as Dresden. (or rather, Dresden was in the same vein as her, since that came out later...) I can highly recommend the earliest books (1-9) in the series - Anita is a necromancer in St Louis, who occasionally works with the cops to solve supernatural crimes. My recommendation ends at book 10, when the author switches from urban fantasy to ... urban supernatural eroticism? The books change dramatically at this point, and I'll just leave it at that.

Tanya Huff's "Blood" series is another good one, which also pre-dates Dresden by a few years. The main character (Vicki) is an ex-cop in Toronto, dealing with various supernatural occurrences. In this case, the main character is NOT the one with special powers, but she manages to survive the series anyway, haha.

I've also really enjoyed reading Richelle Mead, Patricia Briggs, Kelley Armstrong, C.E. Murphy, and Charlaine Harris, each of which have various similarities to Dresden. However, most of those fall under the "Feisty Women With Special Powers Surrounded By The Paranormal" category, and you can read more about them in this thread: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,1104.0.html

If you want recommendations similar to the Codex Alera series, I'd say try David Eddings. The Sparhawk books are in two trilogies, The Elenium (Diamond Throne, Ruby Knight, Sapphire Rose) and The Tamuli (Domes of Fire, Shining Ones, Hidden City). The main character is an older veteran knight, rather than a young boy, but there's lots of magic and humor, and my husband the non-reader is actually reading this series for a SECOND time! The other set of books follow Garion (starts with him as a young boy), through two sets of 5 books each, The Belgariad series and The Mallorean series.

Another option, if you liked the Roman military and politics angle of the Alera books, is David Drake's Belisarius series. You can get the first four of those free in various Kindle-friendly formats from the Baen Free Library (first one is "An Oblique Approach").

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Funny you should mention "The Hollows" series. That is what introduced me to Jim Butcher, well, that and a library patron. I didn't really get into Ms. Harrison's novels (tried 3 or 4 of them) but instantly loved the Dresden novels. I need to check out the rest of his work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'd definitely recommend Simon Green's Nightside series. If you're into John Butcher, these should be right up your alley. If you like a ripping good space opera, Mr. Green's Deathstalker novels are also the bee's knees.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yes, if you liked The Negotiator series, you'll love Urban Shaman. This time I'm going to make the link work if it kills me: ;D
Book One:

She's also got a new one out that we didn't find in the book store but had to order, it was worth the wait, its set in an alternate Elizibethan age and is the start of a new series:

I second the Belasarius Series, it's one of the series I re-read regularly. You might also like the Honor Harrington books by David Weber if you don't mind either slogging through or skimming over his long technical explanations. Lots of exploding spaceships, derring-do, and really interesting characters. The first two books are available from the Baen Free Library (I think the url is above in another post) On Basilisk Station and Honor of the Queen. Also available for free is the first book of his "Empire from the Ashes" trilogy Mutineer's Moon The first 2 are really good, IMO, the third is passable.

Suggested by a friend is John Scalzi. I haven't read any of his books, I think this is the first book of the series, but don't hold me to it:

Edit - Another link being bad -SORRY! The book is Old Man's War. I seem to be doing random screwups with linkmaker today.

Katiekat

·
Registered
168 Posts
Suggested by a friend is John Scalzi. I haven't read any of his books, I think this is the first book of the series, but don't hold me to it:
Nope - nothing there. You probably meant Old Man's War (first in the series). Excellent series. Of course, now you're into Sci-Fi which is a bit different than Butcher. The Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell is fantastic as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts