Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have written a novelette for my five year old granddaughter.  I previously wrote a six piece story for her where I sent her a chapter a week for six weeks (because of covid I am not able to see her, so for now I am sending these to her).  I used Photoshop to print pages 2 and 3 on one side, then 1 and 4 on the other.  This was doable but, as you might imagine, a bit unwieldy.

The novelette has 15 chapters and I am guessing that each will take about 2 pages (8 sides) of 8.5x11" in landscape mode to print.  I can go back to using Photoshop to do this, but again, it is rather unwieldy.

Can anyone suggest software that might be able to help me with this?  I would like to be able to drop a chapter into the software and have it print 8 pages (2 sheets of paper) in landscape mode.  I use this side because I am able to mail it to her.

Thanks for your ideas -

george

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I'm wondering if anything will print pages 1 and 4 on one side, and 2 and 3 on the other.

Thanks -

george

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
If you want something formatted like a basic paperback book, Word will do it. All of my paperbacks are formatted in Word. You're next issue will be will your printer print double sided. If not, take it to Staples (or something similar where you live) and get them to print your .docx.

I'm perplexed why you would use PS. Are there are lot of images?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Images would have been nice, but I couldn't get anyone to create any.

I used Photoshop because Word will not print it the way I need.  I want to be able to fold the pages so that they make a small book each time.  That is why I need it to print page 4 and 1 on one side, and 2 and 3 on the other side.  Each chapter will use two sheets of paper, so I'll need to print pages 4 and 1, 2 and 3, 8 and 5, and 6 and 7.  If I could print it straight then using columns in Word would be easy.  Perhaps there's a setting in Word that I don't know about that will do this?

george

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
I don't have an answer to your question, I just want to say what a fun idea it is to write for your granddaughter. At that age, it's exciting to get anything in the mail, especially a story written especially for you.  :)

Most of us here use Kindle Direct Publishing Print, along with professional formatting software, such as Vellum. But the cost of the software and the fact you're not writing for publication means it's not a practical suggestion for your situation. I think your best bet is something like ImaWriter's above suggestion about having your novelette printed at Staples. I've heard of people doing that for short stories and such.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My printer will do two-sided, so that's not a problem.  Since having to remain at home my wife and I have been sending our grandchildren a weekly mailer.  I wrote a lot of five sentence stories for our five year old (the two year old just likes scribbling on the coloring pages we send) to help her start reading.  The last story I wrote for her was about her five plush unicorns.  This one is about 7,500 words and her mother will read it for her, with her reading the two, three, and occasional four letter words.

george

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Word will print like that. It's called "booklet printing". Google that for your version of Word and you should get precise instructions. It goes back 10-15 years at least. I've done it a few times.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It looks like Word does have a pamphlet option that I didn't know about.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Cheers -

george

·
Registered
466 Posts
- if you do not have a version of office (with word) you can get an inexpensive legal version of office 19 for under 5 from ebay as key. usually these sellers will also send you a direct download link from microsoft (both mac and windows work)
- if not, google docs can do the same thing you are looking for but word is more comfortable and has more options

For what you want to do there are very easy solutions, but it will take a few steps to go for them. Please use my list as search terms for youtube videos and add word or google doc to it - there should be enough to give you step by step instructions

- creating the format you want: 'how to change print settings / layout"
you can create an empty template with all your sizes of paper, columns and margins etc though the layout print settings.

- styles: once you decided on stil for font and chapter headings etc, you can "change style settings". this will allow you to create the look and make it consistent. not sure about google doc but in word styles can include things like"page break before chapter"

- make fonts bigger / nicer: think about the reading level of the kids and make a larger font size than usual, have more space between lines etc. you can find all of these settings as paragraph settings.

- in your case: if you are versatil with photoshop think about how you would do it there - then google for "how to do ... in word" - chances are good that sombebody already has written about that transfer.

- styles also can number automatically so to have your chapter numbers

- once you are satisfied, "save / use as template" - you have an empty template for your next work

- "save / export as pdf" - once you are done, you can easily save as or export your work as pdf

- every time you ask "can i do this with word" the answer is likely yes. Google docs is close but has some limits, but you can def. start there.

- getting images: this may be a bit much but in your case fiverr might be an option for you: there are a lot of childrens illustration gigs out there and if you find somebody you may spend a few dollars on a few images personalized. There is also a lot of stock photo sites out there. for creating nice little things for your grandchildreen, even google images will do.
HOWEVER - if you ever spread them outside your family, even with friends ,yo uneed to make sure you are in the clear regarding licencing rights.

bonus
- doing it again - you could think about a simple 'publishing process' - after each take think about what you did, what went well, what did not. Your grandchildreen may be young, but many authors here keep also an overview about their characters to make sure to to run into problems (color eyes, name of places)

- also creating more stories may be easier with outlining and by making your stories more about cliffhangers (so the kids wait for the next adventure ;) ). There are many good postings in here if you search for plotting, as well as good youtube videos. A three arc strucure is probably already too much, but it helps if you plan out a small series of books and then plot the characters. Depending again on the reading level I would decide on the length of a chapter.

- 'customer feedback' - keep notes about what interest the kids what they like what they want more of ;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
In LibreOffice (free office suite - https://www.libreoffice.org) it's called "Brochure Print" and you just click on it in the printer settings before printing.

It sets two pages on each side of paper, and arranges them so you can fold it all over and staple the booklet. This means the pages have to shrink eg if I want to print an A5 booklet, I do it on A4 page in LibreOffice Writer, but set all my spacing, margins and font-sizes about a third bigger than I want them to be in the printed version. Then, when I print it out as a brochure/booklet, it automatically shrinks down to A5 (ie 2 pages to a side).

The LibreOffice help page for this is here: https://help.libreoffice.org/latest/en-US/text/swriter/guide/print_brochure.html

·
Registered
466 Posts
Great point about libre office - personally I have been using office software for three decades now and really do not like the other stuff ;) - but there is also https://www.openoffice.org/

You are less likely to find videos / instructions for these free alternatives than for word or even google docs but the principle in both of them is the same - once you know what you want to do (f.e. example change printing size to pamphlet or other), you can just do the same in these alternatives. They are often setup very similar so you can transfer the knowledge over.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm not a big fan of Word but you should be able to set it up in landscape mode and then use columns to separate it into pages that can be folded. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In LibreOffice (free office suite - Home | LibreOffice - Free Office Suite - Based on OpenOffice - Compatible with Microsoft) it's called "Brochure Print" and you just click on it in the printer settings before printing.
It sets two pages on each side of paper, and arranges them so you can fold it all over and staple the booklet. This means the pages an A5 booklet, I do it on A4 page in LibreOffice Writer, but set all my spacing, about a third bigger than I want them to be in the printed version. Then, when I print it out as a brochure/booklet, it automatically shrinks down to A5 (ie 2 pages to a side).
The LibreOffice help page for this is here: https://help.libreoffice.org/employee monitoring software/latest/en-US/text/swriter/guide/print_brochure.html
LibreOffice is a pretty handy application
however i sometimes have problems when the page starts
a good alternative to ONLYOFFICE -an online collaborative editing suite combining text, spreadsheet and presentation editors.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
- if you do not have a version of office (with word) you can get an inexpensive legal version of office 19 for under 5 from ebay as key. usually these sellers will also send you a direct download link from microsoft (both mac and windows work)
While AFAIK these keys will work, they are probably not being sold according to license requirements and therefore not technically legal.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts