Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out if one of my books can be labeled as NA, so I was wondering if anyone could recommend me some NA books that have descriptive sex scenes. The books I have read all seem pretty tame compared to mine or the sex scenes fade to black before anything happens. I don't want people to be  :eek: because they expect different kind of sex scenes. So, did anyone read any NA books that are really steamy?  ;D

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
There are several NA books in the top ten right now. If you want to hit the popularity button, I would read those.  :)

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Can't think of any offhand, but here's a short discussion with hubby last week and we thought all new adult would have sex scenes - it's like YA but with sex, LOL!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, well, a lot of popular NA books have sex scenes, but I hoped someone would know which ones have very descriptive scenes so I don't have to buy every single one of them and check, especially because almost all are contemporary romances with tropes that drive me crazy. I bought one that was a bestseller and someone actually complained in a review that there was too much sex. It turned out the sex part was just one short, hilarious scene. If all sex scenes in NA are like that and people still complain, then I better put mine in erotica. ;D

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Start with Jay Crownover's Rule and also Hopeless by Colleen Hoover.

Rule has one pretty early on-- 1/3 through maybe? Hopeless is more 2/3 through to get to the first.

Stay in the range of that and you'll be A-ok!

·
Registered
90 Posts
"The Coincidence of Callie & Kayden" by Jessica Sorensen has very explicit sex scenes in it. And I second "Hopeless" by Colleen Hoover.

My own new adult book also has explicit sex scenes but it's not the typical contemporary romance that NA usually tends to be. It's a psychological thriller.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Jasinda Wilder's new adult book Falling into You just hit the USA today list. It's got plenty of explicit sex in it.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your suggestions! I'll check them out.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I recently read the two "Too Far" Abbi Glines books to see how steamy the sex was.  I suggest you try those. I wouldn't say they are extraordinarily steamy, but it's definitely written for titillation.

Most NA seems about on par with the heat level of a typical romance novel. However, I think they are just going to get steamier and steamier, so if I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about being overly explicit. Go for it. :)

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought one of the suggested books and searched for certain keywords, and now I nearly fell off my chair laughing. The character said the guy's penis is glorious. I'm dying. Am I the only who finds NA sex scenes hilarious? I'm having flashbacks to Fifty Shades with the whole ohmigod, holy god type of comments from the heroine. Maybe I'm too old to write NA. I have a bad feeling readers of NA would think my protagonist is a slut since she's very experienced and doesn't go  :eek: when she sees a naked guy. I should probably check another book. This happens when I choose books with the prettiest covers.  :D

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I can help you reduce the possible reads a little, but I've only read two.

Easy by Tamara Webber: The couple only have sex once (close to the end of the book), and it's a fade to black moment! The kissing scenes are good though.  :-*
The Vincent Boys by Abbie Glines: A little better, but most of the sex is talk and lustful thoughts. Although I quite enjoyed the action in the back of the truck.

I picked up both of these books from the erotica section of my local bookshop expecting steamy scenes. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement. Mind you, I was reading Jackie Collins at fifteen!  :eek:

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
You could also try If you Stay by Courtney Cole.

Of all the ones I've read, Jasinda's and Courtney's have the most explicit sex.

I've read a lot of the ones mentioned here.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I'm pretty sure most of the NA books that are popular don't have very explicit sex scenes.  They are the bridge between YA and steamy adult romance books.

But the industry is still trying ot figure out what is NA or not. So marketing yours as NA and has explicit scenes would be okay.  Maybe you will start a new trend.

I'm putting out a new story soon, called The Vampire Affair, and it's a mix of NA and the bastard billionaire trope, and it will have very explicit sex in it.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
The NA I'm releasing on May 1 will be fairly detailed, but the girl will be experienced and the boy not due to the circumstances. Not erotica-explicit, but the far end of Nora Roberts.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, so the scenes I read are a bit explicit, not exactly erotica, but I think I'm safe to put my book in NA. Mine is also an experienced girl and the boy not really. I'm tired of reading about inexperienced girls.  :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just released a novella, Getting In (Amanda's Trilogy), where the college-age protagonist (I hesitate to call her a "heroine") gets pulled into a secret BDSM club. It's the first of a trilogy, and in this book I've got some fairly graphic m/f, f/f, and BDSM sex scenes, along with some voyeurism. She is definitely not inexperienced with sex, but she's also not into the BDSM scene before the book opens. I really struggled what to call it: erotica? Psychological erotica? NA? Definitely not romance, although it's there in the 2nd and 3rd novellas.

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
Not all the New Adult Contemporary Romance is New Adult Contemporary Erotic Romance.

Wow, what a mouthful, those genre names.

In the ones where the sex comes before the love, you'll find more explicit scenes. It's really just the different between romance and erotic romance, plus word choice. Some people write BDSM and never use the naughty words.

It's up to you. If you put a warning in the blurb, then the people who really care about that one element of the story can be forewarned.

ETA: There's ALWAYS going to be too much/not enough sex in your book. Always.  ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts