Kindle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on the order list at Amazon as of November 24th, 2008.  Sure hope I am getting the new second version of Kindle, as the delivery date is somewhere around the last week of February or the middle of March.  Was a little bit tempted by the refurbished version, but am hoping the new version will be just a little bit better with my audiobooks.  It looks like a great book e-reader.

Noticed on these boards, that people are giving their Kindles a name.  Mine will be Sugar, named after my first dog, a little one-eyed Shih Tzu, who started off my small dog rescue about 18 years ago here in Tucson, Arizona.  The Kindle should help fill in the gaps with my audiobooks.

luvshihtzu   

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Welcome, luvshihtzu!

Congratulations on your first post!

I expect you will get your Kindle sooner than March, and it will probably be version 1.  People who ordered about the same time you did have started receiving their Kindles already!  (I am one!)  So be sure to check your shipping date often.

I guarantee you will love it!

Betsy

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information Betsy.  

I just checked Amazon and my order is now locked up and I can't cancel it.  This morning it was still open with the March delivery date. I really do want the second version, so guess I will send it back to Amazon unopened.  I do love the design of version #1, but want newer features.  The refurbished would have been great, if I really wanted the first version.  Pardon my bad attitude.  It has been a very long day.
This is going to be a very expensive Christmas, as I already ordered an i touch to replace the Kindle that wasn't coming.
Santa didn't know he was going to be so generous.  :-[

luvshihtzu

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
I am headed off to bed soon. I don't sleep well during the week. My hubby works out of town and I usually operate on about 4 hours of sleep a night. I have always been a night owl. I will go read for about 2 hours, sleep for 4 and start a new day. I had a migraine for the past day and a half, so I didn't do much except read the boards today. Looking forward to seeing you around! I normally don't come on until mid to late afternoon. Good night!
Angela

·
Registered
869 Posts
Welcome, Luvshihtzu -

Glad to have you here!

How awesome that you have started a dog rescue group and are loving owner (owned?) a one-eyed god dog ;D

Generally, when your account is locked that means you've been charged for the Kindle and therefore cannot cancel. However, I could be wrong ::)

There is a lot of controversy about Kindle 2. You could be in for a very long wait as it is supposed to be released anytime in 2009. And the features may not be much of an upgrade. Lots of knowledgeable people here believe the next Kindle generation will be for international use...

An iTouch is very cool, too and will allow you to read free public-domain books if you can tolerate the backlighting. The book corner has a wonderful free book board to look at.

Looking forward to seeing more of your posts.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Hi Luvshihtzu, welcome! Glad to have you here.

Ditto what Marci said about Version 2. I am one of the firm believers in the theory that the international market has priority over a new version of the device.

L

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Welcome luvshihtzu, thanks for the introduction. There is a Kindle Name thread in Let's Talk Kindle. Please go over and share your name and the sweet story behind it. I own 3 shihtzus, Max, Eli and Luke, they are our babies. :) I think it is wonderful that you run a small dog rescue. Kudos!

Linda

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the welcome messages.  I do appreciate them.

Marci:
You are right, my account has been charged and I cannot cancel the order.  Sure wish Amazon would have checked with me before sending out the Kindle, as the information on their site was so far off. 
Amazon has not been great lately about notifying me regarding other items I had ordered on a subscription basis.  Normally, Amazon is supposed to let you know the subscription product is about to be shipped and ask if you still want it.  My last item was something I didn't need yet, but they didn't ask and also sent it two months early with no notice.  Oh, well.

You mentioned my dog rescue.  Sugar has long gone to the Rainbow Bridge along with many other Shih Tzu, Japanese Chins, Chihuahuas, Pekingese, Yorkie-Poos and Schnoodles, throughout all the years I ran my dog rescue.  I normally adopted out the healthy dogs, but the sick ones stayed because no one wanted them.  I shut my doors to new dogs about two years ago when my health went south, but we still have a pile of little old sick dogs that will stay until the end of their days.  That is pretty much an update on my rescue.

I will think a little more about the Kindle that is coming from Amazon.  Odds are that I will probably keep it, as I do like the design or possibly return it and order a refurbished unit.  The newest one (Version 2) coming out is pretty ugly from the pictures I have seen, so far.  Am not sure how much I should believe from the different articles that are being published about the new Kindle product being developed.

You mentioned the itouch and the ereader application.  I think the screen it a bit too small for my tastes and the battery is only lasting a couple of hours on a charge.  I do love it for doing all my other Internet chores.  It is great for checking on orders from Amazon, on-line banking, paying bills, making reservations for dinner and also playing all my music and listening to Internet Radio.  Pandora.com is really great on the itouch or my computer.

luvshihtzu

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Regarding version 2: if you are referring to the pictures that were posted on The Boy Genius Report, many of us, including me, believe they were fakes and not a true representation of what the next version of the Kindle will look like.

L

1 - 11 of 11 Posts