Kindle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably the wrong forum for this, but I'm looking to collaborate with a comic book artist on spec scripts to submit to comic book companies. I'll write the scripts, they'll provide the art. This will probably be someone just starting out (like me) who wants to get their foot in the door. I'd like to submit some anthology type stories to comics like Bela Lugosi's Tales from the Grave and 2000 AD's Future Shocks section. Maybe something for Image.

I like pulp and sci-fi. Not really into superheroes much anymore, but those aren't off the table. If anyone is interested, or know of someone who is, please let me know.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Deviantart.com is where you will find them. They will probably expect to be paid up front. The good news is that you will own the whole book if you do it that way. I find the people on there are highly motivated. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
You can get ones who will say they'll work for spec, but I've found these types to be very unreliable, frequently dropping off the face of the planet and never responding to emails again, so you need to offer page rates. DigitalWebbing.com has a talent search forum for comic creators where you can post about your project.

Since page rates can end up being pretty expensive, keep something in mind--if a comic publisher doesn't have open submissions, you're wasting your time submitting spec scripts. At the most, they'd look more at the artist than at your script. Some, like Image, require you to have the full package already completed--writing, pencils, inks, letters, colors. You're better off putting together a whole production team for the comic and if you don't get picked up, then you can put it out yourself independently. Otherwise, doing spec scripts for publishers that don't want them is a fast-track ticket to getting your hard work filed in the paper shredder.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys. I haven't checked Deviantart for comic artists yet, but I will. I won't submit to comics publishers who aren't accepting submissions, but unfortunately no one is looking for scripts without art anymore. With the ease of self-publishing, I might be better off writing the script and then hiring the inkers, letterers, etc. and putting out the book myself. I have an in with one publisher who is looking for nonfiction comics, so I may go that route for my first official comics script. We'll see...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts