Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we have a ton of Outlander fans here (yes, I have it on my Kindle. No, I haven't read it yet.) but I've just heard about the Lord John books by the same author (there are three in the series, I gather). Has anyone read these? Opinions, pro, con? Thanks in advance....

L

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have downloaded a sample of the first one, but have not had time to read it. I am one of those Outlander fanatics I mean fans.
The Lord John series is about one of the characters in the Outlander series.
DG is such a great writer, I am sure this series will be good.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
i cannot find the order in which these are to be read.  I know there is a site i can go to, but I'm fighting bronchitis and do not feel like searching.  Can you help?  Thanks.
deb

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I read Lord John and the Private Matter quite some time ago. It was a nice read, but didn't impress me much. I really don't even remember the story.

There is no comparison between the strength of the characters in the Outlander series to John Gray and company. I think there might be a mention of Jamie in this book, but neither he nor Claire appear, if I remember correctly.

It's not bad as a side trip; sort of fills in some of the time between John, Jamie and Claire interacting.

Outlander is prime rib. Lord John Gray is junket rennet.

Here's the order, Deb.

Lord John and the Private Matter (2003)
Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade (2007)
Lord John and the Hand of Devils (2007)

·
Registered
289 Posts
I, too, have read Lord John & the Private Matter.  And although I worship Ms. Gabaldon's Outlander series, I had real problems getting involved in the Lord John series...hence my failure to read the last two books in the series.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Lord John's not my favorite Outlander character, so as much as I've enjoyed the series, I doubt I'll read the LJ series. Especially if there's not Jamie and Claire. :'(

Nemo

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Mnemosyne said:
Lord John's not my favorite Outlander character, so as much as I've enjoyed the series, I doubt I'll read the LJ series. Especially if there's not Jamie and Claire. :'(

Nemo
Nemo, I see you're read ABOSAA. Is this your first time through the series? We've had so many people in the Klub, I can't remember who has already read the books and who hasn't.

Leslie, let us know when you read Outlander.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
gertiekindle said:
Nemo, I see you're read ABOSAA. Is this your first time through the series? We've had so many people in the Klub, I can't remember who has already read the books and who hasn't.

Leslie, let us know when you read Outlander.
My friend Louise, who is on my Kindle account, just started it and says she likes it so far. I've gotten myself absorbed in some WWII history type things at the moment.

L

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Leslie said:
My friend Louise, who is on my Kindle account, just started it and says she likes it so far. I've gotten myself absorbed in some WWII history type things at the moment.

L
Anything good?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Leslie said:
My friend Louise, who is on my Kindle account, just started it and says she likes it so far.

L
That's great. So when you decide to read it, you can just "borrow" her copy!

Hey Robin, you want to be on my account...it seems that we like to read a lot of the same stuff! ;D

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
robin.goodfellow said:
Anything good?
I just started this and it's good. I am actually thinking of a writing project for myself and this is part of my research.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've read all 3.  Lord John is gay, in case that offends anybody.  The 3rd book (Hand of Devils) is actually 3 novellas.  I am forcing myself through the 2nd one.

After Jamie & Claire it is hard to really enjoy these books. 

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I agree with the Lord John books, I originally thought they would supplement the Outlander series, but maybe DG ran out of money and need to write something else.  I don't plan on spending any money on the second two in the series.  I also got the Companion, and I wouldn't waste my money on that as well.  Just MHO  ::)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Anju said:
I agree with the Lord John books, I originally thought they would supplement the Outlander series, but maybe DG ran out of money and need to write something else. I don't plan on spending any money on the second two in the series. I also got the Companion, and I wouldn't waste my money on that as well. Just MHO ::)
I had the same experience- having loved all of the Outlander books, I tried several times to get into "Lord John and the Private Matter" and just couldn't do it. There are too many books I really want to read to waste time on things I think I should read.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Betsyam said:
I've read all 3. Lord John is gay, in case that offends anybody.
That's one of the reasons it caught my eye. I like m/m stories as I think most everybody around here knows. :D

L

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
BambiB said:
That's great. So when you decide to read it, you can just "borrow" her copy!

Hey Robin, you want to be on my account...it seems that we like to read a lot of the same stuff! ;D
Not a bad idea. Hmmm. Wonder if we could pitch a "friends and family" idea to amazon?

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Leslie said:
That's one of the reasons it caught my eye. I like m/m stories as I think most everybody around here knows. :D

L
These aren't really m/m books. Lord John just happens to be gay, and yes, he does love Jamie (and don't we all), but that's just a circumstance.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
gertiekindle said:
These aren't really m/m books. Lord John just happens to be gay, and yes, he does love Jamie (and don't we all), but that's just a circumstance.
That's interesting. The way I heard about these books in the first place was that I was reading a review of another book (Standish, by Erastes -- which I liked) and the reviewer commented that the Lord John books and Gabaldon handled the m/m romance "so much better" than Erastes did -- which made me curious. But all of you folks are giving Lord John a pretty tepid review.

L

1 - 20 of 20 Posts