Kindle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my K3 for about 6 months.  Was reading this evening and all of a sudden my page turns became slow.  Well, not s-l-o-w, but there is a noticable flash between each page turn.  I mean I've had this thing for 6 months and read several hours a day, I can tell when the page turns look different, it's noticeable.

So I did a Restart...still slow page turns.  So then I did a hard restart, holding the power button 20 seconds until it restarted....still slow page turns, only now all my Collections are gone!!

Called CS, they had me do another hard restart...still same thing.  No Collections, still slow page turns.

Anybody help?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Make sure your wireless is on. Sometimes it just needs to talk to the mothership.  :)

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I tried that too.  No luck.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Heather, that did work.  Sure didn't want to do all that work again.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The same thing happened to me this morning... unfortunately, I didn't check here to see the suggestion to deregister/register... so I rebuilt my collections (fortunately, I don't have too many). But for those who've tried this, did you lose anything by deregistering? your samples, for example? I do have MANY samples :)

·
Registered
701 Posts
Why are collections dependent upon the wireless being on?  I usually keep my wireless off to conserve battery power.  So when I am creating collections my wireless is sometimes on or sometimes off.  What problems does this cause?

·
Super Moderator
67,346 Posts
They're not dependent upon wireless being on.  But the function is not enabled until the first time you connect wirelessly.  So it stands to reason that, if things go wonky, and you need a reboot, then a connection is required to sort out that part of it.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I think that part of the collections/wireless thing is to do with the Kindle clock.

If you do a hard reset, the Kindle forgets the time. With the clock wrong, a lot of the collection functions (newest first etc) get confused so your latest book or collection will go to an odd place in the list rather than the top.

Once you turn wireless on, the Kindle gets a time check and corrects it's clock, and then everything goes back to normal again.

That may not be the only connection, but I've tried to use my Kindle after a reset and before turning wireless on and it's very confusing!

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
You might want to see if your Kindle is hung up trying to index a book. Search for some nonsense letters like ffggjjls or something. It should tell you if any books were NOT searched. Delete any books not searched and reload them. Indexing seems to be a primary suspect when things start to slow down.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Heather,
Thanks for the information on how to get my collections back. Have read other postings without any help in the past.
I have eighteen pages of collections and have had to reconstruct my collections twice since December.  Last time it took me over one week to do it. This should be a big help for the next time.
Pat M. 

·
Registered
21 Posts
The Calibre collections plug in is very helpful, especially if you have many collections. So much quicker doing i ton the computer compared to on the Kindle itself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Much the same thing has happened to my K3, except I didnt just lose collections. I lost everything, when I connect it to the computer it still says that everything is there but the kindle itself shows nothing:( any ideas? Oh and I have tried resetting it every which way I know how

1 - 15 of 15 Posts