Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost in tears here. Could have lost months of work. My Scrivener wouldn't open, so I went to my back up files and tried to open my latest one. It said I didn't have permission, so I tried an older version and that opened, but it's from when I hadn't written much. I tried the new back up again, thinking it might work this time, and still no joy. Can anyone help me? PLEASE!

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
That Scrivener won't open is your first problem. Did you recently upgrade your OS? Contact Literature and Latte and see if they have a version that will work or a new version.

You can also do a search for all your .scriv files on your computer and make sure you still have all of the files you've worked on.

I understand why you're nervous. Since Scrivener autosaves, you don't want the old version to have written over the new version. Search to find your current version (or a backup of the current one from the day before) on your computer.

And honestly, once you find it, don't do anything more than save your .scriv and back-up files to an external drive -- then call or email Literature & Latte and have them walk you through getting access to your files again.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys. I was panicking that the old file had overwritten the new one, but we put the latest backup onto a memory stick and my hubby downloaded the free Scrivener trial onto his computer and was able to open it on there. So, thankfully, I have my work. *deep breath* Now I just need to figure out why my recent backups appear to be corrupted on my computer? Hubby seems to think it's something to do with ZIP files?*!? I'll shoot Literature and Latte an email tomorrow.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Raquel Lyon said:
Thanks, guys. I was panicking that the old file had overwritten the new one, but we put the latest backup onto a memory stick and my hubby downloaded the free Scrivener trial onto his computer and was able to open it on there. So, thankfully, I have my work. *deep breath* Now I just need to figure out why my recent backups appear to be corrupted on my computer? Hubby seems to think it's something to do with ZIP files?*!? I'll shoot Literature and Latte an email tomorrow.
Do you backup copies via Dropbox and access the saves on another machine? It was the cause of a similar error I had last week. Glad you figured it out though, can relate to that panic, for sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts