Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my E-Luminator light from M-Edge today. I like it. The M-Edge (new style) cover works fine, both opened and closed, with the light in place. The light is soft and even across the screen and the flexible neck makes it easy to adjust. This is powered by an LED and uses an A23 battery (included). Unfortunately the battery isn't recharagable and, so far, I haven't seen this size in any of the stores where I normally purchase batteries.

The small metal plate on the top end of the light slides into a slot in the cover, underneath the Kindle. It's 7" long and weighs 1 1/8 ounces. Price is under $10. There may be some delay in shipping according to Amazon's product listing today. My light was originally scheduled to be received after the 25th, so it came a few days early.

For folks who are interested in what a "fully-loaded" Kindle weighs, here's what I came up with:
-- Kindle (with a DecalGirl skin and 4GB SD card installed) 10.5 ounces;
-- M-Edge Executive Jacket (leather), new style 7 1/8 ounces;
-- M-Edge E-luminator light 1 1/8 ounces;
-- Original Kindle cover 6 3/8 ounces;
-- Softcover book (300 pages, 5x8") 11 3/4 ounces; and
-- Hardcover book (290 pages, 6 1/4x9 1/4") 17 1/2 ounces.

So, my Kindle, with a nice M-Edge cover and other accessories, weighs a tiny bit more than a "typical" hardcover book -- 18.75 ounces for the dressed up Kindle and 17 1/2 ounces for the hardcover book and dust jacket. Of course, that's not counting the built-in dictionary (sorry, my digital scale only goes up to 5 pounds - so no comparison there), a music player (my MP3 player weighs 2 ounces), and (so far) the 15 books I've loaded on to my Kindle!

Glynnis

·
Registered
433 Posts
Yes, thanks for the info. I'd like a light that would fit inside the cover. Your statistics crack me up. Thanks for those also.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hi, I got my Medge light yesterday, and I like it.  It took me a little while to adjust it so that there was no glare, but once I did, it worked great.  I like the fact that it lives inside the cover.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Ricky,

Welcome to Kindleboards, and congratulations on leaving Lurkdom behind!

I'm glad to hear your Kindle is well accessorized!  Thanks for the review of the M-edge and light, lots of people are very interested!

If you get a chance, be sure to go over to Introductions and tell us a little bit about yourself!

We have lots of book recommendations in the Book Corner, and starting Monday, we have Book Klubs!

Betsy

·
Registered
780 Posts
So you could use the light with a different cover? As long as it can go behind the Kindle?

Lynn L

·
Registered
114 Posts
Wannabe said:
No fair! My light didn't get here yet <pouting>.
Me either.. I was really holding out hope it would be in today's mail.. but no such luck.. :(

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Lynn said:
So you could use the light with a different cover? As long as it can go behind the Kindle?

Lynn L
I think so. I was thinking maybe I could place in the one of the pocket of Oberon cover. I wonder how bright is thie E-Luminator Light compare to Mighty Bright. Does anyone have both lights?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shizu said:
I wonder how bright is thie E-Luminator Light compare to Mighty Bright. Does anyone have both lights?
The E-Luminator has one LED bulb. Mighty Bright makes a number of book lights, so it depends on which one you have -- they range from the Classic, which uses a tiny incandescent bulb, to a Mini Super LED that is supposed to be as bright as 3 regular LEDs (but it also uses 3 AAA batteries, something to consider if weight is a factor for you), to a Triple LED book light (about $20). Several other styles as well at http://www.mightybright.com/Book_Lights/CategoryProductList.html

The clip-on aspect of most of the MB lights didn't appeal to me, although the MB Folding LED light (which has a big metal paper-clip for attaching the light) might work in a similar fashion to the E-Luminator in an M-Edge cover, but it's hard to tell from the picture whether this would fit in the 1 1/2" deep slot/pocket or not. It looks as though the light itself would be too big to keep stored along the spine of the M-Edge cover like the E-Luminator.

Glynnis

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Glynnis said:
The E-Luminator has one LED bulb. Mighty Bright makes a number of book lights, so it depends on which one you have

Glynnis
The one I have is Mighty Bright XtraFlex2. So E-Luminator will like using one led buld with Mighty Bright XtraFlex2 then. Thanks Glynnis.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Gang

I am seriously thinking of selling mine, it arrived a few days ago.. has not even been near a kindle.. .. I have the blue cover and the light but I love my Oberons and already have three Medge covers along with the strangedog ones.. I am not crazy about this one.. if you are interested let me know.. just pop me a PM.. I am thinking 50 bucks.. case and light brand new never been used no shipping charges.. just flat rate.. drop me a line.. thanks!

This is the one I have

http://www.amazon.com/M-edge-Executive-compatible-e-Luminator-booklight/dp/B001J9U7ZY/ref=pd_bbs_sr_10?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1230268188&sr=8-10

·
Registered
55 Posts
Great review, I was at Medge with both of these items in my shopping cart when I stumbled on this. The picture was very helpful!

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Patrizia said:
Gang

I am seriously thinking of selling mine, it arrived a few days ago.. has not even been near a kindle.. .. I have the blue cover and the light but I love my Oberons and already have three Medge covers along with the strangedog ones.. I am not crazy about this one.. if you are interested let me know.. just pop me a PM.. I am thinking 50 bucks.. case and light brand new never been used no shipping charges.. just flat rate.. drop me a line.. thanks!

This is the one I have

http://www.amazon.com/M-edge-Executive-compatible-e-Luminator-booklight/dp/B001J9U7ZY/ref=pd_bbs_sr_10?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1230268188&sr=8-10
Patrizia--

Post this in the Buy Barter and Trade section!

Betsy

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Purchased the red M-Edge cover shortly after I got my Kindle.  Love it.  Today my E-Luminator light arrive.  I love the way it fits in the M-Edge cover.  It is so neat.  I have been playing with it this evening and I believe I will like it alot.  I had a Mighty Brite, 2 lights, flexible clip-on light.  It is OK, but I didn't like the clip on part very well.  Seemed like it was always slipping and that affected the glare on my screen.  Loved the stats!  Too funny!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was wondering if the eLuminator can be placed in the spine of the cover as shown on the sites.  I see from your picture that you have it attached near the edge of the cover.  I have only just ordered my cover and light so the light won't be in until the end of the month or beginning of February.  The cover should ship after January 2nd.  I liked the idea that the light can attach in the spine and not contact the Kindle at all.  Is this possible?

MaggieIndeed

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
LOL

didnt know we had a barter and trade section.. :) thanks for the info!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
MaggieIndeed said:
I was wondering if the eLuminator can be placed in the spine of the cover as shown on the sites. I see from your picture that you have it attached near the edge of the cover. I liked the dea that the light can attach in the spine and not contact the Kindle at all. Is this possible?

MaggieIndeed
Hi Maggie --
The earlier picture is a link from one of the several shots on the Amazon page for the E-Luminator light -- it shows the light before the metal plate (at the top of the light) is slid into the slot on the cover, just behind the Kindle. When you have the plate pushed into the slot, the light is in the spine of the cover. This pictures shows the light after it's been secured in place.

The corner tabs on the Kindle help keep the light from rubbing up against the side of the K.

Glynnis

1 - 20 of 44 Posts