Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have rheumatoid arthritis, and find many things difficult to hold.  The kindle2 has been wonderful.  It is so much more comfortable than a paperback book and since getting it, I'm reading more than I have in years.  It is not perfect, though, and I'm still putting the kindle down before I'm ready to stop reading.  The big problem is that it is uncomfortable to move my thumb to turn the page.  To me, it feels like the button is too high and/or too close to the edge (depending on how I hold it).  I've seen people on hear complain about the extra space the M-Edge covers add for the light, but does anyone like the extra space?  Since I prefer to hold the kindle in my left hand, I'm thinking that a M-edge cover might take care of the problem I have of the 'Next Page' button feeling too close to the edge.

Also, how well does the M-edge cover fold back?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!  Just tested it, and two pen widths does feel like it would be the right distance.  When I just hold the kindle in the amazon cover that far out, though, it feels unstable.  Do you feel like you have a good grip on the kindle in the M-edge cover?

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I do have a decent grip on it. the saude like material on the inside does help. I also read with my kindle in my left hand and since getting my m-edge last week I've been resting my thumb on the added space left of the kindle when I read. Still I have a k1 and most of its bulk is to the right. The weight distribution may make a difference, because the k2 seems more balanced.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the photos.  I think I'm going to order one soon. :)  The distance looks right, and it also looks thicker than the amazon cover, which will help.

·
Registered
136 Posts
hera said:
Thanks for the photos. I think I'm going to order one soon. :) The distance looks right, and it also looks thicker than the amazon cover, which will help.
I use the M-Edge cover, the extra space makes it easier to hold with the left hand. I'm not sure what it will feel like when i put a light in there...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the M-Edge with the added space for the light.  I like the extra space to hold, but I don't like that the cover is so big.  M-Edge will be coming out with a smaller version.  They told me I could exchange the one I have for the slimmer one, but I will wait and see what it looks like.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I have both the prodigy and platform Medge covers.  I prefer the platform and you might as well. It's quite comfortable b/c you can prop it up but also b/c of the way it folds back, it is effortless to keep the cover back (hard to explain but if you could hold it you would see what I mean).  Anyway, both have space on the left and even though it makes the cover bigger than it needs to be, I like it because it gives me a place to rest my hand, something to hold onto.

·
Registered
599 Posts
As of now, it's fine for me to hold and everything, but I would like it better if I had the light. New one won't be out for a while, though.

·
Registered
136 Posts
kraemru said:
I have the M-Edge with the added space for the light. I like the extra space to hold, but I don't like that the cover is so big. M-Edge will be coming out with a smaller version. They told me I could exchange the one I have for the slimmer one, but I will wait and see what it looks like.
Will the smaller version also hold light, or no light?

·
Registered
86 Posts
kari said:
I prefer the platform and you might as well. It's quite comfortable b/c you can prop it up but also b/c of the way it folds back, it is effortless to keep the cover back (hard to explain but if you could hold it you would see what I mean). Anyway, both have space on the left and even though it makes the cover bigger than it needs to be, I like it because it gives me a place to rest my hand, something to hold onto.
I have to agree. I like to rest my hand on the cover, not the Kindle. The extra space it very sturdy.

A

·
0 Posts
I had an M-Edge for my K1 (replaced it with an Oberon which I adore) and loved the ledge. It provided a nice place to rest my fingers and the suede lining was awesome. I loved the light at first but after awhile it just seemed too dim. I have a Mighty Bright now and the difference is amazing!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I love my platform m-edge!  I can hold it by the front and back cover together or by just the back cover with the Kindle.  My favorite way to hold it is to just tuck my hand in between the front and back of the cover with the tab tucked in so that the they stay together.  AND when you need both hands free, the platform does a great job of propping the kindle up.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
ogie287 (est. 1838) said:
I love my platform m-edge! I can hold it by the front and back cover together or by just the back cover with the Kindle. My favorite way to hold it is to just tuck my hand in between the front and back of the cover with the tab tucked in so that the they stay together. AND when you need both hands free, the platform does a great job of propping the kindle up.
Yep, same here. I love tucking the tab in -- nothing to hold back.

Someone asked about the light and the one I use is the Mighty Bright. I think the new M-edge cover that is rumored to be coming in April will not have room for their light.

·
Registered
337 Posts
ogie287 (est. 1838) said:
I love my platform m-edge! My favorite way to hold it is to just tuck my hand in between the front and back of the cover with the tab tucked in so that the they stay together. AND when you need both hands free, the platform does a great job of propping the kindle up.
Same thing here. I got an Oberon last week, but I like the way the Platform fits in my left hand better. Plus I can prop it when I don't want to hold it. I have a Mighty Brite light that I can position where I want.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone!  This really is a very helpful board. :)

I'm definitely going to get a M-Edge cover.  I had mostly been considering the Prodigy cover, but the Platform sounds like exactly what I need.  Now I just need to settle on a color....

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a Mighty Bright and the space works great for clipping it on there, plus I like holding it there with my left hand. So no complaints about the space.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts