Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The M-Edge Executive looks like really nice leather and you can buy a nice little integrated LED light to go with it. But, it doesn't have the pillow-type pad that protects the screen like the original cover so something could get in there and scratch the screen - especially when I throw it in my backpack. I'm also concerned that its flap will get in the way of holding it. For those who use this case - what about these issues? Also, how about that little illuminator LED light that integrates into the case? Is it bright enough, and how long does it last?

Thanks in advance for feedback...

·
Registered
364 Posts
I don't have the light, but I have a red leather M-edge case.  It's held up well for several months now, with the exception of the slot you put the tab in.  The leather and lining in the slot came apart, making it almost impossible to insert the tab.  I need to glue it, but keep forgetting.  (And it's a delicate piece of glue work.)

The tab doesn't get in the way when reading.  I just fold the tab back and then fold the cover back over it.

Sharyn

·
Registered
289 Posts
I loved my Executive Leather case from M-Edge for my K1.  So much so that I've ordered the exact same case for my K2.

The slot for the light is VERY convenient.  Some people don't like the lack of flexibility in the light, and others find it works just fine (I'm of the latter variety).  A workaround is to just flip the light upside down in the slot when you go to read.  I love not having to carry around a loose reading light.  I've found that the light will last about 3-4 weeks for me, but YMMV depending on how much you read at night.

The flap doesn't get in the way of either holding it or reading the Kindle for me as I tend to hold the Kindle one handed - either by the bottom right or bottom left side.  Some people prefer to tuck the flap behind the Kindle when reading and then pull it out to close the case.

Some people don't like the thickness or the stiffness of the spine when you fold it back.  However, I tend to like a bit of girth to prevent hand cramps and have trained the stiffness out of the spine by gently folding it over my index fingers when I first open it ever time (it forms a very nice rolled spine very quickly).

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I also have the Executive K1 case and really love having the integrated light.  The leather is very nice, but it is thick when you fold it back to read.  That is why I bought the Executive Platform for my K2-I like that it folds over flat, but I will still be able to use the light w/it.  We just got back from a week's vacation in the Bahamas and I read everynight for at least an hour, not to mention during layovers etc. The light was great, didn't notice any dimming or at all.  I did take a spare battery, but didn't need it.  And they are inexpensive anyway, you can get a double pack at Walmart for under $2.
Ruby

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does anyone think that the lack of the pillow-type pad that's on the original case causes any danger of the screen being scratched? I often put the K1 into my backpack which could have various gristly things in it - could they work their way into space between M-Edge cover and K1 screen?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
skanter said:
Does anyone think that the lack of the pillow-type pad that's on the original case causes any danger of the screen being scratched? I often put the K1 into my backpack which could have various gristly things in it - could they work their way into space between M-Edge cover and K1 screen?
Sorry, forgot to say in my other post that I put the whole thing into a Belkin Mini Laptop bag, that way nothing can get inside the cover to scratch the screen.
Ruby

·
Registered
13 Posts
I didn't buy the light, but I did get the leather executive M-edge. It's a very soft pebbled leather, (mine is black). I insert the flap back into the slot because I fold the cover all the way behind when I read. I don't have any trouble with the flap, and I kind of slide my hand between the back and the folded back front cover while reading. I have not had any trouble folding my case all the way back. I guess it has gotten a bit easier, but I didn't notice any severe stiffness from day one.
As far as the little 'pillow' in the original cover, my m-edge folds down pretty snug when closed. I'm sure something could get between the cover and the screen, but in my case I do not believe the original cover and that little pillow offers any more protection from something working its way in. That being said, I did recently buy a used Kindle, so the original cover isn't new and the m-edge cover is. I'm not sure what kind of difference time will make. Still, I do know my new case fits nice and snug. I haven't had any trouble with anything coming unstitched or unglued. Again, mine is probably only a month old, if that, so time may make a difference.  The case came with a foam piece inside the cover, I think you could use that for extra protection in your backpack if you felt it was needed.
Overall, I have to say the M-edge cover is very nice, and I think it really protects as well as dresses up the Kindle.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I cannot speak highly enough of the executive Medge cover.  It was my only cover for a very long time.  The leather is good quality and smells wonderful.  Personally I had absolutely no problems with the slot you put the edge in.  I think it wears very well.  I did have some concerns about not having the extra protection for the screen and have had no problems along that line.  Having said that, I don't use a back pack, in fact am very careful about where and how I carry my K1.  The light is flawed, in my opinion -- or perhaps it is just because I have some eyesight issues.  The light is just not bright enough.  If that issue could be resolved, I would be very happy with the light, too. 

Have fun selecting your cover! 

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ruby said:
Sorry, forgot to say in my other post that I put the whole thing into a Belkin Mini Laptop bag, that way nothing can get inside the cover to scratch the screen.
Ruby
Ah, but then you need two cases, something I would like to avoid, especially since the pad on the original case would seem to make it impossible for anything to get inside to scratch the screen. I don't know why other case makers didn't see the importance of this pad to protect the screen.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bailey said:
As far as the little 'pillow' in the original cover, my m-edge folds down pretty snug when closed. I'm sure something could get between the cover and the screen, but in my case I do not believe the original cover and that little pillow offers any more protection from something working its way in.
It seems to me the little pillow on the original cover makes it impossible for anything to get in to scratch the screen, as it is flush with the screen. If there is any space between the M-Edge cover and the screen, something could get in there. Is there any space?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I had the m-edge executive cover with the light.  I only had it a couple months before I sold it with my K1, but during that time it held up well. 

Tab - The tab wasn't in the way, I found that I used it like a handle.  Or you could fold it back out of the way.  I believe the earlier version of the m-edge cover had issues with the tab coming apart.  The latest version (which holds the light) has stitching around that tab so I don't think it had any issues with coming apart (at least I didn't have any problems)

Cushion -  I don't think it needs an extra pillow of cushion.  It closes flat against the K and I never worried about anything scratching the screen.

spine - the spine is a little wider than other covers to make room for the light.  Because of this you end up with a good sized ledge on the left hand side.  Some people like it to hold on to, some don't.  To me, it was one of those things that wasn't a big deal.

Light - functionally, the light isn't that great.  It isn't very bright and seems to dim after some usage.  When you bend it into position, it doesn't hold it's shape, it straightens up a bit.  Given all that, I still chose to use the eluminator instead of other book lights because of how conveniently it stored in the cover.  It was great how it was at your fingertips and still completely out of the way when not used.

I will probably get a m-edge for my K2.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
kim said:
Cushion - I don't think it needs an extra pillow of cushion. It closes flat against the K and I never worried about anything scratching the screen.
One reviewer said there was a space (unlike the original) and that things could get in there - got me concerned, especially in my backpack. Maybe I'm being paranoid.

spine - the spine is a little wider than other covers to make room for the light. Because of this you end up with a good sized ledge on the left hand side. Some people like it to hold on to, some don't. To me, it was one of those things that wasn't a big deal.
I'll have to try it. There are many different ways to hold it depending on cover.

Light - functionally, the light isn't that great. It isn't very bright and seems to dim after some usage. When you bend it into position, it doesn't hold it's shape, it straightens up a bit. Given all that, I still chose to use the eluminator instead of other book lights because of how conveniently it stored in the cover. It was great how it was at your fingertips and still completely out of the way when not used.
In an email, a guy at M-Edge said they are out of stock of the light, are working on version two of light to be available for order in late March.

I think I will order the Executive M-Edge, since I'll have to try it out to see. I guess I can send it back if I don't like it. I'll order the light when v. 2 comes out...

Thanks to everyone for your help. :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
luvmy4brats said:
Pillow or not, I found the original cover useless. I really didn't think that padding actually offered any noticable extra protection. Plus, I was always dealing with the Kindle falling out of it. It was much more secure in the M-Edge.
While I just ordered the M-Edge case, it wasn't because my Kindle was falling out of original. I just opened it, shook it as hard as I could (over the couch), but couldn't get it to fall out. Do they loosen up (maybe if taken in and out a lot)? Mine seems tight as can be...and it's 10 months old.

·
Registered
137 Posts
skanter said:
Yes, it's possible some gristly thing (?!) could work its way into that space, but I think the same thing might happen in the other brands of covers too. I agree with what others in the thread have said--my M-edge exec. cover has been terrific, very solid and sturdy; however, if I carried it in a purse or backpack where there was a lot of small stuff banging around, I would enclose it in a sealable bag or sleeve. Partly out of worry for things working their way in next to the screen, and partly out of worry that one of the ports would be damaged.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cherie said:
Yes, it's possible some gristly thing (?!) could work its way into that space, but I think the same thing might happen in the other brands of covers too. I agree with what others in the thread have said--my M-edge exec. cover has been terrific, very solid and sturdy; however, if I carried it in a purse or backpack where there was a lot of small stuff banging around, I would enclose it in a sealable bag or sleeve. Partly out of worry for things working their way in next to the screen, and partly out of worry that one of the ports would be damaged.
I ordered the M-Edge, but IMHO the original cover's pad totally protects the screen, a feature I wish the 3rd-party makers would have included. I don't want to put the K1 and cover into another bag! If the M-Edge doesn't fully protect, I'll send it back.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
skanter said:
Ah, but then you need two cases, something I would like to avoid, especially since the pad on the original case would seem to make it impossible for anything to get inside to scratch the screen. I don't know why other case makers didn't see the importance of this pad to protect the screen.
I don't know if you "need" 2 cases, but since I invested a fair bit of $ into my Kindles I want to protect them as much as possible. I do not find slipping the covered K into the Belkin bag an issue at all. If anything it gives me peace of mind, especially when I'm traveling.
Ruby

·
Registered
377 Posts
Ruby said:
I don't know if you "need" 2 cases, but since I invested a fair bit of $ into my Kindles I want to protect them as much as possible. I do not find slipping the covered K into the Belkin bag an issue at all. If anything it gives me peace of mind, especially when I'm traveling.
Ruby
Ruby, I agree wholeheartedly! I love the added protection a case (mine is Belkin, looking at a Borsa Bella also) gives my covered K2. No bother at all. I think of it as a double layer of protection! :)

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
gwen10 said:
Ruby, I agree wholeheartedly! I love the added protection a case (mine is Belkin, looking at a Borsa Bella also) gives my covered K2. No bother at all. I think of it as a double layer of protection! :)
Thanks Gwen! The extra $10 that the Belkin Bags cost me is a drop in the bucket and well worth it to me. I've read too many "close call" snippets and I want my Kindles to last for years.........

1 - 20 of 42 Posts