Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who is getting one and do you have a particular reason for doing so?  I'm interested in these b/c I need something to use until I get my Oberon cover and this would be a different style, just not sure I would use it as the bookstand it's intended to be.  Maybe hearing from others will help me to decide.

And colors are another issue altogether.  I decided against saddle b/c my Oberon will be in saddle.  I like some of the other colors but perhaps not the particular shade they offer so I might just end up with mocha brown -- which I do love but it's not too exciting.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
I'm on the fence. I've ordered and cancelled twice already. If I do get one, I'll be getting the pink one. I really love the sapphire blue, but my daughter already has that one for hers, and I'd like something different.

I know I'm getting an Oberon, and I'm most likely getting the Amazon cover (at least initially. I may send it back if I don't like it. I really would like to avoid getting half a dozen covers this time around.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well we're teetering on that fence together.  So far there hasn't been much response so I'm wondering if the Platform covers might not be that popular.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I considered it (especially since you get the 10% discount if you buy 2 products), but am already getting the m-edge regular leather cover for the k2 in mocha/saddle.  I'm resisting because I don't want to end up with 2 covers that look the same.  On the other hand, I think I might like the platform?  I don't know.  I'll wait for the reviews from here after people get it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I had a purple butterfly Oberon cover waiting for the one I didn't get and will probably get that one again after I see all the Oberon choices.   It was beautiful.  Since the platform is a different style, I decided to order the M-edge one in sapphire blue.  I won't feel so much like I am duplicating covers if they are different styles. 

·
Registered
320 Posts
I like the idea of the platform cover, but the light seems like it would stick out of the side (since the side is open) and I could see it getting caught on things easily. Now if they moved the light to lay in the crease it would be nice.

LSbookend

Edit: new pictures look like the case is wide enough to prevent this.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wonder if the platform cover folds flat or nearly flat against the back like the other style does?  May be a silly question, but it would be just my luck to receive it and it can only be used in that standing position. LOL  I emailed M-edge and asked, hopefully I'll hear back soon.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In case anyone else was curious, the platform cover does fold all the way back flat against the back.  I received an email response from Medge tonight.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I was going to get a platform case but now on there site is says they won't be shipping until Mar. 7th. That's another increase from Mar 2 or 3rd or whatever they said before . Plus they list the weight on there web site for the case now. Its 8.5 ounces and for me personally that is too much. That would weigh more than the stock case for k1 which I thought was too heavy. So I am just getting the new amazon case. I like the look of it with the hinge mechanism and it does say its light and it looks light. Plus sounds like it has real suede inside and leather on the outside. Which for the price is nice. M-edge cases don't have suede on the inside which I think for the price it should.

I also really like the look of the cole haan saddle grain cover because it looks bookish and light but I am not sure I want to spend $100 for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think I'll be ordering one, probably in the jade green leather.  Since the cover folds flat against the back, it seems to me that the platform position is a bonus feature.  I'm not sure how much I will use it that way, but sometimes I do get tired of holding a book. I can also do other things like sewing or beadwork while I read.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good point about the weight Lisanr.  I didn't think of that b/c it looks fairly sleek -- and certainly it weighs less than the Oberon cover?  I think I read the weights on here somewhere but I can't remember them now.

Too bad the CH cases are so expensive for what they are.  Esp. for just reading around the house, they look like they would be quite comfortable to use.  I just don't care for the Amazon case at all -- I don't even want to pay $30 for it!  Couldn't they have made it a leeetle more attractive looking??  Like a color choice or something?!?!  :-\

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lisanr said:
I was going to get a platform case but now on there site is says they won't be shipping until Mar. 7th. That's another increase from Mar 2 or 3rd or whatever they said before . Plus they list the weight on there web site for the case now. Its 8.5 ounces and for me personally that is too much. That would weigh more than the stock case for k1 which I thought was too heavy. So I am just getting the new amazon case. I like the look of it with the hinge mechanism and it does say its light and it looks light. Plus sounds like it has real suede inside and leather on the outside. Which for the price is nice. M-edge cases don't have suede on the inside which I think for the price it should.

I also really like the look of the cole haan saddle grain cover because it looks bookish and light but I am not sure I want to spend $100 for it.
Where did you see this weight? I was just looking at the leather platform cover and it lists the weight as 5 oz. with a shipping weight of 10.1. For comparison, the CH's do not give the weight, but they do list shipping weight and it ranges from 10.4 to 11.2. I really don't think there is much of a difference in them weight-wise.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I decided to go with the executive cover... to me holding the platform cover would feel like I'm holding a notepad.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know - I thought of that too.  But ultimately I decided it would give me a different style from Oberon with the option of using it in standing position.  And although it may feel like a notepad, it might also feel more balanced to me with not having the front cover off to the side.  In fact, it may not be too different from just holding the Kindle without a cover, but I'm just speculating.  I'll know more by the end of March!  ;)

·
Registered
308 Posts
The weight at amazon is wrong. m-edge lists 5 ounces on every thing at amazon. At there site , if you go to the platform case it says 8.5 ounces. That's just me, but that is to heavy for my tastes. I sold an oberon for kindle one also because I found it to heavy. I hate reading hardbacks because of the weight so I would rather just read the kindle out of the case or in a very light case which I am hoping the new amazon case is . But many others don't care about the weight of a case.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.