Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm Robin and my kindle is Lola. I wasn't all that knocked out by the original cover, so I made my own from this journal:

http://www.amazon.com/Desire-Journal-Naughty-Chronicle-Books/dp/0811820335/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226972943&sr=8-1 (Don't worry. Despite the title, it's fairly tame. and in any case, I just used the outside cover.)

The journal had a nice outside cover with a lock, and the part one would normally write in is a separately covered book inside. So I cut out the pages, and separated the spine and front cover from the back cover, then put Velcro tabs on Lola and on the inside. Voila! The part with the lock on it, which would block the pages if the book had any, makes a nice block against accidentally hitting the "next page" button too soon. Which I did, a lot. But I don't anymore. We're all happier.

~robin

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Hello robin.goodfellow and welcome to the boards. What a wonderful idea. I would love to see pictures of the finished product.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Then I shall post some pictures tonight.  lol, with any luck, I'll even post them here.  I live in fear of posting pictures in the wrong place, like on a the Times Square billboard or something.  Keep your fingers crossed!

~robin

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
robin.goodfellow said:
Then I shall post some pictures tonight. lol, with any luck, I'll even post them here. I live in fear of posting pictures in the wrong place, like on a the Times Square billboard or something. Keep your fingers crossed!

~robin
Robin--

Looking forward to seeing them. If you have any trouble, ask! Pidgeon92, Leslie, and Harvey are all really good at helping. Occasionally I even manage to help!

Betsy

·
Registered
190 Posts
I went to Tuesday Morning and found a journal with ribbon trim and a double D-ring buckle and made my own cover.  I only used the fabric nor the cardboard part of the cover.  However, I covered my original Kindle cover.  "K" is still secured with the elastic on the lower right corner.  Now I have a cover that is an original, that won't fall out because of the buckle, and only cost $4.00.  I am using the journal pages as a note pad, waste not. want not.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I am a newbie and haven't posted a picture before.  I will have to find the thread with the instructions, so it will be awhile.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
beachgrl said:
I went to Tuesday Morning and found a journal with ribbon trim and a double D-ring buckle and made my own cover. I only used the fabric nor the cardboard part of the cover. However, I covered my original Kindle cover. "K" is still secured with the elastic on the lower right corner. Now I have a cover that is an original, that won't fall out because of the buckle, and only cost $4.00. I am using the journal pages as a note pad, waste not. want not.
I was at Tuesday Morning yesterday trying to find something that I could make work...I found nothing...

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Welcome Robin.goodfellow,

Your Kindle Kover has me intrigued as well.
Would Love to see it with the lock and all since I can't make it out from the link also.
Creative minds are abound on our Kindleboards.

Nice to meet you

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone!

I think there are lots of journal covers that will work, as long as it's bigger than like 9 x 7 (measure your Kindle.  Believe me when I say that you don't want to trust my measurements.  even my tape measure sneers at me.).  I picked the desire journal b/c it was almost like a hardback book, and I drop a lot of things, but some of the leather covered ones would work as well. 

It's just a question of affixing the Kindle to the cover and removing the inside of the journal. 

In addition, places like Bombay company and ....what's the place that specializes in engraved wedding gifts?  Most malls have them.  Something Memories.  Anyway, some places like that carry journals or photo albums with wooden covers, and those would work as well.  And you could have your name (or your kindle's name) engraved on the little plate on the front.  You just need to make sure the cover is about 2' larger all the way around than the Kindle, otherwise the cover won't close over it.

Yes, I discovered that the hard way.  ;D

Don't try this at home:  I am a rocket scientist.  lol.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sorry, I have been trying to post a picture of my cover, but no luck. I've been going thru Flickr and downloading the URL, then I paste between the
and then preview, the picture is not there.
No matter what I have tried I can not get a URL with JPEG at end. I've been trying for two hours, I now officially give up!

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
beachgrl said:
Sorry, I have been trying to post a picture of my cover, but no luck. I've been going thru Flickr and downloading the URL, then I paste between the
and then preview, the picture is not there.
No matter what I have tried I can not get a URL with JPEG at end. I've been trying for two hours, I now officially give up!
Beach girl--are you using Internet Explorer or Firefox? and try posting the link you are using, just in the post without worrying about the img and stuff and let me see what's happening.

Don't be frustrated, have a glass of wine, we'll figure it out.

Betsy

1 - 20 of 37 Posts