Kindle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Mod, feel free to move this if this is in the wrong place)

So does anyone subscribe to blogs, newspapers, or magazines with their Kindle? If so, which ones and why? Are you enjoying the experience of reading a blog/magazine/newspaper on your Kindle?

I currently subscribe to Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine.

I like it so far, it's nice to read short stories and articles without distracting ads or images, and I'm considering trying out Hitckcock's Mystery Magazine too, has anyone subscribed to that?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I subsribe to Alfred Hitchcock and Ellery Queen Kindle edition.s I have read 3 short stories from Alfred Hitchcock so far, two were hard to follow and the third was good. But, you do get a 2 week trial so you can't go wrong.

When I recieved both magazines, they sent me Jan 09 editions. After going onto the Amazon site and checking the orders, there is a place to download the Nov 08 and Dec 08 also. Don't know why they sent out the Jan 09 instead of the others though.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Once I finish my Asimov's I'll give Alfred Hitchcock's magazine a try, the 14 day trial is a lifesaver, as you've said.

As for the Asimov's (in case anyone is interested) I found it to be good so far, the first bit of writing, a poem, was lackluster, but the novella and short stories I've read have been good.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I subscribe to the Onion.  It's funny, and the site has been blocked from work (killjoys) in no uncertain terms.  lol, but mostly I have to remember to turn on whispernet and go get it.  So I'm reading it like once a week, tops.

On the other hand, some days it's nice to have all that funny saved up, b/c some days you just need it.

And at $1.99 a month, it's good value for the money.

~robin

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
My husband subscribes to the Wall Street Journal, and I subscribe to Opinionated.

The Journal is great for him on the Kindle, since he travels on business almost weekly, and takes the train downtown when he is home. I have a separate online Journal subscription.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I sampled The Readers Digest but was not too impressed with it and cancelled before getting billed for any issues.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Thanks for your opinion of the Reader's Digest K edition, Dori.  I was thinking about it.  Guess I'll skp it.

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
I get Ellery Queen. Have the Atlantic as a paper subscription good for another couple of years. Will think about switching to a Kindle subscription at that time. I tried Isaac Asimov but, while I like some Science Fiction, I think in that particular genre I really prefer something longer that develops the characters and themes better.

A cool magazine I get in paper is "The Week". They take all the major newspapers and newsmagazines from left to right and distill it all into one short magazine. They let you know where they pull content from so you can check it out for more information. If it's ever Kindled I'll probably get it there, though one of the bits I like best is the 'houses for sale' which probably wouldn't translate too well.

Ann

·
Registered
377 Posts
Mikuto said:
(Mod, feel free to move this if this is in the wrong place)

So does anyone subscribe to blogs, newspapers, or magazines with their Kindle? If so, which ones and why? Are you enjoying the experience of reading a blog/magazine/newspaper on your Kindle?

I currently subscribe to Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine.

I like it so far, it's nice to read short stories and articles without distracting ads or images, and I'm considering trying out Hitckcock's Mystery Magazine too, has anyone subscribed to that?
Mikuto,
I signed up for the 2 week trial of Asimov last week. They sent me the Jan '09 issue directly to my Kindle "home" screen. I thought that was the only issue I'd receive during the trial, but then I was deleting some stuff via the "Content Manager" and saw in there that they had also sent me the Nov 08 and Dec 08 issues; so I moved copies of them from the content manager to the home screen. And now all three issues are sitting in what is essentially an Asimov folder (so yes, folders are possible!). Just wanted to let you know about my experience in case you haven't found the Nov and Dec ones on your Kindle yet.

From your description it sounds like you and I are right about at the same place in the Jan issue. (So far I've been disappointed with the poem, just as you mentioned, and the Niven short.)

I've still got about 8 days left on my free trial. I'll probably cancel it, since I'm gueesing there won't be a new issue released until February (?). And by then I'll have finished the 3 issues that I've got. If I like them, I'll subscribe in February. I do like that once/if I suscribe I can cancel at any time.

-X-

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Xia: Why thank you! I had yet to look in my content manager and did not realize I had received both November and December issues as well. I probably wouldn't have figured that out if you hadn't pointed it out. Thank you.

I agree that the Niven story fell short, but I loved the following one by McIntosh, and have found the Salih story interesting, but hard to read.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Mikuto said:
Xia: Why thank you! I had yet to look in my content manager and did not realize I had received both November and December issues as well. I probably wouldn't have figured that out if you hadn't pointed it out. Thank you.
You're welcome, Mikuto! I'm glad my post was helpful to you. I'm also glad that you received 3 issues instead of only 1, just like I did.

-X-

1 - 11 of 11 Posts