Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a copy of Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine several months ago because it had a story that I wanted to read. I read the story, and the magazine has been on my K1 all this time. I got my K2 and tried to send the magazine to it to reread some of it, and got a message that it couldn’t be sent. After emailing customer service, I was told that magazines just go away after a few months. I'm very upset. I have magazines from the 1950s that I still reread.

This is the equivalent of the bookstore sending someone to my house after a few months to steal the issues I've bought.

I wonder what idiot at Amazon thought this was a good idea. Needless to say, I'm not buying any more magazines for the Kindle.

Mike

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
jmiked said:
I bought a copy of Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine several months ago because it had a story that I wanted to read. ... ... ... I'm very upset. I have magazines from the 1950s that I still reread. This is the equivalent of the bookstore sending someone to my house after a few months to steal the issues I've bought. I wonder what idiot at Amazon thought this was a good idea. Needless to say, I'm not buying any more magazines for the Kindle. Mike
What about getting them from Fictionwise instead?
http://www.fictionwise.com/eBooks/eBook83469.htm

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I bought a copy of Ellery Queen's Mystery magazine last October and it is still available for download from my bookshelf.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ak rain said:
subscriptions go to specific Kindle and can not be shared. I think this has something to do with that.
sylvia
I couldn't even re-send it to the Kindle I bought it from. You just lose access to magazines over a certain age. Here's what customer service had to say:

"Only recent issues of magazines, newspapers and other subscriptions will be available for redownload from your Kindle or the "Manage Your Kindle" page at http://www.amazon.com/manageyourkindle.

Kindle automatically deletes issues that are more than seven issues old to free up space for new content."

Mike

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
jmiked said:
Yeah, I see the mags seem to be multi-format (unsecured). Nice. Thanks for telling me about them. Mike
You're very welcome! I've found a lot of interesting stuff at Fictionwise.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Yes, this is a known problem... We have had a few other threads on this topic.

·
Registered
34 Posts
What a rip-off!!  I would not be down with that at all. 

I must have missed the other threads on this subject as well.  I had no clue!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I would suggest that if you want to be able to re-read your magazines at a later date, that you download copies to your PC for later use.

However, as stated previously, these archived copies will only work on the Kindle it was originally purchased for.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just went to Fictionwise and bought the latest Ellery Queen's Mystery Mag.... It worked great. No DRM, no disappearing after a few months. They have my business.

Mike

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
jmiked said:
I just went to Fictionwise and bought the latest Ellery Queen's Mystery Mag.... It worked great. No DRM, no disappearing after a few months. They have my business.

Mike
This is a great place isn't it? Whatever you need assistance on - here it is. Glad you are happy now Mike, and I think I might have to go check it out as well. Thanks Mona :D

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I knew about the issue of not being able to transfer magazines to new Kindles (that really came up with the K2 switch), and I knew about the issue of not being able to re-download issues after a few months, but I never heard about them automatically deleting issues after a few months no matter what. That's new news to me, I must've missed those threads.

That's just ridiculous, IMO. They choose to automatically delete something on our behalf, that we've bought, to "free up space for new content"? That should never happen.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Steph H said:
That's just ridiculous, IMO. They choose to automatically delete something on our behalf, that we've bought, to "free up space for new content"? That should never happen.
I'm pretty sure that comment was directed at storage on Amazon, not on anyone's Kindle. As far as I know, the EQMM issue I bought is still on my old K1 that I gave to my brother, it just won't re-download to that Kindle or to my K2.

Mike

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Yes, they are automatically deleting the back issues from the Amazon servers, not from your Kindle.

·
Registered
220 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
Yes, they are automatically deleting the back issues from the Amazon servers, not from your Kindle.
Note from page 26 of the Kindle 2 guide:
Older issues appear inside a grouping called Periodicals: Back Issues. Selecting the grouping takes you to a screen that displays the back issues of all the periodicals you have on your Kindle. Note that Kindle automatically deletes issues that are more than seven issues old to free up space for new content. An exclamation point next to an issue indicates that it will be deleted within 48 hours.
That is from the section managing content on your Kindle itself and NOT the Amazon servers.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
mwb said:
That is from the section managing content on your Kindle itself and NOT the Amazon servers.
It does say that, doesn't it?

Oh well, at least there are other places you can get magazines...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts