Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most people know that getting magnets near hard drives is a BIG no-no, because you can end up losing your data that way.

Does anyone know if this applies to the Kindle? Say if I get a purse with a magnetic closure, or something similar like that?

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Hard drives are magnetic media.... The Kindle's internal storage, and SD cards, are not magnetic media. A magnetic closure will not affect them.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh, so the Kindle has flash memory instead of magnetic memory. Very interesting. I was unsure :)

·
Super Moderator
67,556 Posts
I'm not an electrical expert, nor do I play one on TV, but my recollection from college physics class is that electricity and magnetism are closely related.  Since Kindle uses electricity, I think there is a bit of care warranted.  I wouldn't put my kindle in the vicinity of any really strong magnet.  But I don't think the magnets generally on purses and such are likely to be a problem.  In fact for the last two days I've been using a purse that has a magnetic closure with no ill effects.

Ann

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
As always, Verena knows of what she speaks!  I was worried when I first started using a purse with a magnetic closure with my Palm T/X, but carried it for months with no ill effects.  I haven't even thought about it with my Kindle.

Betsy

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Yes, we learn through experience....  ;D

My husband (who has a degree in physics, mind you) was at a trade show a few years ago.... Kept having a problem with his hotel room door key.... Kept getting de-magnetized.... After the third time he realized that he was putting it in the same shirt pocket that he put his magnetic name tag on....

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
Yes, we learn through experience.... ;D

My husband (who has a degree in physics, mind you) was at a trade show a few years ago.... Kept having a problem with his hotel room door key.... Kept getting de-magnetized.... After the third time he realized that he was putting it in the same shirt pocket that he put his magnetic name tag on....
I'll keep that in mind when I wear scrubs and a magnet nametag

·
Registered
136 Posts
Oh, okay. Phew! I was wondering about this myself, since I've got a purse with magnetic closure. That's good to know.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
I wouldn't worry. I can't think of anything that would be in a Kindle that a clasp magnet would have an effect on.

Of course, if cars and bicycles tend to swerve towards you when you are carrying the purse, I might want to reconsider my opinion.  ;D

Mike

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I heard that the Kindle was originally supposed to have a magnetic cover, but they had to scrap the idea because the magnets messed with the Whispernet antenna.  I don't know if that's just an apocryphal story to explain why the cover we all got is subpar or not, but either way I wouldn't worry about purse magnets.  As Anju says, just don't try to make it stick on the refrigerator and you should be ok ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't know if this is the same kind of thing, but I've been warned not to keep hotel keycards next to my cellphone (or the keycards won't work).  I wonder if that also means if I should keep keycards away from Kris Kindle (and maybe cellphones away from Kris Kindle)!

G

·
I have a magnetic personality and my Kindle works fine.

JK

Personally, I'd not want to expose my Kindle to a highly magnetic field.  Why risk it if it can be avoided?

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
thejackylking said:
At the same time you need to realise that E-Ink is magnetic based. The ink is magnatised and that is how the images are formed. so you may want to keep magnets away from the screen.
The e-Ink is based on electric field effects, not magnetism. Over on the MobileRead forums, there are people who have put magnets directly on the screen with no effect.

Mike

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.