Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks!  Maybe some of you who use MailChimp for their newsletter can tell me how to fix this, but wanted to give a word of warning...  A friend just signed up for it and he said that in the confirmation email they send out, they give all of your subscribers your home address.  I am horrified.  I'm contacting support right now to figure out how to turn this off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
I don't think you can turn it off--I think to comply with spam laws, your address has to be on every commercial email.  You could use your business address, if you have one separate from your home address.  For me, I got a PO Box for my imprint to use, and put that on my newsletters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Hello Kate,

They provide the address that is associated with your MailChimp account, yes, and All autoresponders (reputable ones) do this now, as it is actually a CanSpamAct FDA regulation that email from a "bulk" classified sender such as Mailchimp is required to provide both an Opt Out link and the Senders physical address within the footer of the email.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
817 Posts
Not an error, sadly. Due to U.S. Can Spam regs, they have to give out a physical address. I went around this by getting a UPS Store Mailbox (or you could get a Post Office Box). You also need to be careful with which email address you use with MailChimp, as was pointed out to me by the incomparable SM Reine the other day, apparently my subscribers have been getting my "secret" personal email address rather than the author one. Whoops.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,749 Posts
This is a requirement of the Can SPAM Act. All email "bulk" mailers (such as Mailchimp and are the other reputable mailing lists) are required to provide the sender's mailing address, as well as an opt-out link.

They automatically use the address associated with your account (and yes, this was stated upfront in the terms of service that you agreed to), and if you don't want your home address used, you should set up a PO Box instead. (Not getting my act together to rent a PO Box was the reason it took me so long to finally set up a mailing list.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
642 Posts
I noticed this too when I was setting up my account with them. Luckily, I haven't set it up to the point where people can see yet.

Amanda Brice said:
They automatically use the address associated with your account (and yes, this was stated upfront in the terms of service that you agreed to), and if you don't want your home address used, you should set up a PO Box instead. (Not getting my act together to rent a PO Box was the reason it took me so long to finally set up a mailing list.)
This is also my suggestion and, ironically, the same reason I've been holding off on making my mailing list live.

(Does anyone know if I can change the address at a later date when I finally DO get a PO Box?)

Lady_O said:
Thanks for the info. It may be time to go corporate.
Wait, what does corporate have to do with it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, everyone!  Off to remove all links to my MailChimp signup and decide whether I cancel outright or suddenly have to budget in the purchase of a PO box.  I can appreciate the need for information to prevent spammers, but man...  a dumb newsletter isn't worth the safety concerns.  Anyone else thinking about using MailChimp, get yourself a PO Box first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,749 Posts
KateDanley said:
Anyone else thinking about using MailChimp, get yourself a PO Box first.
This advice applies not only to MailChimp, but to all the mailing list service providers -- whether free or paid. It's not MailChimp's rule, it's the federal government's regulation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
855 Posts
NRWick said:
Wait, what does corporate have to do with it?
If you set up a corporation or any type of co, you should be able to use the name of the corporation. This may be interesting if you're a school teacher in a religious school and write stuff that you would not want to share with the PTA.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
642 Posts
Lady_O said:
If you set up a corporation or any type of co, you should be able to use the name of the corporation. This may be interesting if you're a school teacher in a religious school and write stuff that you would not want to share with the PTA.
Oooh, I see. Thanks!

RobertJCrane said:
I did. It's not too tough, just look under account settings.
Thanks!

And Kate, just a heads up, if you have bought a domain name and did not pay to privatize your info, anyone can see your home address that you may have added when you purchased the domain name. Just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone who did not know. (And another reason I'm trying to budget for a PO Box.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
NRWick said:
And Kate, just a heads up, if you have bought a domain name and did not pay to privatize your info, anyone can see your home address that you may have added when you purchased the domain name. Just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone who did not know. (And another reason I'm trying to budget for a PO Box.)
Yes! Excellent words of warning! I do pay for the privatize option... every year... what a racket.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
855 Posts
KateDanley said:
Yes! Excellent words of warning! I do pay for the privatize option... every year... what a racket.
I'm just happy it's possible when you pay, in some European countries it's not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,642 Posts
I use Constant Contact (which is a pay service, not free), and I am able to customize my footer with the address I choose, NOT the address I sign up with. So I am able to be a city and state, but not a specific address. I've been sending emails out for years that just say "Proudly South Austin, Texas" for my address. Maybe I'm in violation, but it's been fine for at least eight years. Pay services may have more leeway since the email is tied to a credit card and not just a sign-up email.

It's $16 a month for up to 500 email addresses. I keep my list lean by having everyone reopt in every six months. I get upset when I'm reported as spam, as they were the ones who signed up! Anyway--this is Constant Contact: http://tinyurl.com/appa77v
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
855 Posts
I just and changed my account's name from my real name to LadyO and removed the unit number in the building ... I'll just have to tell my post person.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
997 Posts
TexasGirl said:
I use Constant Contact (which is a pay service, not free), and I am able to customize my footer with the address I choose, NOT the address I sign up with. So I am able to be a city and state, but not a specific address. I've been sending emails out for years that just say "Proudly South Austin, Texas" for my address. Maybe I'm in violation, but it's been fine for at least eight years. Pay services may have more leeway since the email is tied to a credit card and not just a sign-up email.

It's $16 a month for up to 500 email addresses. I keep my list lean by having everyone reopt in every six months. I get upset when I'm reported as spam, as they were the ones who signed up! Anyway--this is Constant Contact: http://tinyurl.com/appa77v
I dunno...Mailchimp is free, and a (rather huge) PO Box at my local office runs me $94 / year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,749 Posts
Lady_O said:
If you set up a corporation or any type of co, you should be able to use the name of the corporation. This may be interesting if you're a school teacher in a religious school and write stuff that you would not want to share with the PTA.
You'd still need to have a physical address for the corporation, however. So unless you have a business address separate from your home address, MailChimp would still be giving your home address.

FWIW, I signed up as "Amanda Brice" rather than under my legal name. As far as I'm concerned, Amanda is the one who owns the mailing list, since it's never used by my real persona, and I wanted my pen name to show in the footers of the emails. You can do that without having any sort of corporation or formally organized company. (Apple, on the other hand, needs to see proof of incorporation or business organization showing that you do business under your pen name as a trade name -- I have a DBA.)
 
1 - 20 of 74 Posts
Top