Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about making a trailer for my book... and, uhhh... I wanted to use some clips from Disney movies. (or at the very least, pictures of Disney characters) But I'm thinking that would be very BAD, right? And they'd sue me within an inch of my life?

Just checking. I've made plenty of videos where I've borrowed various movie clips (and nothing bad ever happened) but I was never using those clips to sell something.

Has anyone else made a trailer? If so, give me a link! I need some ideas.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Disney is EXTREMELY well known for destroying people for using their works. Even parodies and the such on youtube have been blammed by Disney's lawyers. In reality, Disney is the absolute worst choice of company to mess with concerning copyright.

Source: My project on copyright infringement in education.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Yes, that's a huge no-no.  Making fan vids is one thing (still illegal, but unlikely to get you sued).  Making a trailer for profit with someone else's copyrighted material is likely to bring down lawyers on your head.  Don't do it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys. I figured as much. I've made dozens of videos for entertainment purposes, but I know I'd get BUSTED if I used copyrighted material for commercial use. I thought I might try to squeak it by (because how many people are really going to watch my video?) but it might not be worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
It's similar to Disney using your book cover or writing for its own promotion. Your work and Disney's work is both protected by copyright.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Disney has definitely been known to go after people for less, so I agree with everything said here. Use this as an opportunity to think of something else memorable that's uniquely you to draw attention to your book instead!

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
I used to do eggery..weird I know.  I would decoupage on goose eggs and etch on Emu eggs and sell at local craft fairs.  Before I started doing the shows, a good friend advised me to be sure to never use any Disney characters as they have reps who do nothing but troll craft fairs looking for infringement.

These dudes are pretty serious.  :)

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
No, they wouldn't sue you to death. Once you're dead they have to give up hopes of collecting from you. Unlike 'Wolfram & Hart', Disney's power ends in this sphere, though I understand they may be looking into the possibilities.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Terrence OBrien said:
It's similar to Disney using your book cover or writing for its own promotion. Your work and Disney's work is both protected by copyright.
The only difference being... I WISH Disney would do that! lol!

·
Registered
876 Posts
karenk105 said:
I was thinking about making a trailer for my book... and, uhhh... I wanted to use some clips from Disney movies. (or at the very least, pictures of Disney characters) But I'm thinking that would be very BAD, right? And they'd sue me within an inch of my life?

Just checking. I've made plenty of videos where I've borrowed various movie clips (and nothing bad ever happened) but I was never using those clips to sell something.

Has anyone else made a trailer? If so, give me a link! I need some ideas.
Well, aside from the legal aspect, how would you feel about someone else using/stealing/borrowing your material to promote and sell their product?

And yes. Yes, you will be sued.

EllenFisher said:
Yes, that's a huge no-no. Making fan vids is one thing (still illegal, but unlikely to get you sued). Making a trailer for profit with someone else's copyrighted material is likely to bring down lawyers on your head. Don't do it.
+1

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
To go back to your question about trailers... I would use text and music and if you need pictures, find a photo exhcange site where you can get permission to use pictures.  Or try and take some of your own.

For example, for my Pulsate trailer... I used the book cover and broke it up into different pcitures. 

Book trailers aren't a huge tool for marketing so I wouldn't personally spend too much time or money on one.

-jb 8)

·
Registered
816 Posts
Sued? Really? Have any of you ever been on Youtube? (I'm assuming that's where you'd host it)

There are literally tens of millions of videos appropriating copyrighted footage for various uses, including as trailers for other stuff. The only thing that'd happen is if the video got flagged, it'd get taken down for copyright violation. "This video has been removed after a copyright claim by Disney" or whatever. Unless you're planning on running it on TV or something, nobody's getting sued.

·
Registered
134 Posts
D.A. Boulter said:
No, they wouldn't sue you to death. Once you're dead they have to give up hopes of collecting from you. Unlike 'Wolfram & Hart', Disney's power ends in this sphere, though I understand they may be looking into the possibilities.
Have you seen Hercules? They have Hades on the payroll. Just saying...

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Do not do this. It's blatant copyright infringement. As an author (and I assume all authors are concerned about their own copyrights), why would you willingly violate someone else's?

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
karenk105 said:
You might not get sued to death.

You might get sued "to the pain."

(See THE PRINCESS BRIDE for definition of "to the pain.") ;)

But yeah, rest assure, you would be sued. By very well-paid Disney lawyers. And their Marvel Comics enforcers. Like Wolverine. You don't want that. A gutfull of adamantium claws is not curable by Prilosec.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
There are literally tens of millions of videos appropriating copyrighted footage for various uses, including as trailers for other stuff. The only thing that'd happen is if the video got flagged, it'd get taken down for copyright violation. "This video has been removed after a copyright claim by Disney" or whatever. Unless you're planning on running it on TV or something, nobody's getting sued.
A dangerous assumption. This is generally true for fan videos, which are not intended to make their producers money. But for a video promoting a book or other product? I think it's quite possible that Disney's lawyers might come after that. I wouldn't risk it, personally.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
EllenFisher said:
A dangerous assumption. This is generally true for fan videos, which are not intended to make their producers money. But for a video promoting a book or other product? I think it's quite possible that Disney's lawyers might come after that. I wouldn't risk it, personally.
This. There is a difference between a fan video and a video promoting a commercial product.

Seriously, why risk it? And why would you want to do this anyway? As a reader, I'd think you were being lazy by using Disney images rather than getting creative and doing something unique to your book.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts