Kindle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got one of my stories free on Smashwords.  I want to make it free on B&N.  Premium status was just approved on Smashwords today, but it's still showing as .99 on B&N. I did opt in for distrubution on Smashwords, but I also uploaded a file right to B&N.  Any idea how to make this work?

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
If you've uploaded it directly to B&N, then I believe you have to go through Pubit to change the price.

I'm not familiar with that process, so I'm no help.  Sorry.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Lisa Scott said:
B&N doesn't let you make it free. But thanks. :)
I didn't know that. That's kind of weird, giving authors who go through Smashwords an advantage that authors going through Pubit don't have.

When Smashwords and Amazon finally get their deal together, I'm curious how that's going to work. Will it be the same way with free books distributed through Smashwords showing up on Amazon as free, while authors publishing through KDP have to wait for price matching to get their stuff free?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Unfortunately, you have to wait for SW to ship it to BN. Then it can take a few weeks for BN to update the price.  I have my novelette, The Right Path, free at SW. It finally showed up free at BN, but it was a bit of a wait.  No way around it though if you want it free at BN especially if you hoping to have Amazon match it somewhere down the line.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Deb.  So even though I uploaded directly to B&N, smashwords will eventually override the .99 price on B&N?

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
What you need to do is Opt In for B&N on Smashwords, with the price being set for $0.00, and unpublish the book on Pubit. Then wait for Smashwords to ship it there, and it will show up as a free book. That's how I did it.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
swolf said:
I didn't know that. That's kind of weird, giving authors who go through Smashwords an advantage that authors going through Pubit don't have.

When Smashwords and Amazon finally get their deal together, I'm curious how that's going to work. Will it be the same way with free books distributed through Smashwords showing up on Amazon as free, while authors publishing through KDP have to wait for price matching to get their stuff free?
In theory, yes.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Laura Lond said:
What you need to do is Opt In for B&N on Smashwords, with the price being set for $0.00, and unpublish the book on Pubit. Then wait for Smashwords to ship it there, and it will show up as a free book. That's how I did it.
Thanks! How long did it take?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
You don't have to unpublish on Pubit. Keep it there so any reviews transfer over to the new listing through smashwords. If you don't expect to raise your price again, you may want to unpub the Pubit but if the free is only temporary, you can keep the Pubit listing and have the smashwords listing. I have one of mine up there twice. (Sometimes people actually buy the $0.99 version.)

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
horse_girl said:
You don't have to unpublish on Pubit. Keep it there so any reviews transfer over to the new listing through smashwords. If you don't expect to raise your price again, you may want to unpub the Pubit but if the free is only temporary, you can keep the Pubit listing and have the smashwords listing. I have one of mine up there twice. (Sometimes people actually buy the $0.99 version.)
I haven't thought of that, but yes, you can actually keep two versions of the book on B&N, one published directly and another one through Smashwords. Then you can play with the prices easier.

As to how long it takes, I don't remember for sure, but Smash is pretty quick about "shipping" to B&N. I think it's several days to a week.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts