Kindle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I'm new to publishing any of my writings. Does anyone have any insights/comments about making the first book in a series or a prequel a free download on Amazon ?

Not there yet, but my fantasy series (5 books ?) will begin with John & Andy – Book 1 – An Ancient Arrival. Planning on e-publishing on Amazon in March, with a bit of luck.

I'm reluctant to give Book 1 away, but as it is long (>150K words) it would not be a stretch to pull a few Chapters from the beginning and put them into an introductory novella.

Any thoughts

Cheers - Nick

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wrote a prequel for a Regency series. Then put out the other books, 1 per month. April, May, Jun, Jul. Then wrote another one that just came out. I had a bookbub for each except for the Jun book and links in the back of the freebie. To date: I've had 45k downloads. (I recently expanded the freebie to be eligible for a BB that just ran on 1/3/22.) The new release was the next day. It's worked out really well. The key is having those other books for sale if you do a freebie.
Hi Kathy,
Thanks very much for taking the time to give me your insights on prequels.

I have the same problem with time I suppose a lot of other writers have, i.e. not enough of it. :)

I wrote my story without much structure as a free-flowing, character driven, almost no plot, stream of imagination. Now I am trying to make a book which someone might want to read from about 40% of a 400K word doc file :(

I'm spending a lot of time editing the text, so it looks more like a regular book. I hope I will have book 1 knocked into shape by the end of March. Therefore, if I do write a prequel and have both books 1 and 2 ready for publishing, I would be looking at another 12 months minimum.

We'll see - I'm going to have a good think before I decide.

All the best, Nick

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wouldn't make a book free until you have at least two other books for sale. However, yes, first in series free works really well.
Thanks for that.

We have a consensus of sorts that a free book can work well if there are at least two more books in the series which are published simultaneously.

I could certainly meet that criterion, given time. I have enough already written for two and a half books, at least.

What it boils down to for me is :- Do I publish Book 1 at the end of March, early April. Or, having reached that point with one book on the chocks, do I put the work into Book2 so that is ready too, and write a prequel ? The second option probably means nothing will be published until early next year.

Hmmmm :unsure:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts