Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my kindle for a week now and I LOVE it!!  I have downloaded several books and I'm now looking at how to manage these.  Would some of you give me your tips on what organizing tips work for you?  Right now I have genre collections and have them organized that way.

Next, I have one book series on the kindle but I can see that I will likely have more in the future.  I can't be the only kindle owner who wants to keep the series in order.  How do I do that? 

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
67,350 Posts
I like www.fictfact.com.  You can note for each book in the series whether you've read it.  It doesn't have a review or rating function, but I don't care so much about that.  They'll let you know when new books in the series are released.

The collections I have on my kindle are pretty simple -- just a few genres.  Anything I'm actively reading is not in a collection so it is readily available quickly on the home page.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ann, thanks for the tip on fictfact!  I hadn't heard of that website and I spent quite a bit of time there last night!

Luvmy4brats, I have read a little about Calibre, but haven't looked into it.  I'm off to check it ou!

Thank you both!

·
Registered
913 Posts
I use Calibre also to manage my Collections and there is a plug-in that you can place into Calibre that will let you manage directly within Calibre including series order, etc.  Since I read a ton of series, this has really helped me and I don't have to manage the Collections directly on my Kindle.  Instead I am able to do this in Calibre.  Here's an example of how my Collections are organized:

Accidental Friedns - Cassidy, Dakota (4)
Advice Column Mystery - Isleib, Roberta (3)
Aurora Teagarden - Harris, Charlene (8)

I like to know the series name along with the author.  For one off or single novels, I have a Collection called: "Single Novels" (25) - You get the picture.  I don't categorize by genre.

All of the above is done with Calibre, once I preview and decide that the Collections look correct, I push a button and Calibre organizes all of this directly on the Kindle.  Once done, I eject, the Kindle automatically re-boots, and Voila, my Collections.  

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've downloaded Calibre and played with it just a bit.  And managed to load dupes of all my books onto the kindle.  Sure figuring out how to add and remove books from the kindle with Calibre!

Mike, hit me with the plug-in tools for series management! 

·
Registered
913 Posts
Here you go:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=237. I would suggest starting with the Plug-in Updater.

The fabulous Calibre developers have also created a GUI that makes installing and maintaining your plug-ins easier. Basically you download this FIRST and then you can pick and choose which plug-ins you would like to install. This has made life SOOOO much easier. The other great thing about the plug-in updater is that it lets you know when there is a plug-in that has an update. If you decide to update, you just click and it automatically downloads. I have a number of plug-ins installed in Calibre and this ensures I am always working with the latest version. So I think I would start here and then pick and choose which plug-ins work the best for you.

With each plug-in you load there start at the beginning of the thread because the developers give some good information about what the plug-in does and usually some screen shots. Good Luck and let us know how things work out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts