Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm three chapters into my WIP, working in Scrivener, when suddenly my Scrivener file disappears. Luckily, I've become a backup nut and I'm able to restore it, but that's it, no more Scrivener for me! I copy the files into Word and continue working in Word.

Then:

The Word file disappears. Again, I'm able to restore from a backup, but now I'm wondering: WTF???

I do have a new laptop running Windows 8. I wonder if W8 is the problem.

·
Registered
246 Posts
You need to give more info.
When I did the ebooks, I inserted the chapters and pictures intro a Word document I saved as .doc in Word 2003. In Word 2007 or 2010, save as Word 97-2003. It removes some of the code that causes problems when uploading.
I didn't lose any files.
I had set up Word to auto save every so often.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Jan Strnad said:
I'm three chapters into my WIP, working in Scrivener, when suddenly my Scrivener file disappears. Luckily, I've become a backup nut and I'm able to restore it, but that's it, no more Scrivener for me! I copy the files into Word and continue working in Word.

Then:

The Word file disappears. Again, I'm able to restore from a backup, but now I'm wondering: WTF???

I do have a new laptop running Windows 8. I wonder if W8 is the problem.
As tens of thousands of others have not had this experience I doubt that the fault is Scrivener's. I tried Windows 8 then reverted back to Windows 7 after all manner of weird faults related to memory and storage with large (100 MB plus) Adobe files. Too many people are having problems with it - I'll stick with 7.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm still using XP Pro.
It works and I'm fine with it.
I've read that there are problems with Win8.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DarkScribe said:
As tens of thousands of others have not had this experience I doubt that the fault is Scrivener's. I tried Windows 8 then reverted back to Windows 7 after all manner of weird faults related to memory and storage with large (100 MB plus) Adobe files. Too many people are having problems with it - I'll stick with 7.
That's what I'm thinking.

I'd stick with Windows 7, too, if I had the choice. I'm not up for a system install at this point, when I've finally gotten my files transferred and programs reinstalled.

But definitely, I'm thinking it's a Windows 8 problem.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Check and make sure you are saving the file into the folder you think you are saving it into. If you aren't watching it, you might be saving into the last folder you had open rather than the folder you think you are sending it to.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Jan Strnad said:
That's what I'm thinking.

I'd stick with Windows 7, too, if I had the choice. I'm not up for a system install at this point, when I've finally gotten my files transferred and programs reinstalled.

But definitely, I'm thinking it's a Windows 8 problem.
You could dual boot it with a simple install of Win7 just for writing on one partition. Save all the hassle of re-installing all programs. Or even add a second drive and always boot from the boot menu.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts