Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wrote: "Many claim that..."

But Grammarly corrects me to "Many claims that..."

Many are more than one person, so don't use the "s" at the end of the verb?

Which one is correct?

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Be careful with Grammarly. And all editing software, for that matter. If you're someone who has a strong command of the language and are just using the program as an 'extra set of eyes' on your manuscript for proofreading, it can be great. But software like that has a bad habit of giving incorrect corrections, and someone who doesn't have a strong command of grammar can wind up introducing more errors into their manuscript.

·
Registered
320 Posts
How many claims?
Is it many different individuals claiming? Many claim. "Many claim they ate the pie."

Is it many different claims being made? Many claims --" Many claims are coming in about the pie."

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How many claims?
Is it many different individuals claiming? Many claim. "Many claim they ate the pie."

Is it many different claims being made? Many claims --" Many claims are coming in about the pie."
Thank you all for your replies.

It is "Many claim" at the beginning of a sentence. The sentence say something like "Many claim A but the evidence shows B", and then I discuss the research supporting B in the paragraph.

As many of you know I am not a native of English, I am translating my non-fiction book to publish it in English as well. For the first three chapters, I hire an editor, but since I didn't have big mistakes and due to my lack of budget, I will continue to review the other chapters with the help of friends who have studied English but are not native speakers either. I decide to use Grammarly because to detect other possible mistakes, I think it is correcting quite well and what does not correct it well is quite obvious to the eye.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
How many claims?

You took the words out of my mouth.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you all for your replies.

It is "Many claim" at the beginning of a sentence. The sentence say something like "Many claim A but the evidence shows B", and then I discuss the research supporting B in the paragraph.

As many of you know I am not a native of English, I am translating my non-fiction book to publish it in English as well. For the first three chapters, I hire an editor, but since I didn't have big mistakes and due to my lack of budget, I will continue to review the other chapters with the help of friends who have studied English but are not native speakers either. I decide to use Grammarly because to detect other possible mistakes, I think it is correcting quite well and what does not correct it well is quite obvious to the eye.
You are using it correctly in this instance :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts