Kindle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed there are a great many different e-readers coming out by a bunch of different companies. I don't think this will hurt Amazon too much, maybe the Kindle will sell less units, but I'm pretty sure Amazon has a different plan. Their money is coming from the books isn't it? I see they've already enabled the I pod to read kindle books, it's just a matter of time before they allow most of the e-readers out there to use their format. It seems like that was their plan all along though. They couldn't very well expect to be the only makers of E-readers, it seems like this was just their method of starting an E-book store. After all it is called a "Kindle."

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I agree! And that's why I bought stock as soon as I heard about the Kindle! Of course the hardware is just the portal to the ebook store!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I agree. I've been interested by eReaders for a long time. (5 years?) I never bought one until the Kindle. What sold me was access to books wirelessly (without a subscription) and being able to subscribe to newspapers and magazines that are instantly delivered wirelessly.

Frankly, unless I had access to Amazon's selection of books without docking to a computer, I wouldn't be interested.

·
Registered
21,588 Posts
But you know, Amazon HAS to do a better job about providing the books.
A lot of them are the "public domain" books.  Like All of Edgar Rice Bouroughs works - All 20 or 30 something of the Tarzan books. And Arthur Conan Doyle and etc.  Provided mostly by the Gutenburg and MobileRead.  Some of these are formatted pretty bad.
And yes most of Tom Clancy is there.
But To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee is not.
And only one title by Michener - come on the man wrote lots of books.
And less than half of Michael Crichton's work (yeah I think I mispelled his last name).  None of the Jurasic Park books, nor Anddromeda Strain nor Congo.
Non of the terrific books by Julian May
a skimpy selection by Raymon Feist.
Less than half of C. J. Cherryh's work. One three book series - the last book is not there.  One 6 book series the 6th book is not there. Several of her best singles are not there.  And one that is there cannot be bought - you get not available yet when you try to buy (why list it?).
I LOVE the K2 and I LOVE Amazon.  But we need the books that we want to read.  I would like to go and get the Kindle version of books that I normally go and buy the hard-copy of.  And I cannot do that.  Right now I am re-reading things like A.C. Doyle and E. R. Bouroughs and discovering new writers like Jeff Hepple (yes our own Jeff). 
And that will keep a dedicated reader and "almost early adopter" happy but they need to do a better job with mainstream titles.
Just Sayin.......

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Agreed Geoff, but the content is coming from a hundred sources, and not always in order, or properly formatted. Give it some time, we are still in the infancy of the eBook revolution. Amazon is still years ahead of any other eBook store and getting better all the time. It is a major undertaking and while I believe Amazon really needs to expand the eBook department and kick it into high gear, I think they are doing a pretty good job!

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
The publisher/writers have a great deal to do with what is available as an ebook. That is why no Harry Potter. None of the books from the 70s,80s, or before had electronic versions figured in their copyright because their where no ebooks. Until that has been accomplished, they won't be released. Some of the newer books seem to be released electronically in a most haphazard way.
I believe Amazon is doing the best they can to release as many ebooks as they can. I am sure they would love to sell more

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
geoffthomas said:
A lot of them are the "public domain" books. Like All of Edgar Rice Bouroughs works - All 20 or 30 something of the Tarzan books. And Arthur Conan Doyle and etc. Provided mostly by the Gutenburg and MobileRead. Some of these are formatted pretty bad.
And less than half of Michael Crichton's work (yeah I think I mispelled his last name). None of the Jurasic Park books, nor Anddromeda Strain nor Congo.
Less than half of C. J. Cherryh's work. One three book series - the last book is not there. One 6 book series the 6th book is not there. Several of her best singles are not there. And one that is there cannot be bought - you get not available yet when you try to buy (why list it?).
I LOVE the K2 and I LOVE Amazon. But we need the books that we want to read. I would like to go and get the Kindle version of books that I normally go and buy the hard-copy of. And I cannot do that. Right now I am re-reading things like A.C. Doyle and E. R. Bouroughs and discovering new writers like Jeff Hepple (yes our own Jeff).
And that will keep a dedicated reader and "almost early adopter" happy but they need to do a better job with mainstream titles.
Just Sayin.......
Well, for the most part that isn't Amazon's fault - it's the authors and/or publishers (or the rights-holders) that aren't releasing the digital rights to their work - or slow the get them converted & available to Amazon. I think some of them are afraid of the technology - that it will make it easier to "pirate" copies of their books. But hello - the pirated versions are already out there. And some publishers are just slow to make them available. I've been waiting for the first couple of books of one series to become available for awhile now, even wrote the author through his website back in November (I just checked) and he responded that he thinks the plan is for them to all be available eventually - but they still aren't there. To me that's a publisher issue - not Amazon.

Amazon is more than happy to provide everything the publishers provide to them (that's just common/business sense) - the publishers just need to get on the stick. Or the computer, as it were...

·
Registered
530 Posts
The Kindle was not my first eBook reader, I had the eBookwise (Rocket) eBook reader and loved it until the Kindle came out. I think that ultimately it will be the content available and delivery options that will continue to determine what device holds marketshare. For sure, the Kindle is superior to the eBookwise reader from a readability standpoint, but I used to read my eBookwise all day with no eye strain. I had issues with it in heat but that was really it.

Where Amazon clearly has the edge right now is in books available and deliver of the content. Yes, there are things they need to improve but it is getting better daily. When I got my KK the number of samples I had never really exceeded about 5 at a time. Currently I have over 30 samples waiting for me to "crack the cover" on them and most of those are relatively new additions to the Amazon selection.

Undoubtedly, other companies will develop readers that have the same level of quality, and delivery options, then it becomes a matter of selection and user preference, but for right now...I agree, there is only one Amazon and I am thankful that they have decided to take on this market that so many said would not ever work...

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I have heard some of the publishers in interviews say that they would prefer the Sony E-Book reader to Kindle. Many in my family have read or heard the interviews and asked me about it. My cousin wanted to know why a publisher would say something like that and if it was a sign that the Kindle was going to be short lived.

My theory is that the publishers want to avoid what happened when ITunes hit the scene. It became the provider for music on the internet. Since Apple controls such a large share of the market, Apple has a great deal of control over pricing and the like. The publishers are probably worried that Amazon's Kindle Book store will become the next ITunes and will be able to dictate prices and other such fun. This might explain why Publishers are hesitant to transfer older books into the Kindle format.

We can already see that Publishers and Sony charge more for the e-books then Amazon does.

So the lack of past books being available on Kindle is due to the problem of time it takes to convert a book to the proper format, massive backlog, and publishers hoping and praying that Amazon does not become the dominant player.

I think the Publishers are going to be very disappointed.

·
Registered
78 Posts
We're not at the 'razor blade' selling model, yet.  (Get the holder free, buy razor blades).

Ebooks really  need a major investor to take an interest and provide books and a reader at reasonable costs.  I think Amazon needs to license the DRM and technology at a reasonable level to ensure their format survives.  Sony refused to license Beta video technology to other companies, and JVC did with VHS, well you know the rest of the story there...

Getting a major publisher to commit and say "ALL of our content will be available electroncially would help, too.  Companies that don't probably run the risk of someone buying a popular book, scanning and OCRing it, and releasing it on the net.  While some people are OK with stealing content, there's a huge market in selling to others.

While the iTunes model is imperfect, as Apple has too much control over pricing, I'm very much on the fence as to whether I'd like to see Amazon that successful.

What also needs to happen is a way for the secondary market to develop. I'm frustrated that I buy Kindle books, but I cannot lend them to friends or family unless their Kindles are linked with mine, and I cannot sell used copies at all.  (I'd be happy if Amazon would license Kindle book transfers for a small fee, say 25 or 50 cents.)

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
geoffthomas said:
A lot of them are the "public domain" books. Like All of Edgar Rice Bouroughs works - All 20 or 30 something of the Tarzan books. And Arthur Conan Doyle and etc. Provided mostly by the Gutenburg and MobileRead. Some of these are formatted pretty bad.
And less than half of Michael Crichton's work (yeah I think I mispelled his last name). None of the Jurasic Park books, nor Anddromeda Strain nor Congo.
Less than half of C. J. Cherryh's work. One three book series - the last book is not there. One 6 book series the 6th book is not there. Several of her best singles are not there. And one that is there cannot be bought - you get not available yet when you try to buy (why list it?).
I LOVE the K2 and I LOVE Amazon. But we need the books that we want to read. I would like to go and get the Kindle version of books that I normally go and buy the hard-copy of. And I cannot do that. Right now I am re-reading things like A.C. Doyle and E. R. Bouroughs and discovering new writers like Jeff Hepple (yes our own Jeff).
Just Sayin.......
just be sure to go on Amazon every so often and request the books you want on Kindle - it is up to the publishers and authors if they are Kindlized and my feeling is they need to know we want them .

·
Registered
65 Posts
Every time I see a book that's not available in Kindle format I click the "I'd like to read this book on Kindle" link. And just the other day I sent an email to Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child asking them to exert whatever influence they have on their publisher to get their first two books, "Relic" and "Reliquary" published in Kindle format. Readers need to give feedback to help this process move more rapidly.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The Kindle hardware itself is just a delivery method for Amazon to sell books, and it happens to be a more efficient one. Instead of having a warehouse full of books, you can store them on a data server. It also saves on shipping costs, and is more efficient in almost every way. Having said that, I'm all for competition, and I think we're going to see a lot of great hardware released as ebook readers gain popularity.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I'm pretty sure Amazon knows what they are doing. It probably was their plan all along to first get as much market share and then allow other e-books to use their formats.  ;)

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Kind said:
I'm pretty sure Amazon knows what they are doing. It probably was their plan all along to first get as much market share and then allow other e-books to use their formats. ;)
Yep - and possibly even eventually stop selling the hardware & let someone else do that & just make the money on the content. (When I say eventually I mean WAY down the road from now.)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.