Kindle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have made several attempts to download books from www.manybooks.net, but when I try to open them I get a message saying that the book is not supported.  Has anyone had success downloading books from this site?  If so, what is the trick.

Jack

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Hi Jack, Welcome Aboard. I haven't heard of the site so I am on there now trying it out and will get back with you.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Hi Jack, back again. I just went to their site (thank you so much for the new website) and downloaded Hans Christian Anderson and it came out fine onto Kindle, I can open it up and read it. Maybe it is just one of the books that has a bad link or something? Has this happened with every book you tried?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Maybe because I am an old-timer Kindle user I can do it (4 days now) Just Luck for me...but the trick is to download the Kindle format. Save it into your download book files. Then, when you hook Kindle to your computer USB...(there might be an easier way but this is how I figured it out)...right click on the book that you saved and tell it to send it to Kindle Drive F or whatever your Kindle drive is. Then, when you click on your Kindle list drag it into the Kindle documents and anything in the Kindle Documents is what is on your Kindle.

Now, was that as clear as mud? Let me know and I will try to help you through it again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sailor,

I didn't download the books to "downloaded book files," I merely downloaded to my documents.  Should I have placed the books in a specific download file?  I didn't have any trouble with www.feedbooks.com or www.freekindlebooks.org.

Jack

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
It doesn't matter where you download the books to, but it does matter what folder you put them in when you transfer them to the Kindle via the USB cable.

When you connect your Kindle and computer via USB, the Kindle shows up as another drive. When you open the Kindle drive, one of the folders in it is called "documents." That is where you need to move (drag and drop) the file you downloaded. Then you eject the Kindle from the PC (and remove the USB cable), and you should be able to see your ebook on your Kindle.

If you cannot see the file on the Kindle, either the format is wrong, or perhaps there is DRM on it.

If you have further difficulties, please post a link to the e-book you are trying to load.

·
Super Moderator
67,323 Posts
You can use the Kindle browser to go to www.mnybks.net and download directly to your kindle.  It's not the best organization; you can sort by title or author but you have to page through all the names.  But if you find a book on the computer you can get the book I.D.  then go to Kindle and put that in directly to download it.  Use the mobi format.  One weird thing I noticed is that the 'bookmark' on the kindle says something like 'free cellphone books' which is weird but I think that's what it was originally developed for.

You can also download the book to your computer and then send it to your kindle e-mail if you're in a Whispernet area.  You don't HAVE to use the USB cable.  On the computer the site is www.manybooks.net and there is a Kindle file type.  It's probably better formatted than the mobi format which is fairly unadorned when it's downloaded directly.  Or such has been my experience.  Feedbooks and Mobipocket both have better formatting in my opinion.  There's a big overlap of available books but there are some on each that aren't on the others.  Depends what you want I guess.

Ann

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Jack,

I haven't downloaded many books yet, still too new at this and not familar with the other sites you mentioned.

Just make sure when you finally have the book you want, no matter what place you downloaded it, transfer it to the KINDLE DOCUMENT by draging it into the the KINDLE DOCUMENT...that is where it will get put onto the Kindle. The USB will make a KINDLE DRIVE and the KINDLE DOCUMENT will be there. see if this helps.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
You don't HAVE to use the USB cable.
This is true. I do think it's a good skill to learn, especially if you ever have difficulty with the WhisperNet connection.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
This is true. I do think it's a good skill to learn, especially if you ever have difficulty with the WhisperNet connection.
I agree, Pidgeon.

Just one point (because I was confused at first): if you have an SD card in your Kindle, it will show up as a separate drive. So when I connect my Kindle with the USB, the Kindle is drive G: and the SD card is drive H:

L

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Most of the classics I have downloaded are from manybooks.net.  I did them in kindle format on the computer opened the file using mobipocket and dragged into my Kindlebooks folder via usb.  Then once I got them in the Kindle; I created a new folder freeKindlebooks and dragged the titles there so that they wouldn't interfere with anything else Kindle.  I do keep all my classics on a separate SD card because of the large file sizes and the various formatting.

Does my rather lousy explanation make any sense?

G

·
I've never had any problem with feedbooks, but with Manybooks, forget downloading the Kindle format. They never come out with the correct title or author. Always download the Mobi version and email them to your Kindle email address. This always seems to work.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
kindler said:
I've never had any problem with feedbooks, but with Manybooks, forget downloading the Kindle format. They never come out with the correct title or author. Always download the Mobi version and email them to your Kindle email address. This always seems to work.
Thanks for the input Kindler.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts