Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could not for the life of me find the other thread on this, my apologies.

Anyway, I started hanging out at the Cartographer's Guild (http://www.cartographersguild.com) and a nicer group of map geeks cannot be found. They are very generous with their time and expertise, with dozens of tutorials aimed at all kinds of maps. I'm not an artist, but I've come pretty far with my world map:

It's far, far from done, but that should give you an idea of what you can do. The cool thing is, this map used a random generator method to make the shapes and after a couple of attempts the exact shape I'd been thinking of all along came out! :)

·
Registered
982 Posts
Very nice. I didn't have access to any kind of program, so I used my "modification tracing" technique. It involves finding a fantasy map similar to shape as one that I want to make and use it kind of like a guide so that I can get the shape right. The modification part of it is very important though. Otherwise, it is copying someone else's map, which I don't agree with.

Here are the results of it:

·
Registered
632 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
I love mapping stuff. I second the recommendation for the Cartographer's Guild. Those guys are amazing. This is the map for my WIP False Gods. Made on Photoshop with the help of Cartographer's Guild tutorials.

·
Registered
982 Posts
kCopeseeley said:
My version of my map is too fugly to post. Thankfully, I got myself a wonderful artist and you can see the final result for yourself right here:
http://katecopeseeley.blogspot.com/2011/04/wicked-wednesday-word-count-another.html

My only sadness is she just got picked up full time by Bioware, so my chances of her making the map for my prequel series are probably nil. :(
It's pretty good. Hopefully, I'll get mine redone professionally at a later point. My artist friend that did my cover (minus the coloration and the text) said that maps were out of her range of abilities.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice, Kate! That's a style well-represented at CG, too. I've got a tutorial somewhere on my computer now from there on how to do maps like that. You've got a nice cartographer there. I should say a number of folks on CG take commissions.

C.R., well done! I recognize a few techniques ("I see what you did there" :) ). Which came first, the map or the story? Did you just generate some difference clouds until you came close, or did you have a sketch already made?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts