Kindle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is so cool! There's only 3 so far. I imagine there's more on the way.

$1.59 each

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Betsy the Quilter said:
Have you downloaded a sample? Wait, I can do that...

Betsy
I didn't even think to do that since I don't need Washington or California at the moment.
Thanks, Betsy, you always push me to go one step further. ;D

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
The idea is sort of intriguing, and at the price, I figured, "what the heck?"  I'm going to be in San Diego for five weeks, and Eleanor the Kindle will ALWAYs be with me, so I bought the SoCal version.  Will check it out and review it later.

Betsy

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
kreelanwarrior said:
Hmmm, does the Kindle actually have GPS, though? I thought it just approximated its location based on the proximity to cell towers when connected to Whispernet...?
Oh darn. I forgot the smiley thingy again.

Yes, Mike. I was jerking your chain. That's my way of saying hello, nice to see you.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Jeff said:
Oh darn. I forgot the smiley thingy again.

Yes, Mike. I was jerking your chain. That's my way of saying hello, nice to see you.
LOL! But I was serious - gadget-mania! :D

Actually, I think the Kindle *does* have a rudimentary locational ability, at least with Googlemaps. I couldn't get mine to work, but I think it's in Leslie's Kindle FAQ. Dang, now I'm gonna have to go look that up, 'cause it would be just totally too cool if it would integrate with the atlases. That's probably too much to hope for, though, until Kindle v5.0. ;)

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
kreelanwarrior said:
Now you've gone and done it - I'm gonna have to find it... :D
It was Leslie:

Leslie said:
Here are the GPS shortcuts:

It seems there is a location capability (GPS?) in the CDMA module. The following shortcuts are programmed inside the browser.

Alt-1 show current location in google maps (cellphone tower receiving the call).
Alt-2 find gas station nearby
Alt-3 find restaurants nearby
Alt-4
Alt-5 find custom keyword nearby
Alt-D dump debug info to the log and toggle highlight default item
Alt-Z toggle zone drawing and show log

Like I said, I haven't really played with this so I am not an expert at all. Just posting the info.

L

·
Registered
325 Posts
I just downloaded the sample, then the map. I figured for $1.59, I couldn't really go wrong.

The maps will probably be OK for highway driving, and general directions, but they don't seem to go down to a detailed street level on some of the rural areas. Useful as a reference, I guess.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts