Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to get this thread started. A little prayer I found that I find encouraging:

Teach me
To see the world in a different light,
The light of your love.

Help me
To learn to cherish each new day
And all the opportunities that it brings.

Give me
The strength to handle life's problems,
Knowing that you are beside me.

Let me
Be comfortable in the knowledge
That since you have come into my life
I will never walk alone.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Thanks Suzi - I love it!

I used to have to remind God sometimes that He gave me more than I could handle and He would have to take some away.  Somehow He always listened to me and things seemed to work out, not my way but easier for me to accept His way.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Reading yesterday and today's - I was struck by how many Isralites there were!  Thought originally may 5 - 10, 20 thousand at the most!  Over 600,000 soldiers? That's not counting the youngsters and wives and slaves!  Whew!  That's more than many good size cities!  How on earth did the land support all those people.  No wonder there had to be such detail in Leviticus to deal with the mass of humanity.

I am getting so much out of this OYB!

blessings to y'all for sharing with me

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have been doing the One Year Bible since I got my Kindle.  My church encourages a method called SOAP (Scripture, Observation, Application, Prayer) for daily reading...but it comes with it's own reading plan.  I've been using this approach for the One Year Bible, and it has been working out well.  I highlight a section of Scripture that I want to comment on, then make a note using the rest of the letters.  It all stays in the Kindle, so I don't have to remember to bring my printed Bible...I make the notes right on the Kindle!

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Anju said:
Reading yesterday and today's - I was struck by how many Isralites there were! Thought originally may 5 - 10, 20 thousand at the most! Over 600,000 soldiers?
Over 600,000 soldiers - that would have been a HUGE army for that time. Most big cities max'ed out somewhere around a few thousand citizens. Can you imagine feeding that many before God started providing?

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
khamilton611 said:
I have been doing the One Year Bible since I got my Kindle. My church encourages a method called SOAP (Scripture, Observation, Application, Prayer) for daily reading...but it comes with it's own reading plan. I've been using this approach for the One Year Bible, and it has been working out well. I highlight a section of Scripture that I want to comment on, then make a note using the rest of the letters. It all stays in the Kindle, so I don't have to remember to bring my printed Bible...I make the notes right on the Kindle!
That sounds interesting! Welcome if you haven't posted here before.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
khamilton611 said:
I have been doing the One Year Bible since I got my Kindle. My church encourages a method called SOAP (Scripture, Observation, Application, Prayer) for daily reading...but it comes with it's own reading plan. I've been using this approach for the One Year Bible, and it has been working out well. I highlight a section of Scripture that I want to comment on, then make a note using the rest of the letters. It all stays in the Kindle, so I don't have to remember to bring my printed Bible...I make the notes right on the Kindle!
I haven't tried note taking with my Kindle yet... just reading! Welcome khamilton!!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
khamilton611 said:
Welcome! I had never heard of that SOAP method of reading before, but it sounds a good one. Do you put a note every day in your Kindle on your daily reading? That sounds like an excellent way to study the Bible.

Anju said:
Reading yesterday and today's - I was struck by how many Isralites there were! Thought originally may 5 - 10, 20 thousand at the most! Over 600,000 soldiers? That's not counting the youngsters and wives and slaves! Whew! That's more than many good size cities! How on earth did the land support all those people. No wonder there had to be such detail in Leviticus to deal with the mass of humanity.

I am getting so much out of this OYB!

blessings to y'all for sharing with me
That is simply amazing how many people there were. And what an act of faith to go on that journey. But what a provision by God, giving the daily manna and water.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Suzanne said:
Welcome! I had never heard of that SOAP method of reading before, but it sounds a good one. Do you put a note every day in your Kindle on your daily reading? That sounds like an excellent way to study the Bible.
Yes, I put my notes right into the Kindle. I highlight the passage that I want to comment on, and then write the note.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
sailorman said:
Does everybody know this thread was started in March? I just figured it out. I knew we discussed it, but then I just kinda forgot. I just thought there had not been any activity on the OYB thread. Is there a way to let everyone know we are still here? Don't want anyone Left Behind, so to speak. ;)

So how is everyone doing with Numbers? It's a little hard for me. I'm definitely not a census taker. I'll be glad when we finish the Pentateuch and move to Joshua. We'll get there soon though.
I don't know if everyone knows where we are or not. I will search for the old thread and post a we have moved and tell everyone to look under under book klubs.

I am having a tough time with Numbers also, more so than Leviticus. All those tribe leader names and the *numbers*. I've been short on time this week and haven't had the benefit of the OYB blog. Plan to catch up this weekend, I seem to find more insight into the daily reading when I do them together.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Does everyone know that you can access the OYB blog through the Kindle?  I have it set up on Google Reader, and then when I want to read that day's blog post, I go to:

m.google.com/reader

This is for mobile devices, and displays the blog post much better than if you were to go into the blog post on the Kindle through the OYB blog website.  That way, I can quick read the blog post, and then read the passages on the Kindle.

Someone may have posted about using a service like Google Reader already...I don't remember where I saw info on it on Kindleboards, but it really does help.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Thank you....good to be home.  I missed all your comments the past few weeks.  I may not post a lot here but I am keeping up with my daily reads and am learning a lot from all of you. 

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good to see you again, Cowgirl! I was wondering where everyone had been, but with the subject matter (Leviticus & Numbers), I wasn't terribly shocked about how few posts they were getting.

What I do when I come on to the main page of KB is I just scroll down and when I see the Book Klub for OYB, if the ink is dark, it means there is a post there that I haven't read yet. If the ink is light, there are no new posts.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Phew...Leviticus was hard but I'm hanging in there and am committed  to keeping up with my daily readings.  But I need this thread to keep me on task.....oh and the blog is also a big help. 

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I'm agreeing with the rest of you.... we were warned about Leviticus being hard to get through but I enjoyed it much more than I am Numbers.  But, I'm staying on task.... today's was VERY repetitive!!
    I didn't have a chance to mention the other day.... but when we had the camp layout where each of the tribes was to pitch their tents.... did anyone else notice that they were pretty much grouped based on who their mothers were (ie: Leah's sons, Rachel's sons/grandsons etc)??
    Cowgirl.... great to have you back with us!!  We have been blessed and our group is growing!!

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
PraiseGod13 said:
did anyone else notice that they were pretty much grouped based on who their mothers were (ie: Leah's sons, Rachel's sons/grandsons etc)??
I am certainly not an authority on the Jewish religion but...I have several Jewish friends and they tell me if the Mother is Jewish the children are Jewish even if the father isn't. Jewish Mothers want their sons to marry Jewish girls so their children will be considered Jewish. Jewish grils don't necessarily have to marry Jewish men for their children to be considered Jewish. This may explain the importance of the children grouped by their mothers.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts