Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here's to one more attempt with my Marigot Magic storyline. To recap, it was my NaNoWriMo project from 2012; about to give it a shot on Widbook soon. Middle-grade adventure with anthropomorphic animal characters à la Disney; projected 50,000-70,000 word count. I've spent the past eight days tinkering with it, to the point where this resulted. Compared to my past attempts, and thanks to a few Google+ users, this one makes a little bit more sense. How well did I do this time?

(After Karen S. Wiesner's tips in From First Draft to Finished Novel, 2008.)

At the onset of his family's reunion, a boy raccoon in Dominica journeys to Madagascar to retrieve a rarely screened 1931 film shot in his homeland. By finding the only complete colour print in existence, he wants to offer his doubting relatives proof that their ancestors did appear in it; the black-and-white version carried no credits. But as he soon learns, the footage owner won't let go of it, and the colour copy is resting inside a mansion that no one is allowed to enter for 70 years.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dennis Chekalov said:
Can you please specifisy what is it?
A blurb? A book pitch? A book concept?
It's the "High-Concept Blurb", as Wiesner refers to it.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dennis Chekalov said:
Let's start from the start.

1. Who is MC? "Boy raccoon"? It says nothing.
2. Who are bad guys? You need them if you want something à la Disney.
3. Who are MC's friends? You need them too.
4. What's the story? Treasure hunting à la Ind Jones? Or the Creepy Old House? You probably can't have both.
1) He's obsessed with finding that film after months of hearsay from his friend has convinced him.
2) The "footage owner", whom I've called Mighty Mac.
3) An aspiring writer mouse, a lovey-dovey ring-tailed cat, a multilingual Muslim squirrel, and an agricultural otter.
4) Treasure hunting. As for the pristine mansion part, see these stories from The Meta Picture (January 2013) and The Guardian (October 2014). What I mean is, they have to get the film inside that mansion-without the bad guy noticing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
) He's obsessed with finding that film after months of hearsay from his friend has convinced him.
2) The "footage owner", whom I've called Mighty Mac.
3) An aspiring writer mouse, a lovey-dovey ring-tailed cat, a multilingual Muslim squirrel, and an agricultural otter.
4) Treasure hunting. As for the pristine mansion part, see these stories from The Meta Picture (January 2013) and The Guardian (October 2014). What I mean is, they have to get the film inside that mansion--without the bad guy noticing.
I think I would probably rewrite including all the details you've included above, which makes it sound like a great story. You just need to put in 'why' they have to get the film inside the mansion. That's your story.

G

·
I'm concerned about the title Marigot Magic. There's a famous Australian picture book called Possum Magic. Your title immediately made me think of that book. I know your story is completely different to Possum Magic, but the fact that it contains animals similar to possums, and that you use magic as the second word in the title makes me a little concerned. I might be overthinking things but I just thought I'd mention it.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I think you need to be able to identify the protagonist's goals, motivations, and conflict more succinctly and work from there. I'm seeing details but not a clear picture of the story.

Something like:

When a racoon from Dominica travels to Madagascar, he wants to find a movie because his family doesn't believe it's real but the film's owner, Mighty Mac, won't give it to him, so the racoon has to find another way.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kitten said:
I'm concerned about the title Marigot Magic. There's a famous Australian picture book called Possum Magic. Your title immediately made me think of that book. I know your story is completely different to Possum Magic, but the fact that it contains animals similar to possums, and that you use magic as the second word in the title makes me a little concerned. I might be overthinking things but I just thought I'd mention it.
Never heard of that one. I assume you've read it once, right?

In case we run into lawyers, I'll go ahead with a new title: Unspooled.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts