Kindle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question: Why the heck are the Project Gutenberg Kindle versions of all the Mark Twain books at Amazon broken up into several parts? At Project Gutenberg, you can get them intact, as one book for each story. At Amazon, they have stuff broken up into separate "books" with each "book" containing a few chapters.

How awkward! For example, if I want to read The Prince and the Pauper from Amazon's collection, I need to have several books on my Kindle just to cover that one title!

Anyone have any idea why this happened, and how Amazon can get away with counting each chapter or "part" of a single book as separate books in their count of Kindle titles?

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
NC--

This is a very good question, and I've split it out from the Free Book post because I think it'll generate a lot of good discussion.  (I can see why you posted there!)

Anyone else had experience with these books?  I haven't tried them...

Betsy

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Me, either.....I am wondering if we can merge them all into one book using a program like Calibre or mobipocket?  But I dunno, I think that it is more work than it is worth....I don't have a lot of experience with either program but I do use Calibre to covert .pdf for my Kindle 1.

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Nix, this really doesn't sound satisfactory.  Have you contacted Amazon CS to ask about this?  They should be advised if a book isn't satisfactory.

Betsy

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have recently gotten Tom Sawyer from feedbooks.com.  I have only read a few pages, but so far so good.  I haven't tried the Amazon versions of public domain books.

Maxx

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I have gotten all of mine from feedbooks.com myself and stayed away from Amazon for this very reason.  My K1 pages are cluttered enough as it is.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are hundreds of pages of free ones at Amazon, but the number of books could be pared down if things like this, and Dante's Divine Comedy, and a few others weren't broken up by "parts" or "chapters" into separate book listings.

On the other hand, they also have some great Project Gutenberg titles that are intact. Bram Stoker's books are complete, so I got those. Mary Shelley's Frankenstein is complete. Oscar Wilde's stories are each an individual volume as they should be. Wherever the Amazon version is complete, I'm getting that instead of the feedbooks.com version, simply because the Amazon versions will be sent wireless and work well with Whispersync... But I refuse to read Tom Sawyer as four or five separate volumes, so I'm giving up the Amazon features and getting the complete versions from other sources.

Whether it be Amazon or feedbooks.com, all of these are free, of course, so there's no damage to the buyer in terms of cost. What really concerns me is that Amazon is currently listing 261,000 (or more) Kindle-formatted books available, but of these 261,000 there are a large number of them which are counted as "a book" when they're actually just a few chapters of a book, and the remaining chapters take up another few books themselves.

This doesn't just occur with Twain, Dante, and Cervantes, but with a large number of books. Some, I understand, are journals or collections and can be split up a bit, but when you have things like Punchinello, Volume 1, No. 23, September 3, 1870 and The American Missionary, Volume 49, No. 4, April, 1895 as well as all the other volumes, numbers, and dates for each of these publications taking up space on Amazon as a "book" that's available for Kindle, it falsely inflates the number of Kindle books Amazon talks about having. It creates the illusion that they have 261,000 unique titles, when actually, they have several unique titles, but a whole heck of a lot of titles that are broken up into several-- sometimes dozens-- of volumes/parts/chapters.

So how many actual, unique books are there on Amazon for the Kindle? And why did they separate them like this? I listed every book on Amazon today, sorting by "Price: Low to High" and spent several hours hitting "next" only to stay within the free titles and see the same names come up over and over, but in several "parts". I can't help but think I might have gotten through all the free titles if they were managed a little more efficiently.

Why is Amazon's system such a mess, when feedbooks.com has such an elegant system?

I'm not ready to cry to Amazon about this; After all, these are free books. I do think it is slightly dishonest, however, to claim "over 261,000 titles" when it's really, honestly, a lot less than that thanks to their weird tendency to split classics into multiple parts.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Nix Cadavre said:
I'm not ready to cry to Amazon about this; After all, these are free books. I do think it is slightly dishonest, however, to claim "over 261,000 titles" when it's really, honestly, a lot less than that thanks to their weird tendency to split classics into multiple parts.
Are they counting each one as a separate book or do they count unique titles? I've never really been clear on this. I have been getting some of the free public domain books from Amazon just for the ease of getting them on my Kindle. But, if they are not formated properly or are broken up into several "books", I go to Feedbooks and pick them up.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Nix Cadavre said:
There are hundreds of pages of free ones at Amazon, but the number of books could be pared down if things like this, and Dante's Divine Comedy, and a few others weren't broken up by "parts" or "chapters" into separate book listings.

On the other hand, they also have some great Project Gutenberg titles that are intact. Bram Stoker's books are complete, so I got those. Mary Shelley's Frankenstein is complete. Oscar Wilde's stories are each an individual volume as they should be. Wherever the Amazon version is complete, I'm getting that instead of the feedbooks.com version, simply because the Amazon versions will be sent wireless and work well with Whispersync... But I refuse to read Tom Sawyer as four or five separate volumes, so I'm giving up the Amazon features and getting the complete versions from other sources.

Whether it be Amazon or feedbooks.com, all of these are free, of course, so there's no damage to the buyer in terms of cost. What really concerns me is that Amazon is currently listing 261,000 (or more) Kindle-formatted books available, but of these 261,000 there are a large number of them which are counted as "a book" when they're actually just a few chapters of a book, and the remaining chapters take up another few books themselves.

This doesn't just occur with Twain, Dante, and Cervantes, but with a large number of books. Some, I understand, are journals or collections and can be split up a bit, but when you have things like Punchinello, Volume 1, No. 23, September 3, 1870 and The American Missionary, Volume 49, No. 4, April, 1895 as well as all the other volumes, numbers, and dates for each of these publications taking up space on Amazon as a "book" that's available for Kindle, it falsely inflates the number of Kindle books Amazon talks about having. It creates the illusion that they have 261,000 unique titles, when actually, they have several unique titles, but a whole heck of a lot of titles that are broken up into several-- sometimes dozens-- of volumes/parts/chapters.

So how many actual, unique books are there on Amazon for the Kindle? And why did they separate them like this? I listed every book on Amazon today, sorting by "Price: Low to High" and spent several hours hitting "next" only to stay within the free titles and see the same names come up over and over, but in several "parts". I can't help but think I might have gotten through all the free titles if they were managed a little more efficiently.

Why is Amazon's system such a mess, when feedbooks.com has such an elegant system?

How is the formatting on the Amazon books that you have gotten?

Maxx

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll let you know in a few days. My Kindle is currently en route!

I only noticed all this because I was getting a bunch of free stuff from Amazon before the Kindle arrives! I have to do SOMETHING to make the wait a little easier!  :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.