Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to introduce myself to everyone. My name is Dave A Vance (just call me Dave) and I'm the author of two upcoming print books titled "5900+ Cocktail Recipes" and "Martini Madness: 380 recipes to tempt your taste buds". I'm in the process of reviewing both proof copies and they should be released within the next couple of weeks.

In the meantime, I have released the second book as a Kindle book. Martini Madness: 380 recipes to tempt yout taste buds is now available on Amazon in the Kindle Store. The description hasn't appeared yet, but I have included it below along with the front and back covers.

Martini Madness
380 recipes to tempt your taste buds
by Dave A Vance

The martini, once thought of as an old drink with gin, vermouth and olives has come a long way. Martinis now are made in any number of flavors with an ever increasing list of ingredients. If the classic martini doesn't interest you, try a fruit flavored martini, such as watermelon, apple, orange, banana or kiwi. If you're looking for a completely unique martini flavor, try a chocolate mint or double fudge martini. These are only examples of some of the martini flavors you will find in Martini Madness: 380 recipes to tempt your taste buds.

The martini is no longer a drink ordered by a select few bar patrons. Martinis are hot sellers and make up a large portion of bar sales each year. Martini drinkers are abundant enough where bars and clubs are designing specialty martinis exclusive to their establishment.

The only perfect martini is the martini that suits your palate.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Hi Dave, welcome! Glad to have you here. We love having authors join us at Kindleboards. Congratulations on both your books!

L

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Dave A Vance said:
Hi Leslie, thank you. I'm looking forward to talking with all of you and keeping up with everything. I'm glad I ran across this place... found a link in another post on Amazon. All I have to say is "Wow... a ton of information here".
Dave, are you a Kindle owner as well as a Kindle book author, or just author?

L

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Dave A Vance said:
So far just a Kindle author, although I'm thinking about buying one. The more I read the reviews on them and the number of books becoming available, it's looking like a good idea.
Hang around with this crowd for about 20 minutes and you'll realize it's a very good idea! LOL.

Another author, Rick Reed, joined us right before Christmas. Like you, several of his books were in Kindle versions. Then, as a total unexpected surprise, he received a Kindle for Christmas and within 12 hours was in love! He posted a great commentary about his instant love affair. It's on this board. I'll find it and bump it for you.

L

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I almost didn't publish the book for Kindle until I kept doing more research on it, then I realized it would be a good idea.  Plus I like how their DRM seems fairly secure.

You wouldn't believe what I've been through all night.  While I'm waiting for my first print book to become available, I decided to release a PDF file with only 136 recipes (not the full 5,900+) free.  I duplicated the print book format, left my title page, copyright page, etc intact and also provided links within the PDF file to my website for information on ordering the print version when it becomes available.  I released the PDF about six days ago.

When doing a search on Google last night, before going to bed, I found an eBay listing in the UK with someone selling my free PDF for 10 pounds.  I immediately contacted the seller to find out more information (what does the cover look like, who is the author, etc).  He confirmed the information and my suspicions were correct.  It was my free PDF he was trying to sell.  He also tried to pass off the PDF file as containing all 5,900 recipes, which isn't true.  After attempts to get him to remove the listing failed, I had to go through eBay's process of printing documents, filling them out and faxing them over.  I faxed my email conversations with him as well since he mentioned the author's name, etc.

I couldn't believe it... someone was actually trying to sell my promotional PDF that I was distributing for FREE.

LOL.  I need some sleep... I was at that for hours.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I'm the author of two upcoming print books titled "5900+ Cocktail Recipes" and "Martini Madness: 380 recipes to tempt your taste buds".
omg. I think I'm in love. We'd like to welcome you to the Dead Until Dark book klub! Also, is 5900 martinis a suggestion? Or a challenge?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Robin, oh no, it's not 5,900 martini recipes... lol.  That book right now will only be in paperback and it's cocktail, martini and shot recipes.  The martini book has 380 recipes.

If there's interest, I'll work on getting 5900+ Cocktail Recipes into Kindle format.  In paperback, printed in two columns, the book came out to nearly 800 pages.  One good thing about creating a Kindle version of that book would be the ability to easily use the search feature.  Hmmm... it would be a big undertaking, but if people show interest, I'll start working on it.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Robin, oh no, it's not 5,900 martini recipes
damn.

It's just as well. I don't have time to join AA anyway, unless I get chased off DUD with a stick.

·
Registered
433 Posts
We love the martini, so I just bought your book. I see lots of recipes I want to try. First is the Lemon Meringue Martini.

Thank you for formatting the table of contents so that it links to the recipes.

Oh, hey. Do you know if when a recipe calls for Maraschino Liqueur you can use the liquid off the jar of maraschino cherries? I haven't been able to locate the Liqueur.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
durphy said:
We love the martini, so I just bought your book. I see lots of recipes I want to try. First is the Lemon Meringue Martini.

Thank you for formatting the table of contents so that it links to the recipes.

Oh, hey. Do you know if when a recipe calls for Maraschino Liqueur you can use the liquid off the jar of maraschino cherries? I haven't been able to locate the Liqueur.
Thank you for purchasing the book. Keep me updated on your favorite recipes after you try them. I like to know what everyone thinks of various flavors. If you like chocolate, definitely try some of the various chocolate flavored ones. The Wedding Cake is excellent.

Luxardo is one of the most common brands of Maraschino Liqueur. Maraschino Liqueur is nothing like maraschino cherry juice. Maraschino cherry juice is much sweeter. Maraschino Liqueur is made from crushed Maraschino Cherries, the seeds, and cane sugar. It is processed and aged similar to a brandy and produces a clear, dry liqueur. Here is a link to more information about Maraschino Liqueur on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maraschino

Here's a link to Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur on BevMo:
http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDetail.aspx?productid=5072

Please feel free to contact me if you have any additional questions or feedback. Should you not be able to get in contact with me on here, my email address is available on the copyright page of the book.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Linda Cannon-Mott said:
Welcome Dave! Your book on the Kindle will definitely be a hit. ;) I see Betsy has already invited you to our author led book klub.

Linda
Linda, thank you. :) I'm not sure that would be a good idea if I led a reading of the book. I think we'd have to do one or pages per day, otherwise we'd all be too plastered to read or write. ;D Once my schedule settles down a bit, I could see doing a martini suggestion for each suggested reading section of other books... to help accompany the reading of the other books. Nothing like sitting down with your book and a good drink.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I think we'd have to do one or pages per day, otherwise we'd all be too plastered to read or write.
So, to be perfectly clear, you're under the impression that we aren't that way anyway? I mean, high functioning drunks? Really? Clearly, you have not been reading the book klub threads. Also, that's a very bold assertion for someone with giant rabbit ears to make.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts