Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This really isn't a Kindle issue, but I noticed it today while looking at Kindle books on Amazon and it is bugging me that I don't have anyone to tell about it. Two different books by two different authors have the same couple on the covers.
Samson's Lovely Mortal by Tina Folsom and Eye of the Beholder by Emma Jay.
I wonder if this happens often and I wonder if the authors/publishers know and do they care?
Oh well, just a thought.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Basically you are looking at a stock photo. If you go to a website that sells the stock photos, you can license for cheap ($10-15) or you can buy outright for really expensive ($300+).

Most people just license. That's why you'll see the same couples on a lot of covers over and over again, because it's a great shot and everyone wants to use it. :)

·
Registered
876 Posts
jillmyles said:
Basically you are looking at a stock photo. If you go to a website that sells the stock photos, you can license for cheap ($10-15) or you can buy outright for really expensive ($300+).

Most people just license. That's why you'll see the same couples on a lot of covers over and over again, because it's a great shot and everyone wants to use it. :)
The problem with buying the exclusive license is there have usually been sales before you find the image. ;D

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
It happens with CD covers, too. The image on the cover for Bob Dylan's "Modern Times"--Ted Croner's 1947 photograph "Taxi, New York at Night"--was previously used on a 1995 album by the band Luna.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know after my book came out I had a friend point out another writer we know who had used the same cover art for one of her books that she'd gotten the rights back for and was putting it out on ebook. She's a much better known author than I am, (since she's published ten times as many books) but isn't pushing her backlist, so I'm just not going to worry about it. I does make me think about how to make future book covers more original, though.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm actually surprised it doesn't happen more!

I've seen the model on my Ordinary Angels book on another cover before, but never the same pose. I'm glad, actually, because it's a pretty distinctive photo. My publisher didn't do a lot to tweak the image to make it unique. (Just added some background texture, I think.)

I did the cover for Blood Faerie myself, and I'd bet even the photographer would do a double-take if he saw  my version. I changed her hair colour, eye colour, added all the shadows, removed her make-up (she had sparkly eye shadow and bright pink lipstick) and even skewed a few things. So, even if someone did have the same picture, it wouldn't be too same-same-same.

For my third book, I have a completely custom illustration, and I have to admit I'm excited about that. It feels good to know it'll be mine-all-mine.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Being in the entertainment industry, I look at these and think of my poor friends who have done stock photo modeling and it's just crazy how their faces can appear everywhere and they don't see a dime for it. That last model on four different books though is pretty crazy!!!

But as everyone said, it happens to big names outside of self-publishing.

Even Stephanie Meyer's not immune!!!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I feel really sorry for authors who find a fantastic image, only to discover that someone else decided to use it.
Who can afford to buy the rights to an image? - it's big money.
To get round this I'm getting my son (who does happen to have a great talent for art) to paint a picture to adapt for my next book cover - he started drawing some concept ideas today and it's exciting and nerve-wracking, in equal amounts.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.