Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a source for matte finish skins?  I love my woodgrain one, but find the glossiness enhances glare.  I can certainly live with it, but would seriously entertain the notion of swapping it out.

·
Registered
194 Posts
i agree the glossiness of the skins does cause a glare issue.  i found it too distracting so i removed the top skin and find it easier to read now.  i emailed decalgirl about the possibility of offering matte versions for the kindle skins.

kz

·
Registered
556 Posts
Yup. This has occurred to me as well.  I don't find the pattern on my skin distracting (as I feared I might), but I DO find the glare distracting.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
It's worst with a book light, but it's noticeable on some skins with any light source.  I had hardly any issue with DG's Garden at Giverny, but Waterlilies has some expanses of solid color that seem to catch more glare.  Probably an optical illusion, but it's enough to be annoying at times.  I've yet to find glare I can't get rid of by changing the angle of the K2, but it's definitely an issue if you're sensitive to glare.

I had thought about spraying the skin with a matte finish spray prior to putting it on the K2, and then got so excited when it arrived that I completely forgot.  ::)  Not sure if it would help, or even if it would stick to the skin, but I figured it might be worth a try!

·
Registered
9,176 Posts
When I first applied my skin the glare bothered me with almost anything but natural light; but I agree with VictoriaP, I was able to get rid of it by changing the angle.  I don't notice it anymore at all  - my eyes may have been more drawn to the glare initially because I kept looking at the custom skin, but it all just disappears as I start to read now.  I would like to have a choice of a more matte finish though.

·
Registered
122 Posts
It's not much help if you've already applied your skin, since the masking job would be a nightmare, but if you can do it before you take the skin off the original backing, any of the acrylic matte coatings, like Krylon or Blair, should work for dulling the skin before you apply it to your Kindle.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought of a clear acrylic matte spray, after I applied the skin and started reading with it under a book light. 

It's really not a big deal.  I just wondered if anyone had seen any matte skins.  Maybe someday I'll swap mine out, but I like the way the GeekBook™ looks just fine for now.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I found it only distracting or reflective at certain angle so I try to change the angle. Would removing the top skin not make it dull and lessen the protection?

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I do not really have a problem with glare but I can see how you might. I do not think the adhesive material they use is available in any other finish though. Just by it's very nature.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts