Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting a website for readers and writers of indie books with paranormal themes. Can you tell me if you can read this font OK, or did I get too fancy-schmancy? The Paranormal came out OK. I'm worried about the word Indies...if I hadn't told you, can you tell it reads "Indies" ? Thanks for your opinions. I appreciate it. :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
I agree with WFMeyer. The font is cool and I do like it in white. But the background white color that runs into the middle of the word Indies does make it blend a little too much. I think the font is cool and also like the colors in the background, but I would try to have that white highlight taken out or changed to another color. But all in all it's a nice cover and I think with some minor changes it would work very well. Either way, good job, and I wish you tons of success with the book. Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I'm not in love with the font, but I tend to like my fonts clean and the kind that you don't look at and see a "font." (If that makes sense.)

I think of it like makeup. You shouldn't look at someone and think gee, she's got pretty makeup on. The makeup shouldn't be noticed.

Vicki

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
JeanneM said:
I'm starting a website for readers and writers of indie books with paranormal themes. Can you tell me if you can read this font OK, or did I get too fancy-schmancy? The Paranormal came out OK. I'm worried about the word Indies...if I hadn't told you, can you tell it reads "Indies" ? Thanks for your opinions. I appreciate it. :)

The font is scripty but fairly legible.

Paranormal reads okay. But Indies is too close to that white area/lens flare thingie. (Sorry if that sounded too technical, I'm such a tech geek, LOL)

Seems a bit closer to the left than the right.

The smaller line doesn't work as well scripty... you might want to go with a cleaner font.

Just impressions. Very colorful and eye-catchy. (Again, sorry if I'm speaking too tech-savvy here... I belong on Big Bang Theory, I guess, LOL)

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I'm not familiar with Corel PSP (though it sounds very cool, like an illegal drug or something!). I use Pixlr and Photoshop. But your image looks great - just make the text more impacting and I believe you're on to a winner, Jeanne!

Once you get it up and running, let me know - I think The One-Eyed Guru might fit there.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Victorine said:
I'm not in love with the font, but I tend to like my fonts clean and the kind that you don't look at and see a "font." (If that makes sense.)
I agree with this, but certain genres tend to identify themselves with traditions in font styles - paranormal certainly being one of them. The Harry Potter font is far from clean, but clues you in immediately to the genre.

Also, if this will be a website rather than a book cover, it's a standard font that will lead the way to the site.

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
Maybe a different color would make the font stand out more against the background?

Disclaimer: I suck as an artist.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I wonder if it might work better/look cleaner if Paranormal stays in that font, but "indies" is in a clearer, crisper font. It would tend to emphasize that "paranormal" is, well, other than normal, maybe? Just an idea. ;)

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All great feedback.  Thank you so much. 

Vicki, I think you are right and I may try to go to a cleaner font.  I just got so excited as I just learned how to download a font and put it in my Corel...LOL

And yes, I'll be hitting up a lot of my paranormal indie writer friends when I get ready to roll.  That is what the site will be for...us.  :)  (And if I monetize it and it makes some passive income...well then..."sigh"  I'll just have to bear up under it somehow.)

Andrew, Corel Paint Shop Pro does pretty much what Photoshop does but is about a third of the price. At least I think it does what Photoshop does.  I won't know until I learn my way around it.  It was a gift so I'm thrilled to have it, but so far it doesn't seem nearly as much fun as illegal drugs.  LOL

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Okay, maybe clean isn't what I meant. I understand the need to have a font that represents the paranormal.

How about Burton's Nightmare? I downloaded it from here: http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=402&page=2

I did take a bit of the tail off of the capital "P" here, because I liked it clipped better...here it is:

Vicki

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
JeanneM said:
To me, that's the kind of font that isn't intended to be used as all upper case. So the 'A Resource for Readers and Writers' looks better than 'PARANORMAL INDIES'.

Have you tried it with 'Paranormal Indies' in camel case?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Victorine said:
Okay, maybe clean isn't what I meant. I understand the need to have a font that represents the paranormal.

How about Burton's Nightmare? I downloaded it from here: http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=402&page=2

I did take a bit of the tail off of the capital "P" here, because I liked it clipped better...here it is:

Vicki
Thanks for the link!

As for PSP, I use that for all my covers. You can add an outline by clicking your typing tool, then on the menu that appears on the top, changing the "stroke width". Whatever you have as the top color on the "Materials" toolbar (I keep it tacked on the right hand side) will be the outline color. HTH!

Mel

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks SWolf and Horse_Girl.

SWolf...what is Camel Case?  Is it a font?

Horse_Girl...I really appreciate the mini-lesson!  Thanks so much.  I feel really dweeby, but what does HTH stand for?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts