Kindle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3,717 Posts
LilianaHart said:
1.) I've tried Select. I've never liked it and didn't think it worked that great when it started. Every second you spend in Select is a second you're not building your fan base at other outlets. It doesn't matter if Select is getting you money NOW. You need to think money in the LONG TERM. Because the now money eventually disappears, just like it does in Select. And when it does, you still don't have that fan base built up at other retailers and you're still poor.
I'd like to address this directly. Money earned through audience-building in Select is as legitimate as audience-building outside of Select. All Select achieves is increasing the number of eyeballs on a book, and if you have a decent book that people like, you can steal those eyeballs (um, and the rest of the individual, ideally). You have to have a plan for staying in touch with all of the extra (delicious) eyeballs you get with Select. Then they've turned from being Amazon's audience into your audience, and suddenly, it is an issue of long term money.

Amazon might only have 60% of the ebook market share these days, but I think that they have a much larger portion of the indie-produced market share, because their tools for visibility and audience building are better. But Select, as with all things, is a tool in a toolbox. Different people will find different tools work for them better than others. A carpenter needs her hammer every day, but a welder may not. That doesn't mean someone's stupid for sticking to her carpentering when the welder's off having fun with her butane torch.

· Registered
3,717 Posts
RobertJCrane said:
Yeah, I'm kind of scared to post an official December sales thread because I think half the board is ready to riot from low sales-related depression. And possibly subpar Vitamin D levels. But mostly low sales.
Go ahead and do it. IMO, it's really nice seeing the normal span of sales from folks at every career stage. Otherwise, you only get to hear about sales when somebody hits a milestone, so it seems like EVERYONE is selling 10k copies or 50k or 100k or what have you, when really, there's a much wider range of sales than that.

· Registered
3,717 Posts
Ada O'Flaherty said:
On that note, from the low end of the spectrum, I have 4 titles out, 1 of those within just the last day or two. All of them short story erotica. I have sold 11 so far this month -- and I'm kinda pleased with myself with that number! lol ... Of course, I'm hoping to grow sales throughout the month with some more released. But for where I am now, I'm feeling the happiness of potential. ;D
Congratulations! That's an awesome start. :) I wasn't selling 11/week for the first several months, lol. More like...four or five a week...maybe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.