I don't take any of these "ideas" as evidence that indie publishing is on the down slope. The market is in flux and so are the dynamics. If anything, indie is starting to mature.heavycat said:This is just this week. (Paraphrasing other threads here)
1. Select has run its course.
2. Twitter and Facebook are time sinks (as is all social media, presumably)
3. Paid advertising is a waste of money (Except Bookbub, but only if you're one of the few and anointed in advance)
4. Book review sites don't drive sales (So don't bother soliciting reviews)
5. POI and ENT are too clogged with submissions to care about your free book (see above)
So, for the author who is just starting out, there's no reliable way to market their book, no matter how hard they work. Every marketing option is followed up with a credible "don't bother" from someone on this board.
What am I missing?