Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Funny the way they're categorizing it (largest book distributor).

But I have to say that the fact that Chick-Fil-A gives books in their kids' meals is a strong reason why I go there instead of McDonald's.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Off-topic but:

The firm's Happy Meals, which use bright colours and playful characters to sell burgers, chips and chicken nuggets, have been banned in Chile and some U.S. states over claims they are damaging children's health.

When I was a kid (and I'm not that old) I didn't have nearly the money to gorge myself on MacDonalds. My $5 allowance wouldn't buy squat at MacDonalds. So if anyone's to blame for kids eating there often enough to get obese, it's the parents. There's my micro-rant for the day.

That's an interesting story though. I'll be curious to see what comes of it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Amanda Brice said:
Funny the way they're categorizing it (largest book distributor).
I guess it just boils down to how many hard copy books they potentially will give away... as oppossed to technically sell. It is rather a strangely titled article though.

There are more McDonalds in the U.K than book stores that's for sure though. I suspect that is true of most places though.

With their 'McCafe' there maybe something they may be considering branching into (books/ebooks.)

'Download ebooks at our McCafe!'

Imagine having McDonalds copyright on your ebook! Ha, that would be a sad day... unless of course they distiribute really fast and give a decent percentage... in which case, I'm in!

I've always felt that Hamburgler and Mayor McCheese erotica would sell well.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
StephenBrennan said:
So if anyone's to blame for kids eating there often enough to get obese, it's the parents. There's my micro-rant for the day.
I completely agree.

They want that toy, like real bad!

Tell 'em to eat a nice salad and draw a nice picture on a piece of paper for entertainment instead and they throw a right tantrum.

Don't ever let them go there until they are 18+ is my advice. 'Happy Meal' addiction is a gateway food.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Amanda Brice said:
:D I knew that, but stilll...ew...
Awww, you don't mean that... take a look at this handsome devil (and don't ask why I 'happen' to have hamburgler in my home)

·
Registered
678 Posts
Um... from now on I'll eat my Big Macs by soft candlelight, with Barry White playing in the background...

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
edmjill said:
Um... from now on I'll eat my Big Macs by soft candlelight, with Barry White playing in the background...
Barry 'hamburgler' White if you please.

What an image you present though! Food for thought. :D

·
Registered
258 Posts
I don't think McDonalds could ever do good in my eyes. For some reason I hate it above all other places, even though they are no worse than most fast-food what-nots

Matthew

·
Registered
121 Posts
Dan C. Rinnert said:
So, let me try to understand this . . .

To fight childhood obesity, instead of supposedly enticing kids with B-grade toys they will play with once or twice before breaking, they will entice them with books in the hopes the kids will stuff themselves and then plop down in a chair to read?

Seems to me a better way to fight childhood obesity would be to include Wii games in the Happy Meals. Games that would be active games that would get them moving. New game every week!

Surely that would boost Happy Meal sales and get kids exercising as they rush home to play their new game with some popular Disney or comic book characters or whatever. Heck, include a toy that interacts with the game. Win-win all the way around.

Maybe include interactive books that provide game codes too or something if you figure out the puzzle.

Or, maybe we could just stop blaming McDonald's for trying to sell stuff and instead expect parents to be parents and tell their kids "No." I don't recall my parents having a problem with that. LOL.
But Dan, that would require parents to take responsibility instead of blaming their kids' problems on other people.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Daniel P Robertson said:
But Dan, that would require parents to take responsibility instead of blaming their kids' problems on other people.
:eek: "People nothing! It's all the televisions fault! I swear sometimes I see my 5 year-old watching Dexter, and it's all I can do to stand there and pray for him!"

;D

·
Super Moderator
67,323 Posts
Well, as a parent, I haven't got a problem with happy meals.  Didn't when my kid was little either.  It wasn't an "always" food, just a "sometimes" food.  Duh!And now, you can get them with apple slices and milk to drink instead of fries and a coke. Honestly, it's no worse than serving fish stick and mac and cheese at home.  And the toys weren't bad -- good for a few days amusement, anyway. I certainly have no objection to them being books instead -- they'll still only be good for a few days amusement. ::)

Sidenote:  When we lived in the UK there was a sort of community center in our neighborhood that periodically would have flea markets and such.  By this time our son was well past 'happy meal toy' age.  And we'd long since gotten rid of the few that survived his 'play'.  Imagine my annoyance when we went to one of these flea markets and saw tables and tables of the toys that we'd gotten rid of as 'junk' for sale for around £5-£7 each. :eek:  If only we'd known!  And these weren't even ones still in the packaging -- those were going for more like £10!

Incidentally. . .as this feels like a topic that might be of interest to the general membership, I'm going to move the thread to NQK.  Hang on. :D

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I'm pretty sure McDonald's gave Little Golden Books out with Happy Meals when I was a kid and I absolutely loved it.  I would have much rather had those than a flimsy plastic toy.  Many of those books got quite a bit of mileage.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Scheherazade said:
I'm pretty sure McDonald's gave Little Golden Books out with Happy Meals when I was a kid and I absolutely loved it. I would have much rather had those than a flimsy plastic toy. Many of those books got quite a bit of mileage.
Little Golden Books were great, and they were sturdy enough that a good number of them survived even my childhood, and a few survived both mine and my son's. They turned out not to be hurricane proof, though, so the next generation, if any, will have to fend for themselves.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts