Kindle Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone knowing the situation between us would find this completely ironic.

A friend rang me today to say she has got a new Kindle and when looking at Amazon's suggestions for books to download, she saw one of mine pop up on a page with two other books either side of it - the other books were by Jeffrey Archer. Our books came up together on another page too.

As she says, that must mean mine are classed as being worth to buy, but the ironic thing is, Jeff and I have had a long running fallout over many years and we both have a mutual dislike of the other, so how strange to see both our books in bed together. Only time we'll be seen that close I can tell you. Still laughing now.

·
Registered
586 Posts
ascepticalmedium said:
Anyone knowing the situation between us would find this completely ironic.

A friend rang me today to say she has got a new Kindle and when looking at Amazon's suggestions for books to download, she saw one of mine pop up on a page with two other books either side of it - the other books were by Jeffrey Archer. Our books came up together on another page too.

As she says, that must mean mine are classed as being worth to buy, but the ironic thing is, Jeff and I have had a long running fallout over many years and we both have a mutual dislike of the other, so how strange to see both our books in bed together. Only time we'll be seen that close I can tell you. Still laughing now.
Jeff, as you call him, is not a very nice or honest man. I read one of his books a while back before he went to prison and thought it was a pile of doggy droppings. While he was supposedly serving his sentence he was directing a play and visiting my local tory MP for dinner parties. I have no time for such people. Can't help wondering whether it might be Mary doing the writing? Why does she stay married to him I'd like to know? Also, it seemed rather convenient that Monica Coglan died in a car crash before the his trial. I wouldn't want any book of mine anywhere near his burn offerings, sales or not.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reason it is so funny, is he was made a Lord for something he didn't do. It was alleged he raised money for the Kurds - later proved he didn't yet kept the title!!!

I had an organisation that did the work and John Major covered it up to pretend his friend did it all. We were largest organisation in country. He knows I can expose it all. I wasn't a writer at the time so it's a bit strange I end up a writer and my books put next to his of all people.

I've tried to expose the government cover up for many years now and old Jeff Archer knows it. I can't abide the nasty little man, but it's pretty ironic my books ended up next to his when he got credit for all the work I did. It would just be nice justice if my books got the sales and his didn't.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Its nice to get the extra attention even if it is along side that waste of space... :p

I lived down the road from where he was in prison and knew someone that worked there. He said that Sir Jeffery did what he wanted, when he wanted. I even saw him out in town in a coffeee shop.. Yeah, great sentence that was...

·
Registered
586 Posts
Abigail said:
Its nice to get the extra attention even if it is along side that waste of space... :p

I lived down the road from where he was in prison and knew someone that worked there. He said that Sir Jeffery did what he wanted, when he wanted. I even saw him out in town in a coffeee shop.. Yeah, great sentence that was...
I gather that even his claim to have a degree from Oxford was a lie. Apparently he never graduated.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are claims about his books too. A good book to read is written by Michael Crick and called, Jeffrey Archer, Stranger Than Fiction. Amazing what is claimed in that book. Having had my work and that of the country's covered up for him by a Prime Minister, nothing would surprise me about him apart from how he gets away with it all.

·
Registered
586 Posts
ascepticalmedium said:
There are claims about his books too. A good book to read is written by Michael Crick and called, Jeffrey Archer, Stranger Than Fiction. Amazing what is claimed in that book. Having had my work and that of the country's covered up for him by a Prime Minister, nothing would surprise me about him apart from how he gets away with it all.
I live in hope that one day Mary will write the book: My life with Jeffrey Archer..

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wouldn't touch it, Mary knows his lies, she has lied too and is as bad as him. I just wish I could see justice served with him and I'm sure I'm not alone with that. Mary is not the innocent she portrays - believe me.

·
Registered
586 Posts
ascepticalmedium said:
I wouldn't touch it, Mary knows his lies, she has lied too and is as bad as him. I just wish I could see justice served with him and I'm sure I'm not alone with that. Mary is not the innocent she portrays - believe me.
Oh I know.

·
Registered
613 Posts
While the post launching the thread seemed completely all right with me, I must say that I feel greatly distressed by all the ad-hominem attacks I see in the following posts. While I understand that you express opinons and feelings regarding him, they definitely don't feel in the same tone that I like in the  rest of the forum. Even if I'm no moderator, I must say that I would feel better if you continued this discussion privately rather than in the open.

Disclaimer : I don't have any knowledge about the facts/opinions presented by the people here, and have no other contact with Jaffrey Carver other than a bok in my TBR list ... I'd like to keep it that way if possible ?

·
Registered
586 Posts
TheSFReader said:
While the post launching the thread seemed completely all right with me, I must say that I feel greatly distressed by all the ad-hominem attacks I see in the following posts. While I understand that you express opinons and feelings regarding him, they definitely don't feel in the same tone that I like in the rest of the forum. Even if I'm no moderator, I must say that I would feel better if you continued this discussion privately rather than in the open.

Disclaimer : I don't have any knowledge about the facts/opinions presented by the people here, and have no other contact with Jaffrey Carver other than a bok in my TBR list ... I'd like to keep it that way if possible ?
May I ask you two questions Who is jaffrey Carver and why are you here on WRITERS CAFE as you are, by your own admission, not an author. I'm not suggesting that you have no right to read this forum, but there are several other forums not concerned merely with authors talking to one other. Are you suggesting that authors aren't allowed to discuss their peers, pardon the pun, on this one designated forum for authors? Please elucidate. I don't always agree with what people say on here, but it is the specific forum for Kindle authors, is it not? Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. Aside from that, several people on this particular thread have personal knowledge of the author being discussed; am I to take it that he is a personal friend or neighbour of yours, or that you have a vested interest in his well-being? I'll tell you what really sucks with me shall I? I always used to Think of Rupert Brooke and his poem The Old Vicarage, Grantchester it used to evoke a far different memory for me than it does today.
http://thereaderonline.co.uk/2009/04/27/featured-poem-the-old-vicarage-grantchester-by-rupert-brooke/
Now I can't help but think of Crooks and Coronets.

From the moderator:
Just to clarify things for any future readers of this post...and since you asked, Greenpen... ;)
All members of KindleBoards, authors or not, are permitted and encouraged to post in the Writers' Cafe and every other board here, as long as what is posted is on topic and follows Forum Decorum. We have no boards that are off limits to any member. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Thanks,

Betsy/KB Moderator

·
Registered
613 Posts
greenpen said:
May I ask you two questions Who is jaffrey Carver
For all I know an author.
greenpen said:
and why are you here on WRITERS CAFE as you are, by your own admission, not an author.
Because I'm interested in ebooks and self-publishing, the new potential for otherwise unknown authors to publish, sell, and sometimes make a living from their passion whereas earlier it was only for a select few... and for readers to get more books that pass "their own" gatekeeping for their own consumption.

greenpen said:
I'm not suggesting that you have no right to read this forum, but there are several other forums not concerned merely with authors talking to one other. Are you suggesting that authors aren't allowed to discuss their peers, pardon the pun, on this one designated forum for authors?
Of course authors are allowed to discuss their peers (and I don't get the pun, could you please elaborate ?), but for me the expressions used in the preceding posts were beyond "discussion", and were much more insults than polite discussion, hence my reaction.

greenpen said:
Please elucidate. I don't always agree with what people say on here, but it is the specific forum for Kindle authors, is it not? Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
Not at all. I thought it a given (and had no otherwise contradictory example) that the KB forum was a place of discussion and not of insults (however justified they may be)...

greenpen said:
Aside from that, several people on this particular thread have personal knowledge of the author being discussed; am I to take it that he is a personal friend or neighbour of yours, or that you have a vested interest in his well-being?
As stated in the previous disclaimer, I have absolutely NO personal knowledge, interest, or otherwise in Jeffrey Carver.

I understand that YOU on the other hand have direct knowledge of him, had bad experience, and strong opinions. I don't know anything about him and hence won't deny any of the facts that you put on him. However, even if he WERE the baddest genocidal murderer in history, and a writer at that, I would still not think the kind of language used (not the vocabulary, mind you) has its place on the forum ... hence my message.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No one is talking about anyone with the name you keep saying. And we are not slurring anyone, I am entitled to have an opinion of a man I know about and have had the misfortune to come across albeit in a way that wasn't face to face.

The thread was about the irony of me ending up in bed - so to speak - with a man that I have very bad memories of. If you don't understand the puns, then you obviously don't know the man we speak of and as such have no right to comment on what we say.

·
Registered
613 Posts
You're right, as evidenced by my not even writing the same name as you, I don't know who you're talking about.

Obviously, as a non native english speaker, I may have misunderstood some of the content of the 2nd-8th post, or that of the "slurring" word, as I find them quite well matching.

ascepticalmedium said:
The thread was about the irony of me ending up in bed - so to speak - with a man that I have very bad memories of. If you don't understand the puns, then you obviously don't know the man we speak of and as such have no right to comment on what we say.
I quite got the thread's subject, and as stated repeatedly, don't find it in any way displaced her. It's the following ones that irked me.

I'll leave it at that. Sorry for having interrupted such a great discussion.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Quote from: greenpen on Today at 11:38:53 AM
May I ask you two questions Who is jaffrey Carver

For all I know an author.

That is rather a nonsensical reply as you are the only person to have mentioned him in the first place.

Quote from: greenpen on Today at 11:38:53 AM
and why are you here on WRITERS CAFE as you are, by your own admission, not an author.
Because I'm interested in ebooks and self-publishing, the new potential for otherwise unknown authors to publish, sell, and sometimes make a living from their passion whereas earlier it was only for a select few... and for readers to get more books that pass "their own" gatekeeping for their own consumption.

So that gives you the right to censor authors on their own forum, does it?

Of course authors are allowed to discuss their peers (and I don't get the pun, could you please elaborate ?), but for me the expressions used in the preceding posts were beyond "discussion", and were much more insults than polite discussion, hence my reaction.

If you don't get the pun you have no knowledge of our subject matter whatsoever. I do not believe I myself have written anything that is beyond discussion. I only spoke of what I know to the the truth of the matter, and a few rumours.

Not at all. I thought it a given (and had no otherwise contradictory example) that the KB forum was a place of discussion and not of insults (however justified they may be)...

So what is preventing you from ignoring this thread and moving on? Nobody forced you to participate in a discussion you seem to find distasteful.

As stated in the previous disclaimer, I have absolutely NO personal knowledge, interest, or otherwise in Jeffrey Carver.

Nor do I. He is obviously a figment of your imagination. We weren't discussing such a person before you mentioned the name.

I understand that YOU on the other hand have direct knowledge of him, had bad experience, and strong opinions. I don't know anything about him and hence won't deny any of the facts that you put on him. However, even if he WERE the baddest genocidal murderer in history, and a writer at that, I would still not think the kind of language used (not the vocabulary, mind you) has its place on the forum ... hence my message.

What kind of language would it be that you find so distasteful? FYI, this was a discussion about a well known author whom some of us have had dealings with. I dare say most of what we discussed is probably in the public domain anyway. I very much doubt anybody apart from yourself is familiar with this Jeffrey Carver person you keep rabbiting on about. So if you just stop reading this thread and leave us alone, there won't be a problem.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
just googled Jeffrey Carver - apparently he's a US sci-fi author. Maybe this non stop mentioning of him was a ploy for us to buy his books? If so, wasted on me

·
Registered
586 Posts
ascepticalmedium said:
just googled Jeffrey Carver - apparently he's a US sci-fi author. Maybe this non stop mentioning of him was a ploy for us to buy his books? If so, wasted on me
Me too, only even more so now that I've heard this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcrKIMf6sJo in June.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.