Kindle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone share the *specifics* of adding a second person to my Amazon account for book-sharing?  (I know it can be done, but I'm not clear on the "how.")

I have a K2, and my step-mother, who lives in another city, is about to order one.  She has ordered from Amazon before, so she already has an Amazon account.

How exactly does she order her Kindle so we can share books on my Amazon account?  Does she sign in with my password and place the order that way?  And after that, does she just select her credit card from the list to order books for her Kindle? 

I'd appreciate any info from those of you who share your Amazon account and Kindle books with others! 

·
Registered
947 Posts
It can either be ordered on your account, or be added to it later (via the web interface or directly from the Kindle).  That's the easy part.  The tricky part is billing for books.  You CANNOT designate a different credit card for each Kindle.  Whatever is saved as your 1-click default will be used for ALL purchases.  So if one of you wants to buy something with your own card, you need to log into the Amazon website and change the 1-click payment method to the correct card, then make the purchases (either from the web or from the kindle itself).  There are a couple of ways you can make this easier:

1.  Put everything on one card, and on a regular basis (monthly, perhaps), backbill the other party for their purchases--"Hey mom, you spent $76.20 last month, pony up."
2.  Apply gift cards to the account, make purchases using them, then simply refill them based on how much each of you spent the previous month.
3.  Set your Mom's credit card to be 1-click all the time, so she can make direct purchases without logging in.  When you want to buy something, change it to your card, buy what you want, then immediately switch it back.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm using gift certificates now for book purchases, and my Amazon Visa card for my subscriptions.

This sounds like it's going to be complicated.  Probably worth the trouble, but complicated....

Has anyone come up with a simpler way?

·
Registered
544 Posts
BK said:
I'm using gift certificates now for book purchases, and my Amazon Visa card for my subscriptions.

This sounds like it's going to be complicated. Probably worth the trouble, but complicated....

Has anyone come up with a simpler way?
I'm doing the same thing, BK. Works pretty well for me!

·
Registered
277 Posts
I share with a friend and I gave her my password, I trust her, she can't see my full credit card number but she could buy things from Amazon on my creditcard, but I'd know it was her. My card stays as the oneclick so that I can buy from my Kindle or online. She switches to hers to buy from the computer. Only once did we have a booboo and then she just bought the next book. It has been really simple.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I'm like ModKindle. I have a friend on my account. She doesn't have my logon and PW. She buys books from her Kindle and pays me back via paypal. I buy books, too, and we share. It's worked out fine.

L

1 - 6 of 6 Posts