Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Melanie lives in Normandy near the American Cemetery at Colleville Sur Mer. My uncle, Joseph V. Gouveia, was killed fighting in France in 1944 and is buried in the American Cemetery. He was 19 years old. He survived the D-Day landing at Omaha Beach only to be killed a few weeks later fighting near St. Lo. Melanie was kind enough to find his grave and send me some photos and she also made me a video of the cemetery and surroundings. My mother, who is now 85, was so grateful to see this video. She says at the time she talked her mother out of having Joseph's body brought home. She says now, thanks to the grave photo and the video, she knows she made the right decision and she is so happy her brother rests in such a beautiful and peaceful place with his fellows.

Here's the video if anyone cares to take a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDvXEQl37fQ

Thanks again, Melanie. Melanie is the author of the great books Impeding Justice and Final Justice.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I don't know your Mom or your uncle, LC, but that video brought tears to my eyes.  What a wonderful tribute to your uncle and gift for your Mom.  And how truly generous of Melanie to do this for you.

Patricia

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
That's wonderful, LC! Mel, you're a treasure. What a gift for LC to be able to share with her mother.

I've been going through the names on the New Zealand memorial at Passchendaele (WWI), and found that the home address of one of the fallen soldiers is just around the corner from me - and the house is still there. I'm finding it a moving sight when I pass it now.

·
Registered
977 Posts
When so many horrible things are happening in the world, to hear of this type of thoughtfulness and kindness is truly inspiring! Thank you for sharing and brightening the day for all of us.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
OMG!! What a wonderful thing to wake up to. Thank you Linda, the pleasure was all mine, I had no idea this was memorial weekend, as you know I've been trying to get there since March, but promotion always gets in the way.

And thanks to everyone for their kind words, to say my eyes are a little damp would be an understatement.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Mel has always been a popular member of the writing community and this selfless and generous act shows you why. What a star - well done Mel on being such a giving and warm human being - if only all were like you the world would be so lovely xxx

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks again, Mel. I have both your books and I am now moving them to the top of my TBR list. My mother says to tell you thanks from the bottom of her heart. This really meant a lot to her.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Linda you didn't have to buy my books, but thank you.

It means a lot that the gesture touched your Mum so much.

It's one of those places I go to every year to put life in perspective. (It's also mentioned in my book too.)

On certain days at midday, they play the US national anthem, unfortunately it didn't happen on the day I went. Now, that gets the visitors choked up.

Have a great Memorial Day, we owe so much to the men who gave their lives.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts