Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in my limited knowledge of the kindle, i've read on the boards that the K1 has expandable memory, but the K2 does not? So, how quickly does your Kindle fill up? I know these are pretty basic questions, but im pretty clueless.

Thanks!

·
Registered
788 Posts
I don't think I'm average here, but I have a 4gb SD card in my Kindle and there are 3.5gb free. I keep EVERYTHING on the SD card.

I got my Kindle in the first week of November.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yeah, 1400-1500 seems to be the magic number. Personally, that's PLENTY for me, but i guess there are some die hards out there who aren't happy about it.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Books is not the problem.

Audio is the problem. The Kindle plays mp3s and can holds audiobooks (which have better voice acting than the gps voice, generally. See World War Z.)

Books take up a teeny tiny amount of space, where as large audio files are 3mb and up.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Mikuto said:
Books is not the problem.

Audio is the problem. The Kindle plays mp3s and can holds audiobooks (which have better voice acting than the gps voice, generally. See World War Z.)

Books take up a teeny tiny amount of space, where as large audio files are 3mb and up.
That's what my iPod is for - audio. I have no plans to install audio files (MP3, audiobooks, or otherwise) on my Kindle. I think I can live with the internal memory. I can always archive off to my laptop (to my 16GB SD card). True - it won't be online, but I think I can live with that.

·
Registered
788 Posts
That's perfectly fine for you, don't get me wrong. I'm not planning on putting audio on my Kindle either. But the fact remains that the MP3 player is THERE. If they didn't want to give us enough space to put audio on it, they should have just removed the MP3 function from the Experimental page. As it stands now, the Kindle 2 can barely hold two full albums, and someone, somewhere, is going to try to use the Kindle to play music or audiobooks.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Mikuto said:
That's perfectly fine for you, don't get me wrong. I'm not planning on putting audio on my Kindle either. But the fact remains that the MP3 player is THERE. If they didn't want to give us enough space to put audio on it, they should have just removed the MP3 function from the Experimental page. As it stands now, the Kindle 2 can barely hold two full albums, and someone, somewhere, is going to try to use the Kindle to play music or audiobooks.
No disagreement from me on this point. I'm just glad I can say it most likely won't apply to me. I'm not in the camp that I need one device that does all functions. I like best-of-breed devices. I have to schlep more around, but I also am not putting all my eggs in one basket.

·
Registered
788 Posts
jmeaders said:
No disagreement from me on this point. I'm just glad I can say it most likely won't apply to me. I'm not in the camp that I need one device that does all functions. I like best-of-breed devices. I have to schlep more around, but I also am not putting all my eggs in one basket.
I'm still convinced I could carry a small child in the purse I carry. I "schlep" plenty around. DS, portable hard drive, Kindle, reading glasses, etc, etc, etc. I can see how the thinner Kindle would appeal to men in this sense, you don't see a lot of men carrying a purse.

Well maybe I do, but I'm pretty close to San Francisco.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
I will have you know that my man bag will go with me most everywhere I go holding my Kindle. of course it also has a concelled carry option. ;)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Why on earth would you need MORE than 1500 books on your Kindle at any one time? When in fact, you can log on to Amazon and switch them out if you want.

That's like having an iPod and complaining you cant put 200k songs on your ipod at more than one time. There's a point when enough is enough.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
What they did with the removal of the SD card slot is move the K2 more narrowly into the book reader column (maybe they got bigtime threats from Apple?)
----

I took my SD card out, I have 228 items on the device-with a healthy sprinkling of samples and still have memory left.  The problem I have with the lack of SD card is that I don't want to have to struggle through 19 pages of content including my reference books on a daily basis (since I cant categorize anything), but would like the option to pop in my SD card when I need to look something up. 

·
Registered
193 Posts
intinst said:
I will have you know that my man bag will go with me most everywhere I go holding my Kindle. of course it also has a concelled carry option. ;)
That is a sweet bag! Ill probably pick one up next month.

·
Registered
788 Posts
It all boils down to convenience and choice.

200k songs on iPod = 200k songs you can listen to at a moment's notice.

1500+ books on the Kindle = 1500+ books you can start reading at a moment's notice.

It's simply faster and more convenient to have everything on your device, rather than having to switch things around by say, using a playlist for your iPod, or using whispernet to download a book you want to read.

It might not be a huge difference in time, but the difference is there.

Besides, 1,500 books is assuming you're not listening to audio books or classical music while you read. Start putting mp3 files on a device with 1.4gb of usable memory and just WATCH how quickly it disappears.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Mikuto said:
Besides, 1,500 books is assuming you're not listening to audio books or classical music while you read. Start putting mp3 files on a device with 1.4gb of usable memory and just WATCH how quickly it disappears.
This is where my iPod comes in to play. For me, this is not what the Kindle will be tasked with. So this just isn't going to be as big of an issue for my uses.

·
Registered
788 Posts
jmeaders said:
This is where my iPod comes in to play. For me, this is not what the Kindle will be tasked with. So this just isn't going to be as big of an issue for my uses.
As you've said before. And as I said before, if they didn't intend for you to store mp3s on the Kindle there shouldn't be a "play mp3" feature. I'm sure there are people who will want to use their Kindle for that purpose.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a couple of audiobooks and other files on my Kindle--and they I do use the extra room my SD card offers.  The most handy thing for me was being on a flight and having several people behind me who would not stop talking loudly during the whole flight.  I did not feel like music, so I put on an audiobook.  The sound of the narration drown out their voices and the voice of the narrator on the audiobook put me to sleep.  Worked a charm!  For me, this is the reason I will keep K1 over K2--I like the ability to have more space if I need it--I like the ability to change the battery and K2 just did not offer enough of an upgrade for me to switch.  Maybe K3?....

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Benjamin said:
The k2 has 1.4 gigs of usable memory (around 1400 books).
It would take a while for me to get 1400 books. That's plenty of space.

·
Registered
460 Posts
1400-1500 books is a pretty massive amount. It's a shame about the SD slot, but it seems like a good trade-off for the thinner size of the Kindle.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts